Charger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i am wanting to add subs to my 08 charger se. I have never done any upgrades to any car(this is my first car and i am only 16) so i want some of your opinions.

Enclosures.

I am looking at these enclosures and i like them but i want your opinions on them and are there any others of the same style that are either better or cheaper.

The subs.

I am looking an or , which of those are better and do you have any suggestions for similar prices.

Amps.

Suggest to me a decent amp for whatever subs you say above that isnt too expensive

Installation

Besides a basic wiring kit is there anything else i need, i have a stock head unit fyi. And is there any good places to put the amp besides the back of the trunk

anything else i should know?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
well you could just get a line level converter but u seem to have no shortage of money so i would say get a new head unit... just wait till repth comes to tell you

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Guess I missed this thread. If I were you, I'd go for as much cone real estate as I could, but .5 cubes only is going to choke off anything that is 12 inches or bigger. I would probably look into a solid pair of 10 inch subwoofers. I am a big fan of the Sundown SA10's ($180 each). They sound pretty good and have decent output, as well as a relatively low price. Those SA10s will take 1.2kw RMS easily, so I would suggest an amp like the Cadence ZRS7000D or the Sundown SAX-1200D. You will need to the big three (it's electrical system upgrade; google it) to run either one of these amps. The Cadence will run you $300 and the Sundown will run you $400. You will need about 30 feet of 1/0GA for the big three, which will run you about $45. The 4GA wiring kit for the amp will cost around $30.

If that is too much for you, look at the SSA Dcons ($115 each). They will be happy with 600w RMS, so an appropriate amp will be a lot cheaper. Again, look at Cadence (ZRS series) and Sundown primarily for amps. You will not have to do the big three to run 600w RMS.

Bear in mind neither of these options are going to give you a lot of bass. They will give you more than enough bass to fill in the low end of the frequency response that your front stage does not have, but you will not be popping your trunk with bass. Not sure if that's what you want, just letting you know what you're going to do with anything you put in those Art of Noise boxes (because they're small and sealed).

Also, you will need a line-out converter to tap the high-level speaker outputs in your trunk and convert them to low-level RCAs for the amp. This is definitely not the ideal way to do things, and the bass will sound muddy and will stop increasing in volume eventually due to the head unit purposefully defeating the bass at higher volume levels. You are much better off with getting an aftermarket head unit, but I could understand if you didn't want to do that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guess I missed this thread. If I were you, I'd go for as much cone real estate as I could, but .5 cubes only is going to choke off anything that is 12 inches or bigger. I would probably look into a solid pair of 10 inch subwoofers. I am a big fan of the Sundown SA10's ($180 each). They sound pretty good and have decent output, as well as a relatively low price. Those SA10s will take 1.2kw RMS easily, so I would suggest an amp like the Cadence ZRS7000D or the Sundown SAX-1200D. You will need to the big three (it's electrical system upgrade; google it) to run either one of these amps. The Cadence will run you $300 and the Sundown will run you $400. You will need about 30 feet of 1/0GA for the big three, which will run you about $45. The 4GA wiring kit for the amp will cost around $30.

If that is too much for you, look at the SSA Dcons ($115 each). They will be happy with 600w RMS, so an appropriate amp will be a lot cheaper. Again, look at Cadence (ZRS series) and Sundown primarily for amps. You will not have to do the big three to run 600w RMS.

Bear in mind neither of these options are going to give you a lot of bass. They will give you more than enough bass to fill in the low end of the frequency response that your front stage does not have, but you will not be popping your trunk with bass. Not sure if that's what you want, just letting you know what you're going to do with anything you put in those Art of Noise boxes (because they're small and sealed).

Also, you will need a line-out converter to tap the high-level speaker outputs in your trunk and convert them to low-level RCAs for the amp. This is definitely not the ideal way to do things, and the bass will sound muddy and will stop increasing in volume eventually due to the head unit purposefully defeating the bass at higher volume levels. You are much better off with getting an aftermarket head unit, but I could understand if you didn't want to do that.
so how would the option with the dcons compare to a mopar kicker unit?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts