Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am surprised to see how good my gas mileage is now in the R/T after 3500 miles. Today I grannied a 30 mile round trip in the right lane the whole way at about 65. I got 28.5 mpg going and 25 mpg returning. (I think the return was more up hill.) Windows up, no AC. I am amazed this beast can get that mileage! I never thought the sticker MPG rating was gonna be true. Nice Surprise.

Last time I tried a similar test, I was getting about 5mpg less. I wonder if the MDS works during the break in period. I did an oil change over the weekend. Could that have helped wake up the mds system? They don't ship these cars with a break in oil do they?

Would be cool if there was some way to tell when the MDS was operating.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The operative word is "grannied". MDS works from day one. Within my first few hundred miles I was able to see 23 - 26 mpg. The highest is with cruise control on only. As soon as you don't "granny" it, your back down to 15 - 17 pretty quickly.

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
At 275 miles, all city driving, I'm still trying to break 12mpg. So far I'm averaging 10-11.7 (just started my 3rd tank of 89 octane). Apparently things change A LOT as mileage increases or my city driving aint their city driving.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
mnunes said:
At 275 miles, all city driving, I'm still trying to break 12mpg. So far I'm averaging 10-11.7 (just started my 3rd tank of 89 octane). Apparently things change A LOT as mileage increases or my city driving aint their city driving.
The way I drive I average about 12 MPG. :wave:

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NeedHP said:
As soon as you don't "granny" it, your back down to 15 - 17 pretty quickly.
You won't go below 20 on the highway unless you have a hole in your gas tank.

·
Registered
20 Posts
NECharger said:
You won't go below 20 on the highway unless you have a hole in your gas tank.

I agree with that statement until you start crossing over the 80 mph mark. At 85-90 the drinking habit reappears.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
i am getting right at 24.3 on highway and trust me i have done a ton of highway milage lately and then in the city i am lucky if i am touching 12 mpg!!!! i race to the speed limit whether i am alone or there are tons of cars on the street....i love the way the hemi sounds!!!!

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
hey daytona r/t i see you lurking in here trying to stay ahead..........

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
GoDaddy said:
hey daytona r/t i see you lurking in here trying to stay ahead..........

Man! I got a lot of typing to do.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
man if you get to 1000 tonight i will sh*t myself laughing..............

·
Registered
630 Posts
My first tank full was 241.7 miles and filled with 15.601 gallons, giving me a calculated 15.49 mpg. That was a mix of highway and city, light throttle and a few WOT spurts. Not to bad when you consider I was getting close to that with my Intrepid 3.5L V6 (all city) and I rarely pushed it as hard as I am with the Charger. :) Cannot wait for the first extended road trip (possibly heading to Scottsdale around New Years for a hockey tournament).

·
Registered
143 Posts
The MDS only works between speeds like 18 to 80 mph. I forget the exact numbers, but its around on the forum somewhere (maybe lxforums). My only high mpg is achieved with the cruise control. Either too many hills or I just can't get my right foot to stay still long enough.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
You can hear the MDS when at high speed... going up and down hills. As you come to a hill... and your in "cruise-control" you can hear the MDS going into 8 cycl. It sounds like a burp of power. (can't really explain the sound) You know when its doing it. Also when your doing 65-70 and you want to pass... the car for a second trys and does the pass on 4 cyc... then in a second you can feel the power come up and bang... the car flys.

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
nCHARGE said:
You can hear the MDS when at high speed... going up and down hills. As you come to a hill... and your in "cruise-control" you can hear the MDS going into 8 cycl. It sounds like a burp of power. (can't really explain the sound) You know when its doing it. Also when your doing 65-70 and you want to pass... the car for a second trys and does the pass on 4 cyc... then in a second you can feel the power come up and bang... the car flys.
Yeah, not quite the imperceptible 40ms they claim, but that's exactly right.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
My Daytona got 24.2 MPG on the way home from the Dealer. The car started out with 20 miles and the trip was about 30 miles of mostly open road with stop lights every 3-4 miles. My car is currently averaging 15.4 combined around town and to and from work. For the most part I drive pretty conservatively but I do play some.

The first tank of gas I averaged about 12.7 even after getting 24+ for the first 30 miles !!!

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anybody know who the computer figures out how much gas you used to calculate the MPG? I think it is accurate but I am curious how it works.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Its just my guess, but it monitors the level of the tanks. I would it could do it all based on that. If you are able to put your ECM into test or diagnostic mode there is a screen that details the levels of both sides of the tank and the average fuel available. That seems pretty accurate.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My first tank was 16.4, the second tank was 17.6. That is about 75% city and 25% HWY. I am running 87 octane because we only have 85, 87, and 91. I would say that about 40% of the driving is "drive it like you stole it". The computer has been real close with both of those figures, actually the 16.4 was 16.5 on the computer and the 17.6 was, ..... I think 17.5 but I can't really remember for sure, I just remember that they were both real close tho the calcuated figures,

1 - 20 of 30 Posts