Charger Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed to add some coolant like i put in from min to about half to max...I had PEAK 150,000 for makes and all models and can mix with any coolant! I called mopar service and told them this and they said it was ok to put it in....But all my car buddies say that is a major no no and i should flush it! The coolant thats in it is red and the peak is green thats why they say that "never to mix" Why would the service guy tell me that it was ok then!? lol!? Well now i sometimes smell something funny here and there and my buddy was behind me on the express way when i took off hardcore and he said he smelled something too.

Any advice!?

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Should be fine if it is for all makes and models

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See thats what i said and its just dye i think that changes those colors idk but its the smell that i sometimes smell that makes me worry

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
maybe you spilled some and it is just burning off?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
It must be HOAT compatible. HOAT is the anti-freeze installed at the factory. Sometimes referred to as G-05, orange in color.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well on this peak it doesn say anything about hoat but it says you can mix with any coolants!?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Our cooling systems are supposed to have the stuff with Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT) - Zerex G-05 is such an antifreeze:

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=10

and of course the Dodge dealer sells the Mopar branded stuff that has it as well.

What engine do you have? Some models (with 6.1L and 3.5L engines) had cooling system "gunk" issues that had an ammonia smell associated with it. The following describes the issue:

http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/LX/TSB/Rapid_Response_07026.pdf

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well i have a 6.1
And that video is pretty good!
Well i didnt put a whole lot in just from min to about half way to max but this peak **** doesnt look like it has this hoat in it! So idk what to do still lol
I havent had an crazy over heating problems! I do have a 180 tstat though
What could i look for that would give away problems!? I heard sticking something in there and seeing if it comes out jelly like

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
i will make sure to pass this along to the store manager at the Autozone i work at.

that video just reinforces what i have been saying along of that all makes all models.

also the all makes/models color is yellow, not green, i was corrected when i said it was green as well.

·
Registered
747 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Charger R/T
2 Posts
I'm new to this forum site and need to top off my coolant in my 2006 Charger R/T. Currently have green coolant in reservoir but I have a bottle of Valvoline Zerex G05 (yellow) coolant left over from a previous Dodge vehicle that I didn't open. I heard your not supposed to mix coolant colors but I really don't want to flush the current green coolant or go run to the store just to get green coolant. Please help

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Only use the coolant that is listed in the Owner Manual. For a 2006 it's a glycol base coolant with corrosion inhibitors called HOAT (Hybrid Organic Additive Technology). Later models (I think 2013 was the crossover year) use a ethylene-glycol base coolant with organic corrosion inhibitors called OAT (Organic Additive Technology).
Valvoline Zerex G05 coolant is HOAT

Green coolant is Inorganic Acid Technology (IAT) coolant. This type of coolant uses silicates as corrosion inhibitors. HOAT contains both silicates and nitrites as inhibitors. HOAT can be mixed with IAT. Neither IAT or HOAT should be mixed with OAT because OAT coolants do not have silicates or nitrites. The OAT coolant will become contaminated if silicates/nitrites are added.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I'm new to this forum site and need to top off my coolant in my 2006 Charger R/T. Currently have green coolant in reservoir but I have a bottle of Valvoline Zerex G05 (yellow) coolant left over from a previous Dodge vehicle that I didn't open. I heard your not supposed to mix coolant colors but I really don't want to flush the current green coolant or go run to the store just to get green coolant. Please help
So who put the green coolant in there?

If you've already got green which was not supposed to have been done, might be best to stick with it at this point.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Charger R/T
2 Posts
So who put the green coolant in there?

If you've already got green which was not supposed to have been done, might be best to stick with it at this point.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
No idea, haven't looked at my service records yet to see if anything has been done with the coolant since we purchased it back in Oct 2016. My Charger has never had overheating issues, the heat seems to work fine, the A/C could be colder but its fine for now (charged it last year).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts