Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2014 SRT Charger
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all, need some advice on something.

I want to cut out and replace my exhaust valves with some straight pipe (the valve actuators are SUPER squeaky) - which I believe are mechanical, not electric like the 2015+ models - and was wondering if anyone has done that and whether or not that would throw a CEL?

Much obliged :D

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
You might have better luck finding a cheap factory take-off. Just saw one on Craigslist not too long ago. I'd sell you mine if I wasn't saving it for when I trade the car in lol.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
If they are just squeeky, go to your local auto parts store and buy Heat Riser Valve spray. Spray the valves liberally and rotate them a few times until the squeek stops. Cheap easy and effective fix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If they are just squeeky, go to your local auto parts store and buy Heat Riser Valve spray. Spray the valves liberally and rotate them a few times until the squeek stops. Cheap easy and effective fix.
Hindsight is 20/20
At the time of removal, all I was focused on was the squeaking, so I just had them remove them. It wasn’t until 2 weeks later when I was driving hard that the CEL went on, and then I started to pay attention to how the car drove differently. Then I started to research....... too little too late

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
It's only been a month or two but it seems the PCM is learning around it, I haven't had to reset the MIL so my remote start will work for awhile lol.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Hemi, do a scan of your car, it may have a exhaust back pressure irrational code stored, it does not turn on the MIL. thats what happened when i had mine open all the time.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Hemi, do a scan of your car, it may have a exhaust back pressure irrational code stored, it does not turn on the MIL. thats what happened when i had mine open all the time.
Exhaust pressure sensor definitely trips the MIL in mine lol....I've watched it happen laying into it. Almost immediately after putting the Magnaflow kit in. Took it for a spin, laid into it good and proper and ding. MIL. Also ECO light stopped working. Pulled the DTC, one P0471 exhaust pressure sensor A circuit range/performance. Didn't reset it right away because I was out and about but the next thing I noticed is that the remote start wouldn't function because of it. Not a huge deal at first, but now it's cold lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts