Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woohoo! Another exhaust thread! :lol:

Among other little bits that I'll be treating my car to in the next two weeks, I'm having a full custom catback made. Nothing against Zoomers or the other vendors selling the various available setups, but I have a guy willing to do a full mandrel bent stainless setup for me for cost. Nice to have friends I guess.
From what I've gathered, most all of the aftermarket systems are similar, utilizing 2.5" pipe w/ an x-pipe, mufflers (take your pick) where the suitcase was, and resonators of some variety out back. Has anyone considered a slightly larger pipe? Maybe 2 3/4"? I'm torn, as I want to open the exhaust flow up as much as possible, without sacraficing the low end power needed to get this pig moving. Has anyone experimented in this regard?
Also, I assume that the resonators out back on the aftermarket catbacks are in place to reduce drone. I've seen guys over on the lxforums that have had luck using resonator tips to accomplish the same thing.
Any thoughts from the masses? I'd appreciate your input, as I'm going to have to order the mufflers/resonators/tips in the next week.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Sounds Like The Same Problem I'm In.. I Have A Local Guy - Exhaust Depot That Wants To Do The Setup On My Car Cat-back X-pipe No Mufflers Just Resonators..for About $600 What's Your Guy Charging You..if You Don't Mind Just To Make Sure This Guy Is Maybe Somewhere In The Ballpark.. He Says It Would Take All Day To Build.. What Are Your Thoughts About No Mufflers And Just Resonators..

·
Banned
113 Posts
go no muffler + no resonators :) you would then have a "massage chair" from all the vibrations and you'd need earplugs

·
Registered
154 Posts
I ordered my Flowmaster Cat Back System and I love it. Super 40's and 4" chrome tips. It has the resonators on it and still growls enough without getting too loud. Best of all I got it in on a Thursday and called the local muffler Guy on Saturday morning at 9am to get an appointment. He asked what I had and told him the new Charger. He told me to be there in ten minutes. I pulled in and had every tech in the place ripping off the old exhaust and playing with the new one. Pulled in at 9:15 and was out with the new cans at 9:40... I had to promise to light up the back end out of the parking lot. I had all the techs applauding when I took off. It is greta to have a car that people want to see and work on because it rocks...

Big Boy with a Big Toy

·
Registered
290 Posts
Have You Had Any Drone In The Car At About 2k Rpm...a Lot Of People Say That The Flowmasters Dont Really Have That Much Deepness To Them Is That True By Your Opinion.. I'm Not Looking For A Jet Car Sound But Certainly Looking For Some Deep Sound When You Get On It.. Also Can You Let Me Know Where You Purchased Your Kit From.. Thanks I Love Flowmasters And Have Them On My 02' Conv. S/c Mustang.. But I Was Wondering How They Sound On This Car... Sounds Like You Love Them.. Let Me Know..thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
1BADHEMI said:
Have You Had Any Drone In The Car At About 2k Rpm...a Lot Of People Say That The Flowmasters Dont Really Have That Much Deepness To Them Is That True By Your Opinion.. I'm Not Looking For A Jet Car Sound But Certainly Looking For Some Deep Sound When You Get On It.. Also Can You Let Me Know Where You Purchased Your Kit From.. Thanks I Love Flowmasters And Have Them On My 02' Conv. S/c Mustang.. But I Was Wondering How They Sound On This Car... Sounds Like You Love Them.. Let Me Know..thanks
There is a bit of drone but not really noticeable if you have the radio on even fairly low. What is nice is that you can hear when the MDS Kicks in. The note drops a full octave. It is deep enough for me and doesn't piss the neighbors off. When you use the auto stick and jump on it you can really hear it. I had a friend that I trust ALOT do some drive by's while i stood outside. It was remarkable better sounding from the outside as it flew by. As far as where I got the it was from High Horsepower Performance. All I can say about them is PROFFESIONAL!!! They are the best. Great company to deal with and incredible prices. The cat back was 549 and they only charged 19.99 for shipping 2 monster boxes. I highly recommend them...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1BADHEMI said:
Sounds Like The Same Problem I'm In.. I Have A Local Guy - Exhaust Depot That Wants To Do The Setup On My Car Cat-back X-pipe No Mufflers Just Resonators..for About $600 What's Your Guy Charging You..if You Don't Mind Just To Make Sure This Guy Is Maybe Somewhere In The Ballpark.. He Says It Would Take All Day To Build.. What Are Your Thoughts About No Mufflers And Just Resonators..
$400 for the custom work, me bringing the mufflers and tips of my choice. Mine is hooked up through a good friend, but the prices seem to be pretty similar as I'd be bringing the guts of the system. My concern with no mufflers and just resonators is that with the mufflers being located under the passenger cabin, there would be too much sound intrusion. My goal is a good sounding exhaust system with better flow than stock, but without being intrusive while cruising. Yeah, I don't ask for much. :lol: I'm leaning towards going with 2.5" offset/center Borla mufflers and a resonator tip to hopefully avoid much unwanted resonance/drone. If that doesn't work, I'll have to explore adding small resonators like the available aftermarket catbacks.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
lammy said:
I ordered my Flowmaster Cat Back System and I love it. Super 40's and 4" chrome tips. It has the resonators on it and still growls enough without getting too loud. Best of all I got it in on a Thursday and called the local muffler Guy on Saturday morning at 9am to get an appointment. He asked what I had and told him the new Charger. He told me to be there in ten minutes. I pulled in and had every tech in the place ripping off the old exhaust and playing with the new one. Pulled in at 9:15 and was out with the new cans at 9:40... I had to promise to light up the back end out of the parking lot. I had all the techs applauding when I took off. It is greta to have a car that people want to see and work on because it rocks...

Big Boy with a Big Toy
I'm with you. I have Flowmaster Delta 40 mufflers and Magnaflow Resonators. I love the way it sounds and judging from the thumbs up so do others.

Performance has improved with the addition of the Mopar CAI as well. I couldn't be happier.

Now if only Gibson would release their headers. A guy on LXforums has their prototype headers on his Magnum and the boost is supposed to be enormous.:rockon:

·
Registered
14 Posts
elcapitan87 said:
Woohoo! Another exhaust thread! :lol:

A
From what I've gathered, most all of the aftermarket systems are similar, utilizing 2.5" pipe w/ an x-pipe, mufflers (take your pick) where the suitcase was, and resonators of some variety out back. Has anyone considered a slightly larger pipe? Maybe 2 3/4"? I'm torn, as I want to open the exhaust flow up as much as possible, without sacraficing the low end power needed to get this pig moving. Has anyone experimented in this regard?
Also, I assume that the resonators out back on the aftermarket catbacks are in place to reduce drone. I've seen guys over on the lxforums that have had luck using resonator tips to accomplish the same thing.
Any thoughts from the masses? I'd appreciate your input, as I'm going to have to order the mufflers/resonators/tips in the next week.
You will over exhaust it with 2 3/4", unless you've got 400 + hp, plus the fact i doubt you will find a 2 3/4" performance muffler, so you'd end up with a 3", too noisy, or a 2 1/2", back where you started, muffler. Just stick with 2 1/2". The resonated tips will make a difference, small but noticeable. Zoomers or Powertone both have tips with a propeller/impeller inside, gimick, that force the exhaust into the perforations in the tip and/or muffler, they will provide the biggest change in the sound as far as a resonated tip goes. Interior drone will be your big hurdle, but one mans drone is another mans music !!
What mufflers were you planning on using ?

Muffman

1 - 10 of 10 Posts