Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going to say the whole story because the cooling system has been driving me nuts for the past year.
For the beginning of the winter, i checked the fluids and saw it was completely empty so i topped off ran, and the topped off again until it was full(took a whole galloon). so after driving to work and back, i parked at home and woke up to all the coolant on the floor, so i topped it off again and bleed the system and did the same thing. So I went to the parts store and replaced the cap and thermostat and worked for about 3 days. All the coolant dropped when i woke up. Since my charger had hit 100,000 miles I replaced the water pump and bleed the system and this worked for about 3 weeks and had really good heat. After three weeks i went on 4 hour trip and 4 hour back, and woke up to all the coolant on the floor and car overheating. Please help Ive given up hope on this car!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
It sounds like a good pressure test will help you find it. You can do it yourself with a kit from an auto parts store or have a shop do it for you. This way you can do it on a cold engine and still pressurize the system to find the leak.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you see i know there isnt any hose leaks because, i drove it for 3 weeks without it dropping any coolant but one day it drops all in the same time

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
It sounds like boil over. Do you find the fluid on the ground mainly near the driver's side front tire or up by the passenger side front bumper?

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Is the overflow reservoir under the hood full or empty after it happens?

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
OK, you are blowing out the coolant from somewhere after stopping when the engine is good and hot. As it sits there, the pressure increases until it blows off and the coolant spills. Since the reservoir is empty, it's not the cap on the reservoir blowing or likely the reservoir itself since it's up high and would soak that side of the engine.

I'm suspicious that you have a hairline crack in the plastic housing of the radiator that doesn't leak until the pressure gets above a certain point. Then it separates, blows off the pressure and stops leaking again. It doesn't always happen probably because it's not hitting the blow off pressure all the time, just under certain conditions (like a long drive and then parked when hot).

A good pressure test can find this since when you get to the required pressure it will blow off and you can find it.

The alternative is to simply replace the radiator.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got the Radiator out and saw a big hole on the driver side of the radiator. Now once i put the new radiator in, what should i do via filling it up with coolant?

Thanks

·
Registered
400 Posts
Just got the Radiator out and saw a big hole on the driver side of the radiator. Now once i put the new radiator in, what should i do via filling it up with coolant?

Thanks
you're supposed to add the antifreeze coolant, though the top radiator hose, into the radiator until you see the coolant coming out from the t stat on the engine block. the you screw the top radiator hose into the t stat on the engine block. don't break these bolts when tightening.

then you're supposed to continue adding coolant into the reservoir after stopping and going the coolant will flush from the reservoir and you refill it until it stops flushing. really simple. you can't use any coolant.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Just to add, my wife's '05 Grand Caravan radiator started leaking a few of days ago. It's in the shop being replaced right now. It had a hairline fracture of the plastic on driver's side causing it to seep and only occasionally leave a puddle under the front when she would park it in the driveway after getting it good and hot.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You could tell where it was leaking from because off rust and corrosion, yeah it was the driver side clip between the core and plastic part.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Sweet thanks, the radiator should be here tommorow.
don't buy your radiator from mail, don't buy spectre either, and think about upgrading to srt radiator if you have a 5.7 liter engine.

every time i order a radiator or a/c condenser by mail it comes damaged. what i did was ask my mechanic for his tax id number and business card so i can get 25% off and tax free off my item at the dealership. i was quoted around 316 bucks for a a/c condenser before the tax id and 216 tax free after the tax id and it wasn't damaged.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Already ordered it and should be here anytime soon, also for 58 bucks and a lifetime warranty and delivery insurance, you cant really argue with that. I dont have any big mods for my charger. Cold air intake, throotle body, Jbl exhaust, and tuner was all ive done and think a cam wouldnt hurt. So trying to do all that extra work for the srt radiator wouldnt be necessary. And also im thinking about selling it soon for an srt8

1 - 20 of 44 Posts