Charger Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switched out my headlights because condensation kept getting in the housing. Now im having the same issue with my brand new ones. I thought it was because the old ones were old and a seal broke but now im thinking that maybe it has to do with my new hood. I got a SRT style hood made of fiber glass. So im thinking maybe rain water is somehow getting into them. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I shared your problem on another car back in the early 2000 timeframe. I had to replace it because it was cracked. I haven't looked at my headlight housings on the Charger, but almost all headlight housings on modern cars have vents. Under normal conditions the headlights will burn out mild condensation in 20 or 30 minutes. But, if the moisture, or water, is bad enough it will not evaporate.

Look for cracks along the seams of the headlight housing. I see that you replaced them once, but even new parts, especially aftermarket parts can be problematic. So, take headlight housing out and if you see cracks you can try a quality sealant followed by using a hair dryer on low setting to dry out the moisture through the removed bulb housings.

I've even heard of people sealing the vents closed with sealant and then blowing out the excess moisture as I described.

And be sure the seals on the bulbs are present and in good condition.

You might be correct about the hood. But I don't see how water migrates through the louvers onto the headlights to saturate them. Is that what is happening?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts