Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would this be plug and play or is it more involved? I know I will need the the auto control module like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-MOPAR-...dge|Model:Charger&hash=item43c9b175cd&vxp=mtr

But do I need anything else?

Also if any starscanning is required that won't be a problem either considering I have many family members who work for Chrysler and have the ability to reflash the car to make it recognize new components.

Thanks for the help in advance! :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Would this be plug and play or is it more involved? I know I will need the the auto control module like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-MOPAR-...dge|Model:Charger&hash=item43c9b175cd&vxp=mtr

But do I need anything else?

Also if any starscanning is required that won't be a problem either considering I have many family members who work for Chrysler and have the ability to reflash the car to make it recognize new components.

Thanks for the help in advance! :beerchug:
Without having the sun sensor on the dash top, it won't work.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh wait I think I might be confusing that half hemisphere thing on the dashboard as the auto headlights sensor.....

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Nope it will not be PnP. You will need all the ambient temperature sensors installed, wired in and programmed in TIPM for the auto climate control to work.

A long time ago a guy named Tony transformed his base Challenger to a SRT style interior. It took him a hell lot of work to finish. It involves a lot of CANBus programming.

It is better to save up for your next car with all the nice tech gadgets. At least that's what I'm doing. Ain't worth the trouble to mod an old car any more.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope it will not be PnP. You will need all the ambient temperature sensors installed, wired in and programmed in TIPM for the auto climate control to work.

A long time ago a guy named Tony transformed his base Challenger to a SRT style interior. It took him a hell lot of work to finish. It involves a lot of CANBus programming.

It is better to save up for your next car with all the nice tech gadgets. At least that's what I'm doing. Ain't worth the trouble to mod an old car any more.

Thanks for the info, that's a bummer though :(

Well I still plan on doing the steering wheel controls so that won't be too difficult.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Oh wait I think I might be confusing that half hemisphere thing on the dashboard as the auto headlights sensor.....

Actually, the sunlight sensor on the top of the dash is for both the auto headlights and auto climate control. It works in conjunction with the infra-red sensor in the auto climate control (ambient temperature sensor). If you have it, then both systems can be enabled.

It's how folks with auto climate but not auto headlights were able to do a simple mod to the headlight switch to get the auto headlights to work.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I just want channel and volume control, I know I won't be able to use the EVIC settings.

All the functions on the steering wheel controls require

1. At least a 160mph RT cluster
2. TIPM programming

Sad but this is the truth. If you dont get it programmed, nothing would work, and you will not be able to use the horn since the wiring for horn is different with the new harness.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
All the functions on the steering wheel controls require

1. At least a 160mph RT cluster
2. TIPM programming

Sad but this is the truth. If you dont get it programmed, nothing would work, and you will not be able to use the horn since the wiring for horn is different with the new harness.
Not true on an '08 Charger...

"On the 2005-07 LX cars, the steering wheel switches will not function until you add the EVIC cluster. The switches will light up (after programming), but not control the radio. The cluster is needed to complete the circuit.

On the 2008-10 LX/LC cars, the steering wheel switches will work and control the radio with or without the EVIC cluster."

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php/279059-Adding-EVIC-and-steering-wheel-switches

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Not true on an '08 Charger...

"On the 2005-07 LX cars, the steering wheel switches will not function until you add the EVIC cluster. The switches will light up (after programming), but not control the radio. The cluster is needed to complete the circuit.

On the 2008-10 LX/LC cars, the steering wheel switches will work and control the radio with or without the EVIC cluster."

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php/279059-Adding-EVIC-and-steering-wheel-switches
Not true.

Been there, done that. It will NOT control radio and will lose horn.

Tony tested on a 2009 Challenger, not a 2008 Charger. He has the correct Steering Wheel Column while 08 Charger with no EVIC cluster does not have the correct SWC.

I talked with him a lot over Challengertalk after mine doesn't control the radio and we ends up concluding that for 08 Charger it needs the programming to do so.

I did this mod step by step with Tony's help.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Original thread over Challengertalk, check through the posts you will find lots of people unable to get their controls work after just installing the new harness and the switches.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have access to the car being reflashed so I know it won't be a problem. Nothing is plug and play these days with these cars, even foglights, I'm aware that you have to change notify the vehicle of the new content.

So it will work for our cars.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lucky for me I don't have to pay a dealership to do it.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
From one of the posts in that thread:

The simple answer is yes but it is a little more involved than that now. Dodge changed the Dealer Connect System sometime, as far as I can figure, in 2013. The new system limits the Sales Codes that can be added to your system including the code for the steering wheel switches. It has a drop down list that does not include the RDZ code necessary to make the switches work. So, even if you add the switches and the dealer has the proper setup to reprogram, they cannot add the needed code. The other side effect is that until the code is added your horn will no longer work. This is where I'm currently stuck (State also requires inspection sticker which I cannot get w/o horn). I contacted Dodge directly several times over this and I'm still getting the run around. The guy that can help me insists that I need to change out the entire main harness of the vehicle for it to work. Which we all know is a load of crap. This leaves you with a few options.

1. Have extensive knowledge of automotive electronics and come up with a brilliant work around like SSDodge did. Unfortunately from what I understand he no longer posts or responds to posts here.
2. Know someone like the person I described above.
3. Convince Dodge (Dodge not the dealership) to add the code.
4. Don't add the switches.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I have access to the car being reflashed so I know it won't be a problem. Nothing is plug and play these days with these cars, even foglights, I'm aware that you have to change notify the vehicle of the new content.

So it will work for our cars.

Not everyone can do the programming. Dealership cannot do it. As far as I know, only certified Chrysler engineers who have access to Chrysler Dealer Connect or After Hour Mopar Performance can do the reprogramming.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not everyone can do the programming. Dealership cannot do it. As far as I know, only certified Chrysler engineers who have access to Chrysler Dealer Connect or After Hour Mopar Performance can do the reprogramming.

There are two Chrysler engineers in my family.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got my foglights activated from my dad, he has the OBD II harness and the program on his laptop.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I got my foglights activated from my dad, he has the OBD II harness and the program on his laptop.

Well that is a nice thing! I remember your sister works for Chrysler R&D right?

Hmm, this gets me thinking. I have abandoned my project of installing a 180mph cluster for 3 yrs since Tony quit modding. If you can figure out a way to do this, I would gladly pay you for programming my car. I would love to have finally finish up with a 180 evic cluster. :bowdown:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts