Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall, took my car in for service after i noticed the check engine light turn on and a lag in between shifts. I own a 2015 Charger Road/Track . Turns out i have a cracked cylinder in my engine. The car has a 100,000 extended warranty i paid for. But now im getting the run around, it has been a week and a half since they have had the vehicle. Already took apart the engine and apparently the warranty people wanted to dig deeper to the point the dealer rep asked me where have i gotten my car serviced. Needless to say all of my services from inside/out have been done at that specific dealer. Has anybody else had to deal with mopar protection in this form? They have left mw without a vehicle and its past the 175$ max for rental coverage. Any help would be great!

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Hi Luis:
Is your warranty plan the factory backed MVP plan? If so, I am very surprised you are getting any type of run around. If the dealer in question has done all of the required servicing, they have those records on file already. Did you ever have it serviced elsewhere, or do any of the servicing yourself?

Since you mentioned "warranty people" it sounds like you might have bought a 3rd party warranty. Dealers sell the factory backed plans, but prefer to sell the 3rd party plans because they make more money up front. 3rd party warranty companies are also more likely to deny claims.

Don

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Luis:
Is your warranty plan the factory backed MVP plan? If so, I am very surprised you are getting any type of run around. If the dealer in question has done all of the required servicing, they have those records on file already. Did you ever have it serviced elsewhere, or do any of the servicing yourself?

Since you mentioned "warranty people" it sounds like you might have bought a 3rd party warranty. Dealers sell the factory backed plans, but prefer to sell the 3rd party plans because they make more money up front. 3rd party warranty companies are also more likely to deny claims.

Don
Yes its the MVP factory backed plan (WM8100N) option, i’ve called and left voice messages since Thursday and have not received a call back from the dealer. I have not done any type of servicing elsewhere. First they mentioned it would take three days to receive the new engine and then they called me the next day and mentioned that the warranty adjuster needed to stop by and check “other things”. Haven’t heard back since.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Has dealer detailed the definition of cracked cylinder? Is it the head...piston, or cracked block? Anyone saying how that could have happened?

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
If it has only been since Thursday since they told you a warranty administrator needed to check it out, I wouldn't be too concerned. That's a big warranty claim, so it's not out of the ordinary to verify it.

Sounds like you're 100% covered in terms of your service documentation.

As far as your rental coverage goes, is there a number to call for the MVP plan? If not, call the dealer's service department and tell them you need a loaner, since their delay ate up your rental car coverage.

One other option is to check your auto insurance policy, you may have rental car coverage through them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it has only been since Thursday since they told you a warranty administrator needed to check it out, I wouldn't be too concerned. That's a big warranty claim, so it's not out of the ordinary to verify it.

Sounds like you're 100% covered in terms of your service documentation.

As far as your rental coverage goes, is there a number to call for the MVP plan? If not, call the dealer's service department and tell them you need a loaner, since their delay ate up your rental car coverage.

One other option is to check your auto insurance policy, you may have rental car coverage through them.
That gives me some relief, and yes there is a number and thats the info that they gave me. Five days for a 35/day loan 175 max. But they only cover the days when the car is actually getting the work done. So i will have to wait until the new engine is actually getting put on.
As for the dealer my service rep lady usually gets me a loaner when i take it in for service or repairs but they cancelled their rental contract since the rental company decided to increased the charge to 45/day when Covid hit.
Thanks for the heads up im going to see what my insurance company can do for me.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
You're welcome. Sounds like you're good to go once they verify the failure. Hope you can get the rental car squared away.

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Luis:
It's good to hear that you have the MVP plan. Having a dealer put in a new oem engine will likely run in the $9-10K range, so they are going to do their due diligence before they approve such a repair. Good reminder by Carl to check with your insurance on the loaner. BTW, how many miles on your Charger? Keep us posted please.

Don

Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Luis:
It's good to hear that you have the MVP plan. Having a dealer put in a new oem engine will likely run in the $9-10K range, so they are going to do their due diligence before they approve such a repair. Good reminder by Carl to check with your insurance on the loaner. BTW, how many miles on your Charger? Keep us posted please.

Don
Thanks Don! Yes! The Rep at the dealer told me it was going to run 15k! Maybe that includes the labor. The car has 89,634 miles never had an issue mechanically until now. Hopefully i’ll get a nice call tomorrow morning. Ill give y'all the details!

·
Registered
5,423 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Yikes....a 6 year old car with a looming repair bill that's approximately half of what it cost brand new. Not surprised it's getting double secret scrutiny. Too bad you can't just get them to cut you a check. A local shop that you trust plus one of these is likely to be 1/3 of that cost.

Best,
Probably even less. Good chance it just needs a short block, or heads. I've seen a dealer declare an under-warranty 5.7 scrap over bad head gaskets.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
1,898 Posts
The adjuster probably wants to look for signs of overheating or low oil level. A cracked block, head, whatever raises all kinds of suspicions.

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Bob:
The MVP is the Maxcare warranty. IMO, the factory backed plans are the way to go. More expensive, but also most likely to take care of business with little to no muss or fuss. We had MaxCare on our '05 Grand Caravan, and it paid for itself, and then some. Warranties are indeed a gamble, but in this case, Luis should come out like a rockstar!

Don

Reactions: Luis D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The adjuster probably wants to look for signs of overheating or low oil level. A cracked block, head, whatever raises all kinds of suspicions.
Im glad i stay on top pf my oil changes i never wait for the level to go low and usually have it changed easily hundreds of miles before the next service ticket reccomends. At times they have even told me that my levels are good and the oil looks good as well.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Im glad i stay on top pf my oil changes i never wait for the level to go low and usually have it changed easily hundreds of miles before the next service ticket reccomends. At times they have even told me that my levels are good and the oil looks good as well.
I'm sure you'll be fine on that score, Luis. As was mentioned upthread, I'm sure they are just looking to make sure the car wasn't abused and was properly maintained. When a potential warranty claim is that high, they not only look for ways to deny it, but also to mitigate it. For example, they will sometimes agree to replace an engine but not related components, like the radiator. In your case, considering that you always had it serviced at the dealer within the recommended service schedule, and they haven't mentioned charging you for other parts, I wouldn't worry about it.

Reactions: N8ECH

·
Registered
2013 R/T
1,898 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts