Charger Forums banner

Converting an angle grinder into a polisher

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  FlyersHockey 
#1 ·
Is there a conversion spindle that lets a regular angle grinder turn a 7" polishing pad, basically converting it into a polisher? If so, what is the part called and where can I find it?

Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
Depends on the grinder as to the exact specifications for replacement, but it can be done. The bigger thing with doing this is you have to be EXTREMELY careful using one to polish your paint as you can literally burn through your paint in seconds with one.

Anyway I've done what your asking with a Porter Cable 7424XP, which isn't exactly an angle grinder, but was more of a sander/polisher without velcro until I converted it. I bought a 5 inch backing plate that has a velcro attachment for it to use better polishing pads. I still have it, but mainly use an actual DA polisher now, and use the Porter for a backup and learning tool for my teenagers.

This is what you probably need, but again depends if your grinder will let you use the nut to attach the backing plate or not. The yellow and black thing in the picture with the nut is the backing plate, which can probably be found separately without all the pads. Goodluck!

Sent from my SM-F916U using Tapatalk

Reactions: POWERMAN
#3 ·
Is there a conversion spindle that lets a regular angle grinder turn a 7" polishing pad, basically converting it into a polisher? If so, what is the part called and where can I find it?

Thanks.
Yes. They're called a few different names; arbor adapters, shank extenders, extended adapters, etc. One example is the Scottchen ‎PG-054. You'll need to double check the thread size of your angle grinder, and make sure the arbor size is a fit for your polishing pad.

With that said, it's still not a very good plan. An angle grinder does not have an orbital action, and most of them are single speed, with that speed being much too high for paint correction.

#4 ·
Keep this in mind... you are VERY likely to burn through your point doing this. You are effectively making a rotary polisher. It takes a lot of experience not to damage paint using a rotary. You would be much better served to invest about $120 in a good dual action polisher made for paint correction.

#5 ·
BINGO!!! BINGO!!! BINGO!!! BINGO!!! BINGO!!! BINGO!!! BINGO!!! BINGO!!! BINGO!!! BINGO!!!

What you are thinking about doing is the absolute WORST idea that one could come up with if you like having paint on your car. 😬

A PC-7424XP is WAY cheaper than a paint job. If you are trying to end up inside a paint booth, you are definitely on the right track. :oops:

#7 ·
Even if you have a light touch it will leave swirl marks.

#8 · (Edited)
You mean holograms. A unexperienced person with a rotary will 99% of the time burn the crap out of their paint. A unexperienced person with a rotary who has USED a polisher before will usually leave their car full of holograms. Like this:

This is what BURNED and/or halogrammed paint looks like when a hack with a rotary polisher gets ahold of your car. This was done by a dealership that allowed some high schooler in the detail area to work on a customer's car. They called me but I wouldn't touch it because the clear coat was so thin in places that it was going to fail and start peeling in a year or so after sitting in the sun long enough. They ended up having to repaint the car, which was probably cheaper for them compared to what I was going to charge. 😬

A ORBITAL polisher is DEFINITELY the way you want to go. The PC is cheap, and the thing will last you forever. The best part is that you can't screw your paint up with it. If you use it wrong, the only thing you'll end up doing is wasting your time.

#11 ·
Seriously never heard of anyone adapting an angle grinder with an oversize pad to polish a car before.

I can just imagine molten auto paint being flung around like lava.
😅😅😅😅

Hey, we all had to start somewhere! Luckily, he asked FIRST so he won't have to experience that horrible situation. But yes, I can visually see that happening! 😅

#10 ·
Now once you purchase the correct polisher for a novice, you have got to learn how to use the thing or you'll end up wasting time and product. This video explain EXACTLY how to get the best results out of that polisher or any other ORBITAL polisher. The way you use this polisher is KEY to it doing anything for you. It is called, having a SOLID technique. Let me also say this. If you use the technique that I use in this video with a ROTARY polisher, you will MELT the paint off your car. :cry:

#12 ·
I started with the Porter Cable years ago and then switched to a FLEX 3401. As mentioned above, it's nearly impossible to damage your paint with the PC. Once I knew the ropes a bit better, I switched to the Flex unit since it worked a bit faster for me and was still fairly forgiving if you got a LITTLE careless with it.

That said, the PC is a LOT cheaper. I still have mine in a box around here somewhere.

Best,

Reactions: Junkman2008
#14 ·
You will find some of the worst detailers at dealerships. They hardly pay those kids and they usually have NO experience detailing a car. If you ever see a shop pick up a brush with a long broom handle and approach your car, you should scream like hell for them to back away and take your car someplace else. You may as well be washing your car with a dirt clod full of rocks.

#15 ·
When I used to take my ex-wifes car in for warranty work, it always came with a "complimentary wash" and I would always say can you please skip the wash. I saw how they did it and was like no way.

One of the worst places I saw was a Mercedes dealership. Couldn't believe people who own $90k cars would have them looking like that. Also couldn't believe a dealer that sells $90k+ cars would detail them like that.

I had my 2010 R/T repaired at a MB dealer a family member worked at, and while they did a good job on the repair, the paint was awful. Had to send it back twice. If my R/T with 96k miles would have been an AMG car I'd have lost my mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.