Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I might be getting a 2019 Dodge Charger RT tomorrow through a dealership, I found out it was originally a rental. Not high mileage but the inside isn’t spotless, lots of scratches by the USB ports, General buttons ect... my obvious fear is that people who rent the car dog the hell out of it Mobdro for the seven days that they rented it and it’s a continuous cycle... my question is do you guys think it would be a good idea to get the car? VidMate
word counter Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I would be leery of any car that was once a fleet rental. That being said, we bought my wife a 1998 Mustang convertible in 1999 through a Ford dealership. Car was like new with under 20K miles and it had been a rental. Came with remainder of original factory warranty. She still has the car today and it runs fine.

·
Registered
347 Posts
One BIG thing about fleet cars, especially police/taxis, etc, are the amount of hours of run time vs. the mileage. I've seen fleet cars, that have hour meters on them, to equate to 4-6 times the actual mileage when you use the formula.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
NJ:
For me, it would depend on the mileage, amount of warranty remaining, and my assessment of it's general condition. I would expect them to make some level of adjustment in the price if there is excess interior wear and tear for such a young car. There are deals to be had out there, you just have to look for them. Autotrader.com, cars.com, cargurus.com, etc, are good places to find a car . I would not pay top dollar for a former rental.

Don

·
Super Moderator
11,524 Posts
I wouldn't automatically let that deter me from buying. Most people that rent cars just use them to get from A to B. I've never abused a rental ever.

If it's a good deal, go for it. If the car has too much 'wear and tear' for your liking, keep looking. It's not like an RT is rare.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Not a fan of buying former rental cars. If people drove and cared for them like their own, maybe I would think differently.

Rental cars get a wash and vaccum between rentals and that's about it. I recall more than 3 times I had rental cars with expired plates and liability cards. Oil change stickers overdriven. Rental companies make money from the add-ons and treat the cars as disposable assets. Rental companies buy them cheap through fleet sales and car dealers actually buy them used at auction houses to resell at profit using "no haggle" pricing.

And renters are not going to report hitting a curb or driving over road hazards.

I'm just curious why go through a dealer to buy an auction house rental when the larger rental companies sell their used rental cars themselves. You can arrange a test drive, see the maintenance records, etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you're serious about buying it. be sure to check to see if recalls (if any) have been performed.

·
Registered
772 Posts
It would have to be one hell of a bargain for me to buy a ex-rental R/T.

Don't get me wrong, I've owned ex-rental cars before. I wouldn't have any particular concern (other than the obvious) buying a former rental Camry or Impala.

But anyone renting a Charger R/T typically pays a very stiff premium for it, and I would imagine many of them would flog it like a mule.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Would buy only due to the budget limitation.
Actually one of the things that annoys me in the rental cars - this is exactly what you've described regarding interior scratches. Since not all the rentals are like this, maybe you can another rental car or private owned Charger for more or less same money?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I would think doing a very thorough check of the vehicle would give you a better idea of the condition it's in. Check under the front bumper for scrape marks, check the rear wheel wells for rubber pieces from burnouts, look under the car seats and see what/if any crap is under there, check the suspension and steering, engine hours, and whatever else. Also, a highly doubt a Charger R/T was a heavily used rental. It costs a premium to rent. Considering economy cars are $50/day as is, I doubt someone will pay the price for that car very often. Someone who has money isn't renting a Charger R/T. If someone took it out for a day or two and drove it hard, it's not gonna hurt the car. Just use your judgement.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
My first Charger (2013 SE) was a long term rental bought when it was a year old with 30K, I only had one minor issue in the three years/ 50,000 miles I drove it until it got crunched/totaled.

My wife's 2016 Rallye was a rental, bought with 2 yrs/24K on it, no problems with it so far, runs nice but rides hard (not a fan of the Sport Suspension).

My 2016 SXT Plus was a lease with 1 year/12K on it, no problems for the three years I've had it. It is way cheaper to buy a low mileage year old car than a brand new one: the sticker price was $37K. but I paid $21K total (taxes/tags/etc)

Like Flex says, MOST people do not abuse their rental cars, they just use them to go point to point. Enterprise is a good place to find a decent rental for decent $$

·
Registered
990 Posts
My thought would be---Do you know about how long you want to own it? If short term...don't forget, vehicle history will still show it was a rental car...and may effect next buyers offer price !

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
^ Not sure rental car status is factored in appraisal guides but based on the post above, a 1 year old rental car that stickered $37k new was sold to them for $21 including tax and title. Thats not normal depreciation and I dont think the car was sold cheaply out of a good heart. That's what it is worth as a former fleet car. At 3 years of age will it magically lose its fleet history and go up in value or go down in value to $12k even if it has just another 12,000 miles added on it which sort of hits to the point of your question.

However, the other aspect of this is why buy used when some members posts in other threads a new car can be bought for 25% or more off MSRP at the end of the year. That significantly closes the gap between a steeply depreciated used fleet vehicle and a brand new vehicle with zero miles, full warranty, and no questions about how it was driven or whether the oil was changed.

No simple answer in my opinion. If a good bargain pops up and there is confidence the car is in great shape then I guess it's a good decision.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts