Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm happy with the results, my car is now running cooler at operating temp, the only indication I have is the temp needle stops a few ticks before the half way mark where as before it was almost right up at the halfway point. I'm guessing that's normal correct? Because only in the last year or so have I noticed that the temp needle has been so close to the halfway point.

Also with the PS fluid and catalyst I love how the steering pump/rack makes virtually no noise anymore... Only a little whimper at lock but nothing like before.... Also the steering feels heavier which I love! I hated he feather feeling before....

Great products Brian! :beerchug:

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Indeed good products. You could have used your predator to log the difference in temperature. It will show a drop of around 7~9 F.

I strongly suggest you do the differential fluid and trans fluid as well. Especially the trans fluid. Those 42RLE needs some serious love from QB.

·
Vendor
10,365 Posts
I'm happy with the results, my car is now running cooler at operating temp, the only indication I have is the temp needle stops a few ticks before the half way mark where as before it was almost right up at the halfway point. I'm guessing that's normal correct? Because only in the last year or so have I noticed that the temp needle has been so close to the halfway point.

Also with the PS fluid and catalyst I love how the steering pump/rack makes virtually no noise anymore... Only a little whimper at lock but nothing like before.... Also the steering feels heavier which I love! I hated he feather feeling before....

Great products Brian! :beerchug:

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Glad to hear you got the different materials changed! Everyone that tries the steering fluid and catalyst has the same experience. We change them every 40k miles and you don't ever have to replace the rack or the pump!

Thanks for keeping me informed. :beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
306 Posts
Xkm121 speaks the truth, the 4 speed transfer desperately needs some QB love...

Did wonders for my SXT and it only had 35k miles on it when I changed it.

·
Vendor
10,365 Posts
Indeed good products. You could have used your predator to log the difference in temperature. It will show a drop of around 7~9 F.

I strongly suggest you do the differential fluid and trans fluid as well. Especially the trans fluid. Those 42RLE needs some serious love from QB.
It is true. xkm121 changed his over when he noticed shuddering, hesitation between shifts and bump stops. We did a special blend based on his mileage and where he lives. It stopped all the symptoms because we augmented the operating temperature of the fluid....raising it....then we added more friction modifier to it as well.:beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Vendor
10,365 Posts
Xkm121 speaks the truth, the 4 speed transfer desperately needs some QB love...

Did wonders for my SXT and it only had 35k miles on it when I changed it.
Glad to hear it Gruvin84SS. These trans designs are very sensitive to the modifiers in the fluid. 40k and replace.

QB in the 40 to 50k range is appropriate.:beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Hey Brian. My last trans flush was back in October 2011. It is getting to 3 yrs old now. When do you think I will need another trans fluid and filter change? It has been great this whole time but recently some of the old symptoms(jerky shifting) is coming back.

·
Vendor
10,365 Posts
Hey Brian. My last trans flush was back in October 2011. It is getting to 3 yrs old now. When do you think I will need another trans fluid and filter change? It has been great this whole time but recently some of the old symptoms(jerky shifting) is coming back.
The one thing to remember about the 42RLE is that ......like it's predecessor.....the 41TE, it is very sensitive to the fluids. When you start having the hesitation between shifts, bump stops and shuddering, it is time again to replace the fluid and filter.

Still have the special this month $130.08 for the filter, gasket, and o-ring and 2 gallons of QB ATF+4++ IIa transmission fluid. :bigthumb:

Let me know your thoughts.:beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Just did some major mods and dont have cash to spare right now. Guess I will have to make do until next year.

How long are the fluids usually good for? The symptoms are not severe. They only appears when the car is driven for more than 5 hrs nonstop in very hot weather.

·
Vendor
10,365 Posts
Just did some major mods and dont have cash to spare right now. Guess I will have to make do until next year.

How long are the fluids usually good for? The symptoms are not severe. They only appears when the car is driven for more than 5 hrs nonstop in very hot weather.
Typically it is good for 40 to 50k miles. However, when you put more power through it or have more sustained high heat use, the mileage is reduced and you have to depend more on how it is functioning to know.

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can trans fluid be a DIY job?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
That definitely make sense. Since this old hard shifting problem only came back this summer after a long trip. 2days after the long trip hard shifting is gone. I will remember to take breaks next time driving long distance, not just for me, but for the poor trans as well. :D

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Can trans fluid be a DIY job?
If you have enough equipment to lift the front end of the car yourself to give you clearance, the nag1 can be done, you should have an extra jack to hold the trans up when u remove the transmission brace, drop pan and fluid, clean pan and magnet, pop out filter n replace, replace gasket, replace all, measure how much came out, put in same amount.
easy if u have a pit or access to a lift. Doable yourself... being a big guy, there was no way i could fit under the car and do it comfortably and catch the fluids.
40 bux for my shop to do it :)

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you have enough equipment to lift the front end of the car yourself to give you clearance, the nag1 can be done, you should have an extra jack to hold the trans up when u remove the transmission brace, drop pan and fluid, clean pan and magnet, pop out filter n replace, replace gasket, replace all, measure how much came out, put in same amount.
easy if u have a pit or access to a lift. Doable yourself... being a big guy, there was no way i could fit under the car and do it comfortably and catch the fluids.
40 bux for my shop to do it :)
Sounds like a job for the stealership.... :scratchhead:

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
I will try to find u the link, looks easy, only hard part is clearance issues

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm so confused on the flush vs draining the pan and the miles on the car? Brian can you fill me in on that I'm totally confused by the two processes... I was under the impression that a proper flushing of all the fluid is acceptable no matter how many miles a trans has on it?

·
Vendor
10,365 Posts
I'm so confused on the flush vs draining the pan and the miles on the car? Brian can you fill me in on that I'm totally confused by the two processes... I was under the impression that a proper flushing of all the fluid is acceptable no matter how many miles a trans has on it?
Ok, dealership people and transmission shops like to do transmission flushes because they can get all the fluid out of the trans including the torque converter and it is a revenue stream for them to recommend it often!

However, it has been my experience with many thousands of vehicles that once you get in the 40 to 50k mile range, doing a transmission flush is risky. Mainly because there are now shavings in the torque converter that can be pushed into the valve body and get stuck in seals and in fluid circuits. Many a trans has been goofed up this way. Once this is done, the only way to get rid of the problem is to rebuild the trans. I have seen where a shop rebuilt a trans 3 times before they could get ALL the contaminants out of it.

With our cars getting older and having well over 50k, we highly recommend the pan drain and fill. This way we can get the oil fluid out of the valve body and pan area while leaving some of the shavings in the torque converter safely. We know that there will be some depletion of the additives in the torque converter fluid so we concentrate the additive packages in the two gallons we provide so that we can help make what is in the converter synonymous. It is based on the solution to pollution is dilution. Once the new fluid is in there, the converter will safely pump the balance of the shavings into the pan where the ferrous metals are caught by the pan magnet and the new filter gets the rest of the materials where they are safely caught and sequestered.

Yuro linked to the W5A580 NAG1 that I have in my 06 SRT8. These are the pictures of the 5 speed where we did a quick pictorial to be illustrative.

In your case, you have the 42RLE 4 speed which would take the same type of fluid (QB ATF+4++ IIa) and a QuantumBlue Ultra HP filter and gasket kit. (You should still use the form a gasket on the filter to adhere it to the pan and the trans. A gasket just makes a little more insurance against leaks.

So basically with what you have, I would suggest you get the $130.08 special, do a pan drain and fill and have a nice transmission day! LOL.:bigthumb:

Hope this clarifies.;)

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My car is at 34200 miles, would you still suggest just a pan drain and fill? Obviously that'd be easier, but like you said it'd be diluted, so how many times would I have to do this pan drain and fill until I have entirely new fluid in the trans+TC?

·
Vendor
10,365 Posts
My car is at 34200 miles, would you still suggest just a pan drain and fill? Obviously that'd be easier, but like you said it'd be diluted, so how many times would I have to do this pan drain and fill until I have entirely new fluid in the trans+TC?
I would still do the pan drain and fill on your trans. As you have a 42RLE, it contains over 8 quarts of ATF.

We have done thousands of NAG1 and 42RLE transmissions this way on the LX and LC cars. 10s of thousands in other makes. Doing it this way with the extra modifiers in the fluid you introduce will bring back the balance and give you a trans that runs and sounds like new. I have seen just too many problems with transmission flushes in the past and present.

We don't have to over think this too much.:beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

1 - 20 of 20 Posts