Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm due to get the coolant gunk issue fixed in my Charger next Saturday, along with the broken 3rd brake light in the trunk. I thought I'd throw in a photo I took today of the resevoir so you all can see what it looks like, if you can make it out.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Mine goes in tomorrow. I don't have the floaties yet, but at minimum they are supposed to add the additive and/or do the flush.

Also having the "rocks-in-the-box" cooling fan noise checked. Now, knowing my dealer, here's the call I'm expecting to get:

Dealer:

Uh, we checked, and there's nothing wrong with your coolant.

Me: - Yes, but according to the RRT, at a minimum, you're supposed to add the additive

Dealer: Uh....I'll have to call STAR. Then we'd have to order the additive.

Me: How about the fan shround stripping making the noise

Dealer: Nothing's making any noise...

And on it goes - I'll keep you guys posted!! Aremel, let us know how your fix goes.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Mine was supposed to get done last week, I called last Monday to make the appointment for Friday. Service advisor confirmed my VIN fell into the TSB..........well the dunb [edited by admin] didn't order the parts as instructed in the Rapid Response. So the parts should be here tomorrow.

As far as the high speed fan noise I just removed the shroud seals after they fell way down into the shroud and would get sucked into the blades when the fan kicked on creating the rock crusher noise. I took it to the dealer twice for this and of course they couldn't find the problem. Sometimes you have to do it yourself to have it done right.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Just a note, folks, the language filters are there for a reason, dont circumvent them. And yes, we do use judgement in applying the rules. Some violations are more blatant, than others.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've finally received some satisfaction about this issue.After quoting the rrt# to the service dept.,they've decided to replace my coolant and reservoir this Friday.My initial interaction about this problem resulted in the removal of the sediment (half wh.was dropped in my engine compartment) and that was it.
The only prob is that the dealership (5 star) told me they don't have a machine to actually flush a radiator.
They'll change out all the coolant but I think I may be left with some residual gunk in my engine (not pleasing).The dealership is trying to help but it seems everytime I have an issue the owness is placed on me to come up with the pertinent info that they need to go ahead and do the fix.I guess in their defense they've been w.out a service manager for about 3 months now.I am considering changing dealers but the next closest one I would trust is about 165 miles away in Victoria.I also ordered the 5 book shop manual today,figuring I might end up having to do some of my own servicing.As stated above sometimes if you want something done right you have to do it yourself.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe that they are replacing everything as per the service advisory. Otherwise, I am so honored guys! It's the first thing I've won here!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Too funny!!:grin: I'll let you guys know what kind of response I get tomorrow myself....

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Aremel: I would suggest that you also go with the Napa coolant filter setup some of us have used. Only because of the tremendous amount of build up in that tank. There has to be more of that lurking everywhere in the system.
I have continued to run my filter, and the coolant is perfect. After the initial flush, fill, new tank, and additive, ,my coolant was still somewhat cloudly.
The filter does an absolute perfect job getting ALL of the crud in only a week or so of use. I can give you all of the part numbers and a "how to" to make it work. Man, I feel your pain.

P.S. Per the picture, that bottle is extremely on the low side. Pour some distilled water in there.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wow - that stuff looks like Cream of Chicken soup! Nasty!:dead:

I had the ammonia smell, some white swirls and extremely minor buildup. After I mailed the PDF of the Rapid Response to my dealer (talking to them was going nowhere), he order the parts right away. After they came in, he emailed me back to set up the appointment. This morning, I dropped off my car and picked it up this evening (closing time). They flushed it and replaced the recovery jug and cap. Looks great!
NOTE: Before leaving the dealership, make sure the coolant recovery bottle is within limits. I had them add some more before I left because it was about an inch below MIN in the recovery bottle. I also noticed (based on scuff marks) that two of the hoses were not installed as far on the pipes as they were when installed at the factory. I adjusted that myself at home.
I wish you luck with your flushing. Wow...

·
Registered
575 Posts
WoW! I sure do hope they flush that cooling system good! Definitely keep an eye on the coolant level after you get it back. My problem has not come back after the dealer-performed drain/flush was done, going on 6 months now :)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Aremel: I would suggest that you also go with the Napa coolant filter setup some of us have used. Only because of the tremendous amount of build up in that tank. There has to be more of that lurking everywhere in the system.
I have continued to run my filter, and the coolant is perfect. After the initial flush, fill, new tank, and additive, ,my coolant was still somewhat cloudly.
The filter does an absolute perfect job getting ALL of the crud in only a week or so of use. I can give you all of the part numbers and a "how to" to make it work. Man, I feel your pain.

P.S. Per the picture, that bottle is extremely on the low side. Pour some distilled water in there.
Thanks. Please do and post it again for everyone. It's a worthy thing.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The coolant resevoir is a bit misleading. It looks like hell but the coolant looks pretty good. What you're seeing is actually the gunk all crystalized and attached to the sides. Yeah, it looks sick and not in a good way, but not as bad as you might think. Still, 4 days to go until it's fixed and I will feel better when it's done.

·
Registered
400 Posts
They should replace the whole coolant resevoir on your car. There's no way they'll be able to get rid of all that crap stuck on there.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No doubt. I think they are.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Just got mine done yesterday. Flushed twice, rad cap, coolant tank, and is cap replaced. Looks clean as a whistle.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Dropped mine off this morning. I'll let you guys know what they tell me. I *think* I should only need the additive - but we'll see what they say.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Well, I called it - :confused:

My service advisor claimed the RRT "does not apply to your vehicle".

I said, it should, it falls in the build-date range (I have a 9-06 build Superbee), he said - we "ran your VIN" and it does not apply.

I'm sure the reason they VIN did not come up is because they are not the selling dealer. But, I wasn't in the mood to argue. At least I have it documented. I wanted to get this done before any gunk appeared, but if (or when) it appears, I can take it back with that RRT. Why is it SO fargin' hard to get the dealers to do anything?

So, I guess I need to go buy the additive and put in in myself. What was that again - Zerex additive?

Oh, and the weatherstripping WAS loose they put it back with "new retaining clips"..

Scott

1 - 20 of 129 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.