Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else have problems with cracked windshields? This is the second time since June that a little tiny rock thrown from someones tire has completely ruined my fancy double layer sound suppressing windshield (Pilkington EZ-KOOL ULTRA). It started out as a tiny chip which progressed to a 1" crack in one day, and then overnight grew to 3 feet long.

I used to laugh at GM guys because you could crack a GM windshield with nothing more than a scary look, while every Mopar I've had (till now) could take a direct hit from a boulder and not leave a mark. :grin2:

Anyone have a particular brand they like that holds up well?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Anybody else have problems with cracked windshields? This is the second time since June that a little tiny rock thrown from someones tire has completely ruined my fancy double layer sound suppressing windshield (Pilkington EZ-KOOL ULTRA). It started out as a tiny chip which progressed to a 1" crack in one day, and then overnight grew to 3 feet long.

I used to laugh at GM guys because you could crack a GM windshield with nothing more than a scary look, while every Mopar I've had (till now) could take a direct hit from a boulder and not leave a mark. :grin2:

Anyone have a particular brand they like that holds up well?
Luckily I've not had this issue yet. I don't know who you have your car insured by but I know progressive will repair rock chips for free (as long as it is repairable and you don't need a new windshield). I was talking to my rep the other day and I asked him what was the benefits I had with my policy (I was thinking about switching) and he started listing off all kinds of stuff and that was one of them. I'd check with your insurance agent and see if your insurance offers it because the way he made it sound is if it is fixable than they'll fix it before it gets bad.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have USAA and they will pay most of it, I was just wondering if anybody else has experienced broken windshields, as they do crack now and then, but two in 6 months is a bit much. USAA also directs you right to Safelite auto glass, and I'm not impressed with them.

To top it off I got a nail in my drivers side rear tire this morning, and it was right where the tread meets the sidewall, so it was not repairable, so I had to plop down $177 for a new Michelin tire. I suppose I should get another new one for the other side soon.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have USAA and they will pay most of it, I was just wondering if anybody else has experienced broken windshields, as they do crack now and then, but two in 6 months is a bit much. USAA also directs you right to Safelite auto glass, and I'm not impressed with them.

To top it off I got a nail in my drivers side rear tire this morning, and it was right where the tread meets the sidewall, so it was not repairable, so I had to plop down $177 for a new Michelin tire. I suppose I should get another new one for the other side soon.
I don't know what you did but you've got some bad luck :serious:

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Karma should have gone the other way, so somebody must have a voodoo doll of me....:grin2:

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Just misfortune I think. Mine has had several hits living in the frozen tundra with all the plow and salt trucks. No issues so far. Make sure they are using quality glass for the replacement windshield. I know they are acoustic windshields but they may differ in quality. Are they factory OEM windshields are aftermarket? Might be worth asking the question.

Reactions: Nudl

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
!st replacement was a safelight special, 2nd one was a supposedly much better Pilkington EZ-KOOL ULTRA, which cracked worse than the 1st replacement.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Maybe see if you can get your insurance company to pay for factory glass. Worth a try at least.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
The first week I owned my TB, bought new in 2006, I got a chip in the passenger side upper windshield. About dime sized. It has not grown or changed since then. I am very happy about that!

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Windshield gets replaced Friday at a local shop: Mopar glass (PGW) for $335 installed. USAA insurance won't pay a dime until I've paid my $500 deductible. USAA bought an interest in Safelite and they pawn you off on them as soon as you call. I've had two windshields replaced with Safelites wavy glass and won't ever go there again.

It seems as though USAA is no longer friendly to military folks: It used to cost $50 for windshields through them, but not anymore. They lost their a$$ on hurricane damage payouts in Florida and are now gouging us to make up for their losses....guess its time to start shopping around for a new insurance company.

I did a quick online quote from Geico and State Farm and they were both 1/3 less.....

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
But didn't your OEM glass only last about 12 months before it broke from a rock and the Safelight glass lasted 6 months before it broke from a rock?

I know that you realize every rock chip is different based on the impact and damage done...and the frequency of those impacts are unrelated to the glass types and that the degree to which the resulting crack runs is also unpredictable nor indicative of glass quality.

So please help me understand how you are concluding that the OEM glass is better than the Safelight replacement? It seems to me that there are too many variables and the frequency differential is not sufficient to make any conclusion of glass quality and the ability to resist a random rock impact.

If I followed that logic, then the fact that my OEM glass lasted for almost 6 years before a rock cracked it makes it superior to your glass. But we know that isn't true.

The fact that my Safelight replacement lasted 3 years before another rock impact cracked it would say it was inferior to the OEM glass by the same logic, but that would be equally incorrect.

It's a bit like saying that one coin flipped 20 times coming up heads 90% of the time is different than another coin that comes up heads only 30% of the time in 20 flips. But we know that is incorrect and only the result of random bias in a data set that is insufficient to draw an accurate conclusion.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The second windshield wasn't a Safelite, but a Pilkington (found mostly on Toyotas / GM's) and it was one hell of a big rock at 80 mph that took it out. The bad Safelite ones (one was in our PT cruiser and the other other in an old Neon) didn't chip any worse than any other windshield, they were just wavy and gave me headaches on a long trip.

The difference between OEM and aftermarket is supposed to be in the annealing process-the OEM glass getting the heat treatment several times, while the aftermarket ones only once, if at all which might be why the cheaper glass is wavy/distorted at the perimeter.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
The second windshield wasn't a Safelite, but a Pilkington (found mostly on Toyotas / GM's) and it was one hell of a big rock at 80 mph that took it out. The bad Safelite ones (one was in our PT cruiser and the other other in an old Neon) didn't chip any worse than any other windshield, they were just wavy and gave me headaches on a long trip.

The difference between OEM and aftermarket is supposed to be in the annealing process-the OEM glass getting the heat treatment several times, while the aftermarket ones only once, if at all.
Ok, that's more information than you posted before.

I get the wavy glass thing. I had a '96 F-150 that I did a Safelight replacement on and had them replacement it twice due to wavy glass that gave me eye strain due to the warping of the view through it. (they did it at no charge).

However, I have to say that the 2 Safelight replacements I've had on my '06 Charger haven't had the wavy glass issue at all and I've been very happy with them. In fact this current one is very good and I think the vision is even better that the OEM one that the car came with.

I think it's all just a matter of random luck as far as stone damage and replacement glass quality, but so far it seems from my (very) limited data set that the current Safelight glass may be better that it was 10 years ago...but that could also just be random chance.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep, I think it just boils down to luck, and in my case the only windshield available this week when I have off time to get it done. (The Safelite one that wouldn't be in until next Tuesday was $295, and they could get a salvage one for $200).

The windshield on the Neon was crazy distorted in the last foot or so on the passenger side..made the wife want to hurl...

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On my way home this afternoon I heard a weird crackling/popping sound that I thought was coming from the drivers foot well area.

Many of you know how hard it is to track down the source of a noise in these cars (the odd dash rattle, etc), well when I looked up the windshield that previously had a three foot long horizontal crack now has nice new vertical crack in the passenger side that goes from top to bottom. A couple more days and there won't be anything left:grin2:

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I have full glass coverage, no deductible, with my insurance carrier (State Farm) ... so windshield replacement is free and I get to select the glass company.
No, it does not give you an excuse to throw rocks at my windshield. :D

But my State Farm agent told me that I needed to request OEM glass. As long as I have OEM glass in my car I can request OEM replacement. Once I have non-OEM glass installed I can not request OEM glass replacement (i.e. once I go with non-OEM I'm stuck with non-OEM). OEM glass is the acoustic windshield with solar control glass. I don't know what the non-OEM glass offers. Plus my glass is etched with matching serial numbers. I had my windshield replaced last year and they etched the matching serial numbers on the new windshield.

This policy may differ between insurance companies so it's worth asking your insurance agent.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Arizona is one of the 12 or 13 states where they HAVE to offer full glass replacement. I insure my daughters car in Tempe (ASU) on my USAA policy since she is still in college.

Sadly, New Mexico does not have this provision, so if you want your insurance to pay, you have to carry a low deductible/higher premium.

·
Registered
28 Posts
kraut master...believe it or not I had the same problem. Nearly identical. Rock came up at around 123 MPH (my speed) and cracked the mopar windshield on drivers side around 7 inches instantly.

I also have USAA LOL and got replaced with a Pilkington Ultra as well. Then I had hellacious wind noise. After a second replacement, I was good!

The Safelite guy that replaced my windshield told me traditionally Mopars (newer) are what he replaces most. He stated to me that many appear more brittle than most :confused:

Anyway, you are not alone!:grin2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Safelite garbage, UsAa garbage. I had amMooar windshild that lasted through rocks bouncing of for 7 years. An minor accident caused it to crack and the replace,met was pilkington kool ultra and while replacing my windshield wiper p, the arm tapped the windshield and cracked it. It was 2 months after the replacement that a tap put a 6 inch crack that Safelite garbage made by pilkington. Safelite refused to replace it because of manufacturer warranty. It’s obviously a defect to have a windshield crack that easily.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts