Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the pitfalls of using a lower octane in the SRT8? Can they be overcome with the tuner? I know I'll get the "if you were worried about the cost of gas...." comments. But gas is over $4 bucks out here in the Bay area. Who could've anticipated that? Actually it could've been anticipated. Just not by me. :nervous s

·
Registered
939 Posts
I'd never put lower than 91 in an SRT8; the engine was designed with 91 as the "basement". You could use the tuner to remove timing, so that's theoretically possible. Just like shooting yourself in the foot, though.

Or you could, I suppose, go lower octane and never give it more than 30% throttle. Or just trade it in on a 5.7 with MDS?

Or drive it less; carpool for a week every month... but I just wouldn't put anything less than 91 in the tank if I planned on actually using the throttle.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
What are the pitfalls of using a lower octane in the SRT8? Can they be overcome with the tuner? I know I'll get the "if you were worried about the cost of gas...." comments. But gas is over $4 bucks out here in the Bay area. Who could've anticipated that? Actually it could've been anticipated. Just not by me. :nervous s
The bottom line is that if you can't afford to put at least 91 octane gas in the car then you can't afford the car.

Everything in life has a price to pay and we all make decisions based on our wants, needs, and budgets to get the best mix of those decisions.

Sounds like the SRT8 is a bridge too far for you.

sell

·
Registered
377 Posts
I hear Boyblu is selling his car cheap?...awesome.:lol: :nervous s

Just kiddin.

I would suggest that you stay with the higher octane due to timing, just my .02.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The bottom line is that if you can't afford to put at least 91 octane gas in the car then you can't afford the car.

Everything in life has a price to pay and we all make decisions based on our wants, needs, and budgets to get the best mix of those decisions.

Sounds like the SRT8 is a bridge too far for you.

sell
Dude, I was asking a question about hurting the car using a lower octane and you're talking about what I can afford. WTF?! I just don't like paying a hundred bucks everytime I fill up. The SRT8 isn't a freakin Maserati Quattroporte which I can also afford. A bridge too far? Give me a break.

This site was really cool when I joined a couple years ago. Nice guys and good information. I've noticed most of the old guys don't come here anymore. Just a bunch of tools like you making dumbass assumptions!

Oh and thanks rw99 and Wrath. That's the kind of answer I was looking for.

·
Registered
676 Posts
91 octane minimum or you could get the 87 octane and add an octane booster. I don't know if you would be saving any money by doing that though, not likely.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
91 octane minimum or you could get the 87 octane and add an octane booster. I don't know if you would be saving any money by doing that though, not likely.
Thanks. Again, the kind of info I was looking for.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I agree, you were just wanting to know the effects of lower octane fuel in
the srt. It's not a question if you have the money. You have the car and youre buying the fuel now. Get real !

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Do not use octane boosters. They can foul things up, literally. You just have to bite the bullet and put in the high octane. The combination of the compression and timing require it. If you do run lower octane, be very careful how you drive it, and listen for any signs of knock. You might be able to get away with it back and forth to the grocery store or work, but if you get caught having to climb a steep grade it would probably knock like crazy.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
blu, just put him on the ole ignore list. hes there on mine.

as far as what you should run 91 or 89, i would def stick with the 91. not only with the car run poorly with a lower quality gas, but with a lower octane you would get a pretty bad idle. not to mention the life of the car would go down as well as the resale value. its like running regular on a stock turbo car, pretty soon you really notice how bad the car runs.

as far as being able to afford the $60 dollar a pump visit, i doubt a lot of the jackasses here talking sh*t can afford that. i make a "bit" over $60 an hour and still hate how much i spend in gas a week. our cars sure as hell are efficient like an ls6, ls2, ls1, ls7, etc...you get the point.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
using an octane booster is a horrible idea. i would never recommend using one. they do not mix efficiently and cause more issues than you would like to deal with.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
My question is will it hurt anything. I put 93 in mine all the time but lets say I have a brain fart and put 87 in it by accident and dont notice. What will happen?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
blu, just put him on the ole ignore list. hes there on mine.

as far as what you should run 91 or 89, i would def stick with the 91. not only with the car run poorly with a lower quality gas, but with a lower octane you would get a pretty bad idle. not to mention the life of the car would go down as well as the resale value. its like running regular on a stock turbo car, pretty soon you really notice how bad the car runs.

as far as being able to afford the $60 dollar a pump visit, i doubt a lot of the jackasses here talking sh*t can afford that. i make a "bit" over $60 an hour and still hate how much i spend in gas a week. our cars sure as hell are efficient like an ls6, ls2, ls1, ls7, etc...you get the point.
My thanks to NYT, High 88 and HEMISRBAD. Thats the input I was looking for. I'll be sticking with the 91 octane. When I was a kid I put whatever in my 70 Cutlass with the 350 Olds Rocket motor and it still ran great. I had a feeling that it might be disastrous with the SRT.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
My question is will it hurt anything. I put 93 in mine all the time but lets say I have a brain fart and put 87 in it by accident and dont notice. What will happen?
imho, once or twice in a blue moon wont hurt anything. regular use will.

its amazing what your heads and pistons look like when you tear an engine apart that has been running super hi qual gas and one that is running something like arco regular.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Dude, I was asking a question about hurting the car using a lower octane and you're talking about what I can afford. WTF?! I just don't like paying a hundred bucks everytime I fill up. The SRT8 isn't a freakin Maserati Quattroporte which I can also afford. A bridge too far? Give me a break.

This site was really cool when I joined a couple years ago. Nice guys and good information. I've noticed most of the old guys don't come here anymore. Just a bunch of tools like you making dumbass assumptions!

Oh and thanks rw99 and Wrath. That's the kind of answer I was looking for.
Dude, you are full of crap. If you can afford a Maserati then you wouldn't sweat putting 91 octane gas in your car unless you are incredibly stupid.

Only a dumbass who is supposed to be wealthy would even ask this question.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
I agree, you were just wanting to know the effects of lower octane fuel in
the srt. It's not a question if you have the money. You have the car and youre buying the fuel now. Get real !

BINGO

We have a real $3 bill here.

I am wealthy but I don't want to use the fuel my car was designed to use so I can save $2 per fillup

please

Say stupid things and you will get a stupid response

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Dude, you are full of crap. If you can afford a Maserati then you wouldn't sweat putting 91 octane gas in your car unless you are incredibly stupid.

Only a dumbass who is supposed to be wealthy would even ask this question.
I didn't say I was wealthy. I simply wanted to know how the car would react with lower octane. You implied I should sell my car as if the SRT8 was some sort of exotic super car. You are the dumbass as well as an *******. And I could absolutely afford the price of a Maserati if my family wasn't more important than what I drive.

What a MAROON!!! That's a Moron in case you didn't get to watch cartoons as a kid.

Oh and by the way, Hemisrbad was backing me not you. So your "BINGO" was incorrect. I'm sure they offer some Adult Education classes at a high school near you. A reading comprehension class might be just the ticket for you.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey bro check your owners manual. Sounds basic but a lot of times the manufacturer will tell you what they recommend. If the manual says it recommends a minimum of 87 then you should be ok with 87. If it reads 91, then stay with that or better.

Basically with lower octanes the timing is decreased when a ping is detected. The higher octane is, the computer senses more efficient fuel is being used and will add timing thus giving you more power and efficiency. Better fuel is part of your ECU variable. Sucks about the prices in Cali.

I have a beater I drive so that I don't have to fill up the big ones (Armada) very often. IMO having a beater that gets good gas mileage and saves wear and tear on your nice car should be close to mandatory. :)

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Consider this: You will get WORSE mileage!

The knock sensors will be working overtime, the timing retarded, you will be down on power, throttle response, possibly driveability and your mileage will be WORSE. It is NOT worth it.

If you really want to save money on gas, make sure your tires are over 34psi all around and have a really, really light foot.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts