Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to pick up the wifes Charger for the trunk lid TSB and metioned about the head lights cracking. Service guy was awesome, fully covered under warrenty and strongly suggested we remove the smoked film on the head lights once the new ones are installed. It may have caused the cracking, but as far as he has knows he never seen the film. cool guy.

enclosed are the pictures of the spider cracks, those are not scratches but full cracks!

On the front for the longest time we both had film we got off a guy that sells on Ebay...the product works and looks real good, I an not 100% sure it was the cause of the cracks.

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
My car has the same cracks. I do not have any film (Rockblockers) on them. I have noticed, however, that the cracks are concentrated on the outer halves, nearest the low beam. I beleive it might be the heat from the headlight causing the crack because it is identical on both sides. I just haven't gotten around to showing it to the dealer yet.

·
Registered
465 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Feros forgot to mention one of mine is cracked to.

I think (key word here is think) the cracks are caused by the film we had on the lights - his car is much worse than mine - he drives daily with the headlights (leaves for work regularly at 5:00am) - I drive mainly during daylight hours.

The dealer is going to fix mine also :)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks more like its in the film itself. If not, its possible a rock or something may have hit the lights (its possible, not likely, but possible to have both lights hit by rocks that cause damage), and in that case, the film kept the lights from falling apart.
those pictures are with the film OFF!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks more like its in the film itself. If not, its possible a rock or something may have hit the lights (its possible, not likely, but possible to have both lights hit by rocks that cause damage), and in that case, the film kept the lights from falling apart.
there is no film on the car in those pictures, and I do believe it is from heat mianly around the low beams, I have not changed bulbs (they are still stock)

Definitely looks like it was caused from pressure.. A very unfortunate bird, perhaps..
nope I would have herd that...I am 100% sure it is not from rocks or a bird

My car has the same cracks. I do not have any film (Rockblockers) on them. I have noticed, however, that the cracks are concentrated on the outer halves, nearest the low beam. I beleive it might be the heat from the headlight causing the crack because it is identical on both sides. I just haven't gotten around to showing it to the dealer yet.
nope I would have herd that...I am 100% sure it is not from rocks or a bird

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
It won't be - it looks like the sudden (and catastrophic) stress relief within the material!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It won't be - it looks like the sudden (and catastrophic) stress relief within the material!
can you brake that down into earth words?

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
can you brake that down into earth words?
Either a chemical, or continual stress on the material makes it give up being nice and in one piece. The forces inside the material become too much for it to stay the way it was (uncracked) and the stress (pressure) in the material is released by the material breaking/fracturing - stress has been relieved. It's like bending a plastic ruler - you introduce a stress. You keep bending and eventually the stress within the ruler is too much for the ruler to endure and the ruler breaks. The two bits left in your hands have been stress relieved and go back to their straight position....although the bits in the middle are now splattered all over the floor.

I'm sure HemiChemi will be able to explain it better! :D:D

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Either a chemical, or continual stress on the material makes it give up being nice and in one piece. The forces inside the material become too much for it to stay the way it was (uncracked) and the stress (pressure) in the material is released by the material breaking/fracturing - stress has been relieved. It's like bending a plastic ruler - you introduce a stress. You keep bending and eventually the stress within the ruler is too much for the ruler to endure and the ruler breaks. The two bits left in your hands have been stress relieved and go back to their straight position....although the bits in the middle are now splattered all over the floor.

WOW that is a bit too complicated for me, all I know is nothing hit it, and they be spider cracked, plus my dealer is going to replace them free.
thanx for trying arfur, I guess I am just retarted!

·
Registered
287 Posts
WOW that is a bit too complicated for me, all I know is nothing hit it, and they be spider cracked, plus my dealer is going to replace them free.
thanx for trying arfur, I guess I am just retarted!

I agree with you Feros..... you ARE retarded! :lol:

I'm ducking and taking cover.... I expect a drive by of my office by the "top Banana short bus"

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree with you Feros..... you ARE retarded! :lol:

I'm ducking and taking cover.... I expect a drive by of my office by the "top Banana short bus"
LOL!
I'll leave my "calling card" near your Charger tomorrow :)

·
Registered
13,222 Posts

·
Registered
13,222 Posts

How could ANYONE improve on that! :grin:

It looks from the pics like the cracks are centered on where the light beam goes through the plastic. Is that correct? If that's the case, I'd suspect that it WAS either the plastic film absorbing and producing too much heat, or a defect in the headlight cover causing it to heat up from absorbing the llight.

Also, have you had the Daytime Running Lights enabled by any chance?

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I was told once about avoiding putting a film on storm windows because it will trap heat in between the panes. Over time this can cause the glass to fracture. I wonder if this same principal applies to the tint on the headlight. Perhaps the tint is causing excess heat to be retained.

·
Registered
465 Posts
or a defect in the headlight cover causing it to heat up from absorbing the llight.

That's what I think it is as I have never had any sort of film on the headlights now have I changed the bulbs. Everything is as the factory did it. And no, no DRL's eaither.

·
Registered
536 Posts
No DRL's for either of us.
No more head light covers either

Now I have to learn about my next mod - how to get rid of that silver ring around the head light.
Feros says it won't be easy because it will involve taking the headlight out and that is hard to do.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts