Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess the name of this thread pretty much spoiled all of the "guess what I just did this weekend fun" out of this thread. However, I wanted to post my success story about making something out of nothing.

Materials needed for this mod, if you call it that, included the following:

PlayDoh - .99 cents
Badgemyride Automobile Letters - 14.00 shipped (for letters "THERON")
Screw and Bolt set from Home depot -.98 cents
Plastic Enamel Black Spray Paint - 4.97
Crazy Glue - 1.97

I already had some tools that I barely use (A house warming gift). For this project I used a jigsaw, powerdrill, and sander.

Now the hardest thing to find for this mod was a piece of plastic. I couldn't find a plastic warehouse in my neighborhood. A flat black plastic ruler would have been perfect, but I couldn't find one. Go figure! Luckily I bought some blinds recently and kept the box realizing that it may come down to using that for this mod. It is the white box looking thing in the picture above.

To get started, of course, I laid the letters on the plastic and traced them. Then I cut the pattern out of the plastic and used the sander to smooth the edges for a "product look." LOL!

Unfortunately, I do not have pictures for this next REALLY NEAT step that I thought of. After the plastic was cut, I pressed it on some PlayDoh and stripped the excess off with a razor. When I pressed the plastic and PlayDoh on the Daytona Grill, it left an imprint in the clay. This allowed me to asses desired location and know exactly where to drill the holes for the screws. I picked spots that would hug the grill really well and assure a horizontal display.
Then I drilled holes in the plastic in areas that would also avoid the letters. I also took a larger drill and scraped the surface of the plastic as to create a rivet so the screw could lay as flat as possible.

The next steps called for (1) painting the plastic black, (2) painting the screws black, and (3) eventually sticking the letters on the plastic cutout.

I then created a duplicate plastic plate and painted that. This was used as a backing that I could use on the inside of the grill. The screws go through the custom plate, pass throught the grill, and then passes throught the duplicate plastic cutout, and there they meet the bolt. This allowed me to tighten the badge really well.

The final product looks like this:

Here is a picture of it up close and personal. You can see the screws in this picture.

Any comments or thought would be appreciated. I am just glad I finally got this done. It has pre-occupied the back of my mind ever since I placed the order for the automobile letters.

If I could do it again:
1 - I would probably wait a few days to touch the painted plastics before installing. It felt wet, but was for the most part pretty dry after sitting overnight. However, on the spot right between the "E" and "T" I created a blemish in the paint when I tightened the screw bolt to make it tight. I do not think it can be seen in the pic, but I know it is there....and that is all that really matters.
2 - Have more patience and find a black plastic ruler. The letters are 1 inch tall and most rulers are 1 inch thick. It would have saved alot of cuting; however, the cutting sort of added to the feeling of accomplishment and kept me outside with my son.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Tomorrow I plan to recreate the picture in my avatar and recreate that image with my custom text in the grill. Might need some photoshop help with that, any helping hands out there?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I thought the emblem was gonna say "THE RON" Hahahahah. Looks good man. I just put my black honeycomb grille insert on my black charger today and am putting the oldschool chrome script charger emblem in it next weekend when it arrives!

·
Registered
494 Posts
the cutting sort of added to the feeling of accomplishment and kept me outside with my son.[/quote]

Spending the day Modding with your son is THE payoff. Looks great! Now you given me some new ideas for the grill....Let the custom modding begin! Awesome job!:rockon:

·
Registered
494 Posts
I thought the emblem was gonna say "THE RON" Hahahahah. Looks good man. I just put my black honeycomb grille insert on my black charger today and am putting the oldschool chrome script charger emblem in it next weekend when it arrives!
I have the old school script....let me know how you did it and you must post pics!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I thought it would read "THERON" while the other side read "CHARLIZE"...

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Doctor, you are indeed getting funkier by the day! Nice work, great idea. Putting an SRT grille in mine on Sunday, but with a now rather conventional R/T badge......but you got me thinking of other possibilities - d*** you!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Nicely done!

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought it would read "THERON" while the other side read "CHARLIZE"...
That was definately palanned....didn't want to ruin the surprise completely.

I can't stop thinking how that would be a great car name "Charlize" or even the "Theron."

I do not know which is prettier.....the car or the girl. LOL!

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
haha, i was gonna say the same...i thought ur name was ron and u were gonna put "THE RON" but sweet job man...

·
Registered
358 Posts
Nothing like a personal touch to set yours apart from the rest. I like it.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Do you have the script emblem with the prongs in the back or the one with 3m tape? If you have the one with the prongs you can secure it from the back.
I do have the prongs but they dont seem to extend far enough through the (Daytona) grill. I can't seem to figure out how to secure it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts