Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some research and am considering buying an R/T. Some questions (I have no doubt that there may be other threads which may answer these questions and if so, please feel free to direct me to those locations):

1. Any advantage to getting an 08 over an 07? If there is a thread detailing out the 08 specs over the 07, that link would be helpful.
- can 08's be custom ordered from dealers now?
- since Chrysler started the lifetime powertrain warranty, I figured buying new would be the way to go. Anyone have any more detail or input on the lifetime powertain warranty? Is it true that SRT8's (which is probably overkill for me personally) are not covered?

2. Has anyone heard anything about the Pontiac G8? I know it is the Australian Commodore, but has anyone heard any indication about how an R/T will compare to the G8 GT from a performance standpoint. Probably too early to tell, but just curious if anyone has heard/seen any comparisons

3. From a reliability standpoint, for those of you with R/T's what have been the most common complaints?

4. Any word on when the Charger will go through a full version upgrade? I heard maybe 2010, but has anyone spotted any spy sites which show what the next version will look like?

Thanks,

Largo_pq

·
Registered
45 Posts
hey bro glad u are considering buying an RT ... for now i have 20k miles on mine (06) and i am REALLY happy with it ...

further i can only cry about the squeeling of the brakes sometimes when they are overheated =/

besides that... go for it .. its a great car and a girl pickup magnet :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
IMO, smartest thing you can do is get a low mileage 06 RT, RT with R&T or Daytona with all the options you want. IIRC, then for $750 you can buy the lifetime warranty from the dealer. Problem-wise, it seems that the lifters like to be loud when the engine is cold. Also, there is a sensor on the transmission that likes to leak...

I have only had mine for 2 weeks so I don't have too much experience, but one thing I can say is that the front is very low and easy to scratch... :dead:

The Diablo Predator is allegedly coming out soon, with those performance gains the car should get up and go very nicely.

As far as performance-wise, its not the fastest car off the line, but at higher speeds it moves along.

·
Registered
708 Posts
They will be wheelin and dealin on 07's now. The 07 will come with lifetime powertrain warranty and you can probably get the Road & Track package for a bit more (I got mine for the standard R/T MSRP). I doubt there will be any discount on the 08's as they will want to rid their lots of the 07's to make room. The only thing I wish my 07 had is the key fob that the 08 has, but that's not a big deal at all. I know the interior is supposed to be better in the 08 - I'm not totally convinced. I do know that the antenna on the 08 is lame, but I'm sure that's an easy fix.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
The Dodge website is the best place to go for pricing, specs, available options, etc. Also there are several sites that have reviews from current owners. Edmunds,com, yahooautos.com, AOLautos.com, roadandtrack,com to name a few. I always like to see what current owners are saying before making a decision. BTW I love my R/T!

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
I've been doing some research and am considering buying an R/T. Some questions (I have no doubt that there may be other threads which may answer these questions and if so, please feel free to direct me to those locations):

1. Any advantage to getting an 08 over an 07? If there is a thread detailing out the 08 specs over the 07, that link would be helpful.
- can 08's be custom ordered from dealers now?
- since Chrysler started the lifetime powertrain warranty, I figured buying new would be the way to go. Anyone have any more detail or input on the lifetime powertain warranty? Is it true that SRT8's (which is probably overkill for me personally) are not covered?
Warranty only applies to the original owner, you can not add this to a used car. You should be able to find an 07 at a better discount then on a new 08. Check the new options on a 08 to me nothing stands out that would make me want an 08 over a 07, unless you want HID lights. SRT's do not get lifetime warranty

2. Has anyone heard anything about the Pontiac G8? I know it is the Australian Commodore, but has anyone heard any indication about how an R/T will compare to the G8 GT from a performance standpoint. Probably too early to tell, but just curious if anyone has heard/seen any comparisons

3. From a reliability standpoint, for those of you with R/T's what have been the most common complaints? See the following link http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6153

4. Any word on when the Charger will go through a full version upgrade? I heard maybe 2010, but has anyone spotted any spy sites which show what the next version will look like?

Nothing yet

Thanks,

Largo_pq

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
As far as reliability goes, the only issue I've had is the panel with the window buttons collapsed in but the dealer fixed that for me for free.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the great info. Is anyone out there from So Cal and can recommend a decent dealer. I'm in San Diego and can go up to LA/Orange County if needed. Any info on good dealers would be helpful.

Thanks to all!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
get the G8 gt, that car will beat the charger r/t in every way

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
get the G8 gt, that car will beat the charger r/t in every way
IMO the G8 is ugly as sin. It look like an everyday grandpa car that can haul ass. The charger definetly takes the cake in the looks department, and with some mods the r/t can run 12's.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
The '08s have the new computer bus system or somthing that allows the use of the new stereos with the MyGig system. They may have the heated/cooled cupholders that the newer Mopars have. The '08s also have a redone interior which is supposed to be fancier than the '06 and '07 models.

And the GTO troll above has at least a small point - most reports indicate the G8 will be a bit faster, as in a couple tenths quicker in the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
IMO the G8 is ugly as sin. It look like an everyday grandpa car that can haul ass. The charger definetly takes the cake in the looks department, and with some mods the r/t can run 12's.
x2
:grin: :grin:

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
He's telling him to grap it just cuz hes a pontiac owner aswell.
:lol:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
your opinion is well taken and i shall defend it, but that doesnt mean what you think is right. looks is subjective and imao the G8 Gt is way better looking than the charger R/T and performance wise i assure you GM will be ahead again.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
I was at the track the other night and saw some serious car nuts with the bluepirnts of a car not yet built in the right lane. Man, they SMOKED the R/T in the left lane. All ya saw when the tree lit up was sheets of paper flying everywhere. Course, they had removed the seats from the plans, so it made it lighter...... :dead:

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
your opinion is well taken and i shall defend it, but that doesnt what you think is right. looks is subjective and imao the G8 Gt is way better looking than the charger R/T and performance wise i assure you GM will be ahead again.
Ever wonder why the goat owner spends so much time here.... The goat is difinetly a fast car but it looks like a Camry and I think their owners can never quite get over it. so they troll other sites trying to make themselves feel better. I live at the end of a 5 mile canyon and I raced a really cool GTO owner. we were dead even all the way through the canyon... draw. we stopped at the Chevron and shot the s**t and he really liked my new SRT and said he was waiting for new G8. we plan to run again when he gets it. then we'll see how it fairs.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Ever wonder why the goat owner spends so much time here.... The goat is difinetly a fast car but it looks like a Camry and I think their owners can never quite get over it. so they troll other sites trying to make themselves feel better.

As a goat owner i can tell you that i think i have a sweet ride, as you would think you have a sweet ride. Whats the point? Im sure there are people that says chargers are so ugly 4 doors, heavy bla, bla, bla,bla.....But you as a charger owner you think yeah ok. i love my ride and thats what matters.

if being in other sites with the purpose to learn from other cars make me a troll so be it. If you must know then i troll many others sites such as mustang sites, camaros, cobalts, and none of those guys are winning about trollers like you are. In my defense i rather be a troller rather than an ignorant that does not know **** about the car he is about to race.:D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.