Charger Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my Tranzformer today...gonna try to install this weekend.
Qustions:
1) How did you mount the unit? I have not opened the dash panel up yet, so not sure what options there might be. Velcro straps? Zipties? Not wanting it to rattle around or move/fall out the bottom of the dash.

2) Has anyone found a better way to wire it up other than the wire taps? I know this works, but not real keen on hard tapping the wires if there is a better way without having to leave marks/cuts on the wire insulation. Maybe direct to the pins on the TCM? What about the CAN bus connections - any way better than the taps for that as well?

I've read all the posts I could find about it, and am really looking forward to trying it out. Hopefully the weather will be nice and I can try the timers and line lock, burnout, and launch modes.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
I stuffed mine in next to the stock TCM. There's JUST enough space to get it in there. I don't remember if I put a pad of Velcro between the two but I really doubt there's much chance for it to rattle around. Definitely not going to fall out.

In my experience, once you get the wire taps installed securely they work very well. Regarding better than wire taps, unless you plan to build a splice connector somewhere your next best shot would be to peel back the insulation on the various wires and solder into them. That's definitely more risky and more permanent, and it's going to be MUCH harder to do due to the tightness of the bundles where you're going to be tapping into. Doing anything with the pins on the TCM is much riskier since you could cause a failure in the connector and that would be expensive to replace. The CANBUS connections are a bit easier since there are more places to get to the wires but there's no reason not to use the taps on those, too. On the CANBUS connections, just be sure you keep the wires as short as possible and twisted to maintain signaling integrity.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the response...was hoping there was a better alternative to the taps.
I'll prob get it installed tomorrow, was concerned about it rattling around in the dash.

Thanks!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Mine is zip tied up under the dash and I left the USB cord connected and tucked that up near the brake release for easy access

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
Mine is zip tied up under the dash and I left the USB cord connected and tucked that up near the brake release for easy access
Oh yeah, that's what I forgot to mention. Leave the USB cord accessible. I used a 6 foot extension and ran it to the passenger footwell. Most of the time it's tucked underneath the dash with just the tip peeking out between the plastic and the carpet but I can pull it far enough to connect to a laptop sitting on the passenger seat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts