Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, had an issue with the car and it's currently sitting with no coolant. I plan on flushing the system and refilling but I can't get to it until tomorrow night and I have a 2 hour round trip to make tonight. Would it be okay to fill it with a little bit of coolant to at least make it through today and tomorrow?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Not enough information to compute.

The short version is, just make sure you have enough of a coolant/water mix to safely make it through the temperatures you anticipate.

Whatever you do, use the correct coolant type (HOAT or OAT) called for in the manual.

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
You cannot put in "a little bit" of coolant if the system is empty. To avoid major engine damage from overheating, the system needs to be full and free from trapped air. As Carl says, be sure to put in the proper coolant so you don't invite any issues with mixing old/new and different types.

Don

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You cannot put in "a little bit" of coolant if the system is empty. To avoid major engine damage from overheating, the system needs to be full and free from trapped air. As Carl says, be sure to put in the proper coolant so you don't invite any issues with mixing old/new and different types.

Don
That's what I needed to know. I did the research already bought what I needed. Itll get flushed tomorrow for sure. Thank you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you just trying to save money on coolant or what? I admit that the coolant these cars use are expensive. But you gotta fill it up before driving it around town
I just didnt want to have to fill it up. Then drain it and refill it again the next day. I went ahead and filled it just to be safe but if I could've avoided it I would've

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
V:
We always say there are no dumb questions. Oil and coolant are the lifeblood of most internal combustion engines, so these are two things you don't want to skimp on. It's very easy to end up with a very expensive paper weight for an engine, and not cost effective. Have you figured out where the coolant went to begin with?

Don

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
V:
We always say there are no dumb questions. Oil and coolant are the lifeblood of most internal combustion engines, so these are two things you don't want to skimp on. It's very easy to end up with a very expensive paper weight for an engine, and not cost effective. Have you figured out where the coolant went to begin with?

Don
I appreciate it. And not yet. We'll be checking it tonight too. Hopefully nothing crazy. I have a solid feeling that the piston rings are worn because I'm burning through oil too. Hopefully it's something else because that's gonna hurt financially.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I appreciate it. And not yet. We'll be checking it tonight too. Hopefully nothing crazy. I have a solid feeling that the piston rings are worn because I'm burning through oil too. Hopefully it's something else because that's gonna hurt financially.
get ready dude, you may have to start shopping for another ride. If it’s losing coolant and consuming oil at a high rate than it’s probably going to have engine failure.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
get ready dude, you may have to start shopping for another ride. If it’s losing coolant and consuming oil at a high rate than it’s probably going to have engine failure.
Check engine light is on now. Codes are P2098, P0430, and P0128. I've put a lot if work into it so it sucks but I've already been looking into a new car even before the light came on

1 - 13 of 13 Posts