Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a little mystified in that subsequent to removing my engine cover, ( '06 midnight blue pearl Magnum R/T 5.7, with AFE Stage 2, Flowmaster catback exh., and TSB for trans shifting applied,) that the car seems to be much faster.

Purely subjective, can't back it with dyno results before and after, but it is still there. This is in drive, no brake holding, wheel spinning, tire smoking, but the car plain seems to get up and move faster. Ambient temp was about 95 F, so maybe the intake manifold was cooler allowing the AFE to work more efficiently.

For all of you out there who like to dis Flowmasters, the sound has never been more resonantly beautiful, at least hearing it inside the car, as I have never heard it outside at speed.

Anyone have similar experience with engine cover removal?

Walela

·
Registered
10,655 Posts
my cover has been off the past week as I have been debating what to do with it, but I have not noticed any difference.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I haven't been able to get my cover back on since I installed my AFE. I cut that tube cause it seemed to long and now I can't get the cover back on because the tube is in the way.

·
Registered
10,655 Posts
Just lift straight up. There are 4 studs with rounded tips that pop into little grommets on the bottom of the cover.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
it just sits on there nice and tight.

yo, take your afe hose and go up to autozone and buy 2 feet of it at the same diameter. show em the hose and they can get it.

go home and stick that hose on your oil thingy, then put the cover on. then use some giant kitchen shears to trim bits away testing the length each time back onto your air intake.

2 ft of that hose is like 4 bucks

thats what i hadda do cuz i had the same problem :)

·
Registered
1,828 Posts

yo, take your afe hose and go up to autozone and buy 2 feet of it at the same diameter. show em the hose and they can get it.

go home and stick that hose on your oil thingy, then put the cover on. then use some giant kitchen shears to trim bits away testing the length each time back onto your air intake.

Yup same here.

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
If you still have the stock hose, that fits, too. It just takes a little work to get it over the aFe tube but it DOES fit.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts

I was going to buy a new hose but I just keep putting it off. I don't know if I am ever going to to put it back on. The only reason I like it on is because it says "HEMI" on it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yea..i had the same mishap with the tube after installing my AFE....oh well, if i get some time i suppose i could swing over to autozone..but as for being faster, i have yet to notice anything

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
i took my engine cover off for a day and then put it back on. i didn't notice any difference at all as far as anything being cooler or running better. the temp outside was in the 80's. as far as what's underneath the engine cover, a lot of electrical tape (rat's nest of wires). looks way better with the cover on in my opinion. while i did have the cover off, i re-wire loomed all the wires that had layers of electrical tape on them - it looks 100 % better now. I would probably leave the cover off though, if someone made some decent half valve covers for the 5.7 engine.:smoke:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts