Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally finished my custom AFE II install. I want to thank Randy (Randysway) for some much needed advice. It took a while to get this completed but I think the results were well worth it. The AFE intake tube is plastic with a crinkle texture. I sanded the crinkle down to a smooth surface and used an adhesion promoter before laying down 4 coats or primer. I then wet sanded the primer before laying down 4 coats of the base color (TorRed). Next I laid down 5 coats of clear. When the clear dried I wet sanded using 2000 grit. I then used rubbing compound to restore the shine. About a week later I waxed it before installing it. The hardest part of the install was getting that blasted temp. sensor back in, I kept popping the rubber grommet out. It looks and sounds great!

The new AFE and everything needed to paint it.

The intake tube after being sanded smooth.

Ready to get primed.

After the 4th coat of primer.

After the 4th coat of base.

After 5 coats of clear.

The tube has been wet sanded, polished with rubbing compound, and waxed.

Installed...!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Now what you should do is use the K&N air filter oil which will change the air filter to a red color. IMO that would complete the look. Again just MY opinion.

·
Registered
154 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now what you should do is use the K&N air filter oil which will change the air filter to a red color. IMO that would complete the look. Again just MY opinion.
I asked if they had a red filter when I bought the intake. I do have the K&N oil for the filter in my wifes car. I'm thinking it would make the filter look purple if I put red oil on a blue filter.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I asked if they had a red filter when I bought the intake. I do have the K&N oil for the filter in my wifes car. I'm thinking it would make the filter look purple if I put red oil on a blue filter.
Well the only reason I even know this, is because I have a Mopar CAI which also has the blue filter. When it came time to clean it, I had bought the K&N recharger kit because it was available at the nearby AutoZone. I didn't think it would make a difference until it turned red on me. Since my filter was already dirty, it was a grey-ish color so maybe that's the reason it was such a deep color red.
I do see your point though. Since it is new it just might turn it a purple-ish color.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the only reason I even know this, is because I have a Mopar CAI which also has the blue filter. When it came time to clean it, I had bought the K&N recharger kit because it was available at the nearby AutoZone. I didn't think it would make a difference until it turned red on me. Since my filter was already dirty, it was a grey-ish color so maybe that's the reason it was such a deep color red.
I do see your point though. Since it is new it just might turn it a purple-ish color.
When it comes time to clean it I might just try that since I already have the K&N oil on hand. thx

·
Registered
154 Posts
When it comes time to clean it I might just try that since I already have the K&N oil on hand. thx
Sounds good. Great job on the custom intake.

·
Registered
48 Posts
There's nothing like putting a little "love" into a mod, it makes it that much more rewarding .You took your time and did a good job, very nice work, looks great.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Looks nice...but did you anticipate that rubbing you're going to get between the AFE2 CAI elbow and the hood? It wont look this nice after a couple of weeks of rubbing.

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
I've heard that if you bend the front screw bracket down just a hair you will not have rubbing. I don't know why I haven't gone out and done this myself but you might want to do this before you get any damage.

Oh, and BTW, that looks GREAT!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Rick,

Looks GREAT! You followed my steps precisely, came out really good! Don't stop now, you got the bug, and now it's time for the Intake Manifold, 6.1L Valve Covers & Coils and 6.1L Fuel Rails..

Another quick mod you can do is shave and paint your Fuse Box cover and polish out your FCM module, this is quick and gives a GREAT look, huge difference. Plus, it'll help balance out your Red CAI. Shave it like mine:

And, get some shock tower covers and paint those.

And, and.. I can keep going on for days :D

-R

·
Registered
916 Posts
Looks great! Can I send ya mine? LOL, I tried to do the same thing, but the krinkle coat beat me. What grit did you use to get it all smoothed out? I did paint and clear mine, but you can't really tell.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Looks great! Can I send ya mine? LOL, I tried to do the same thing, but the krinkle coat beat me. What grit did you use to get it all smoothed out? I did paint and clear mine, but you can't really tell.
i'd also like to know some more details on how you did it! (sand grit and stuff)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts