Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
yes, i was going to make an appointment at the local muffler shop to do a custom catback for my car, the guy that does the work does very good work he did a custom 3 inch system for my srt-4...

anyways my question is im wanting to do a catback of around 2.5 or 2.75 inch pipe and remove the huge luggage case resonator system and have just pipe run threw in its place and replace stock mufflers with 40 series flow masters.... the question is will i have enough back pressure? will this setup be very very loud? and could i see around a 15whp gain like other catback systems with this setup?

thanks

edit: this will be on a 2007 r/t 5.7 hemi

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
2.5 is all you need anything bigger and the exhaust will start to cool down and flow slower. You will have neough back pressure, most of it is found in the factory cats. you will have a mild sounding car in my opinion others will say it is loud.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I would say sound is to each ear. But are the resonators going or staying?

Scott

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
i think what he is saying is that he is going to replace the resonators with flow 40's

u cant do that. the 40's are going to go where the suitecase currently is. then u can leave the resonators or take them out. with them in your exhaust volume will not change very much. with them out there would be a big difference.

·
Registered
928 Posts
agreed, and dual 2.5 in is all you need.

·
Registered
151 Posts
i think what he is saying is that he is going to replace the resonators with flow 40's

u cant do that. the 40's are going to go where the suitecase currently is. then u can leave the resonators or take them out. with them in your exhaust volume will not change very much. with them out there would be a big difference.
I also think that 2.5 inch pipe is the best size for the 5.7.
I would like to try just the opposite. I am thinking about only using the resonaters from the Flowmaster catback sytem with the cool tips without installing the 40's as I have already replaced the suitcase muffler up front with straight pipes.
Any thoughts?
I hope I am not hijacking this thred.
Randy

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I have a 2.5 setup on my R/T with just 40s, no resos...let me tell you, you will have one of the loudest chargers on here...my friend tells me he can hear me coming about 4 blocks away, and I live in Chicago.

There ain't nuttin like Flowmaster sound!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so basically i need to put the flowmasters where the luggage case sized system is and just take off the pieces located next to the exhaust tips? i beleave i thaught the suite case sized system was the resonators infact its just the mufflers? or vis-versa? lol

so with the flowmasters and just cats and no resonators it will be really loud?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
so basically i need to put the flowmasters where the luggage case sized system is and just take off the pieces located next to the exhaust tips? i beleave i thaught the suite case sized system was the resonators infact its just the mufflers? or vis-versa? lol

so with the flowmasters and just cats and no resonators it will be really loud?
yes that is correct. the big suitecase thing in the middle is a muffler and the two ugly things the tips are attached to are the resonators. the flowmaster mufflers will only fit where the suitecase muffler is. and yes the system should be pretty loud without the resos.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not to sound stupid, but when you say loud... do you mean loud like its gonna be mildly noticable or loud like i had better let off the gas immediately when i pass a cop

thanks in advance

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
also what type whp gains could i net with this setup and 2.5 pipe? i read in the new hotrod magazine they got 15whp with a catback that looked as restricted as the stock setup

1 - 12 of 12 Posts