Charger Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the first post being about wanting something from the community! I didn't know where else to go as this is a problem that has baffled three shops now.

I have a 2010 Dodge Charger SXT with under 200,000km on it. I have been experiencing problems with it overheating. The first time, it was completely out of coolant. Thinking there was a leak somewhere, I took it to the shop and he topped it up and left it running. No leak anywhere. He didn't do an amazing check through everything, but had it for a week and it was fine.

About 2000km later it overheated again. Again, coolant was bone dry. My bad for not checking the coolant after the first time, but there were no puddles of fluid in the laneway. There is no coolant in the oil, no steam when it runs, no smell of coolant anywhere and no smoke out the exhaust pipe. Took it to another shop. They did a pressure test on a clean bay floor and the thing isn't leaking anywhere, not even oil. He can't find any coolant stains on anything, water pump is fine, thermostat is fine. But, it is losing coolant. Every mechanic has said the likelihood of it being a head gasket is slim to none and any diagnostic is going to cost 500+ with the likelihood of them not finding anything.

Anyone experienced something like this with their Charger? Any suggestions on where I should start my research past the cursory Google searches (ie calling Dodge etc.)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Unless you're running plain water, what you're describing is nearly impossible. The coolant has to be going somewhere.

The most likely culprit is the coolant reservior cap, but even then, it should be spilling out all over the floor.

If it were me, I'd drop the pan and make sure it wasn't making it's way into the ATF via the cooling lines.

About the only other thing I can think of is a used oil analysis to look for coolant contamination.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree it's going somewhere, I just don't know where lol! I asked him about the reservoir cap and he said the same thing. I will ask about the transmission pan. Would it still leak visibly? Would there be any symptoms?

Sorry for all of the questions, it's a bit rough being a girl and going into a shop with no research done so I'd like to know as much as possible about what could be happening!

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
You can check the trans fluid (a couple 24" zipties from Lowe's work as a dipstick), but I don't think that's where your coolant is going. I don't think the nag1 trans has ever used a cooler on the rad, it's a separate unit in front of the rad as an assembly with the AC condenser.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I'm no mechanic....But I'd bet you're burning it in the cylinders...I believe shops have sniffer probes they can put in the exhaust pipes and detect it...I think I heard that a Midas Muffler shop had it...test shouldn't cost much at all..BTW,,,,they told me it will destroy the cat converters...but that was the old green stuff..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts