Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone run across a conversion? I have an 06 RT and I'm really thinking it would be great to put the new, i.e. 2011, rear led light bar on it. Kind of a tribute to the old school muscle. I know it would require a new trunk lid. Can't find anything like this. Thoughts?

·
Registered
963 Posts
I'm not 100% that the shape of the rear quarter panels comes back at the right angles to match up to the new style rear lights.

That alone is going to be more $$$ than it's worth.

Next, as mentioned, the trunk lid will have to be changed/modified.

Is it possible to do? The proper application of cash, body work, time, and stratigizing allows most anything to be possible. It's only a question of how much of each are you alloting for this project? :beerchug:

·
Registered
553 Posts
It's possible, but will need more then just a deck lid...

I found this pic posted on another forum.

Looks to me they kept the stock Tail lights and modified them. They didn't do a good job. This was for a Movie, so they take a lot of short cuts on projects like this.

·
Registered
218 Posts

Looks to me they kept the stock Tail lights and modified them. They didn't do a good job. This was for a Movie, so they take a lot of short cuts on projects like this.

Wow that does look odd.... But as others have mentioned with the right amount of cash anything is possible...

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts

Also, that trunk won't open because the side plastic fillers overlap it. It will take a bunch of cash to adapt the 2011 tails onto an earlier model.

It would be easier (but still not cheap) to do a full custom like this...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Those Charger were modified for the Fast Five movie. Not much info about how they were done. I think it can be done if the right person wants to invest the time money to get it done, and also feel it could be made into a "kit" if done properly. All it takes is someone with the resources to get it done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If the conversion kit consisted of only having to by a new trunk lid and taillights, it would be a hot item! And it's very possible to be done. Think about it. Take a trunk lid from the 05-10 models with no lights. Add an led bar from one side to the other. The trunk is complete! Then, customize the taillights to match up with the trunk lid. The lights would possibly be solid plastic at the top and led lights in the middle, to line up properly with the trunk lid lights. Done deal! Someone with the money to do so will make a profit!

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
I don't know what the current pricing is but when I got mine is was around $950.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts