Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so. I installed an AEM brute force intake on my daytona, and I noticed a little power gain but It didn't get the good power gains the help in gas milage and the nice rumble that they were claiming. does anybody have any suggestions on better intakes?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
It will be the same story from all of them pretty much. Unless you are doing some track usage, the variances will be miniscule, and are all mainly preference. Now before i get jumped, the only one to have shown promise on the tracks are LMI true intakes.
As i always state, you will get better money's worth buying a Spectre high flow drop in filter, and smoothing the intake tube.
Tuning the car to accept higher gas octanes along with the CAI or Drop in will help more.
Good Luck with your search for CAI, just stick to the cheapest one that makes the best VROOOM sound for you!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Get a DiabloSport tuner, specifically the Predator you can find used for under $200 in the classifieds. You'll definitely feel the difference then. Otherwise you're only gaining a max of like 5hp at the crank which results to like 1-2hp at the wheels. Not really worth it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I used a K&N drop in filter in December then was gifted an Airaid CAI, installed the CAI Dec 31 and filled up the car. I haven't seen any MPG or performance boosts from either one. The Airaid CAI does sound good. I purchased a Diablo Sport In-Tune and tuned the car with the CAI 91 Octane tune. It feels like there is a little more power and the sound at WOT sounds like it changed a little as well. I haven't ran through a tank yet so I don't know any MPG figures yet.

If you are interested in my fuel economy check out my Fuelly account at http://www.fuelly.com/driver/blue88comanche/charger I try to keep detailed notes that include any additives and changes to the car that might affect fuel economy.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
You will see maximized fuel economy by cruising more often with these air filters. Especially the cotton ones like Spectre and K&N. Get to speed and then release, the engine will keep you cruising easy, on highway i have seen approx 36 cruising in the 5.7, any amount of throttle and it went down to 32 though, and if you keep mds running at a decent speed, about 60ish nonstop, you should see about 29-30ish mpgs. The non oil filter is more restrictive in my opinion, and gives me way less fuel econ. It is all based on how you drive that you will see either a small performance end, smoother performance, or on the conservative driving you will see slight mpg gains.

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
You will see maximized fuel economy by cruising more often with these air filters. Especially the cotton ones like Spectre and K&N. Get to speed and then release, the engine will keep you cruising easy, on highway i have seen approx 36 cruising in the 5.7, any amount of throttle and it went down to 32 though, and if you keep mds running at a decent speed, about 60ish nonstop, you should see about 29-30ish mpgs. The non oil filter is more restrictive in my opinion, and gives me way less fuel econ. It is all based on how you drive that you will see either a small performance end, smoother performance, or on the conservative driving you will see slight mpg gains.
I've never heard of dry filters being more restrictive. Where did you hear that? Everything I've seen said oiled and dry filters are essentially the same, the only difference is maintaining them.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
From me myself and i. I went from a Spectre drop in, to a K&N cai, to a mopar cai, and it felt like it dragged compared to the k&n, i went crazy after 3 days of driving it with the mopar cone, stopped at autozone on my way home from work rage quitted the mopar cone and slipped on a Spectre cone filter. Back to cruising and mpgs going back up. Made a thread on my experiences on it somewhere in the performance section.
To clarify, that is the tiny mopar cone filter from the 05-10 mopar cai setup, the new ones come with some huge blue square filter that seems to be good.

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
From me myself and i. I went from a Spectre drop in, to a K&N cai, to a mopar cai, and it felt like it dragged compared to the k&n, i went crazy after 3 days of driving it with the mopar cone, stopped at autozone on my way home from work rage quitted the mopar cone and slipped on a Spectre cone filter. Back to cruising and mpgs going back up. Made a thread on my experiences on it somewhere in the performance section.
To clarify, that is the tiny mopar cone filter from the 05-10 mopar cai setup, the new ones come with some huge blue square filter that seems to be good.
Found the thread! Interesting take, but it's all based on feeling, even mpgs will fluctuate from time to time so that's not the best way to compare. Still decent input, always good to have different opinions. I love my Mopar intake, I have noticed zero gains or losses when I installed it. It wasn't until I had the car tuned that I noticed any difference in performance and mpg.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Yea, i think i stated in the thread that i aint doing a dyno for it or none of that bs, but it is my time tried result. Right now i am currently running the mopar cone as the winter was making me slip more from colder air producing better power through the spectre. I replaced it(to the mopar cone) to reduce the amount of air i thought i was drawing and am now back to horrible gas mileage but slower starts thus increasing my winter driving traction. This can all be said is bla bla crap, but it is working for me somehow, now the snow is melting, once it is gone herein a week or so, i hope to slip on the Spectre cone once again!
I will say that i lost half a second, putting the mopar filter instead of the spectre, on my 0-60mph time.

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
Yea, i think i stated in the thread that i aint doing a dyno for it or none of that bs, but it is my time tried result. Right now i am currently running the mopar cone as the winter was making me slip more from colder air producing better power through the spectre. I replaced it(to the mopar cone) to reduce the amount of air i thought i was drawing and am now back to horrible gas mileage but slower starts thus increasing my winter driving traction. This can all be said is bla bla crap, but it is working for me somehow, now the snow is melting, once it is gone herein a week or so, i hope to slip on the Spectre cone once again!
I will say that i lost half a second, putting the mopar filter instead of the spectre, on my 0-60mph time.

I was going to say winter fuel will also reduce your gas mileage. But! To each his own :beerchug:

·
Registered
298 Posts
MoparNow magazine had a write up in their Spring 2014 issue for CAIs. Here are some of the results they got with their tests.

MoparNow CAI results

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
You are right about the winter fuel, it did reduce my mpgs, but after the switch, it is now a drastic drop. I am getting 9mpgs tops according to evic, 13mpgs to and from work. Spectre was still giving me 16-18 on a regular basis. With winter fuels of course.
Good time was also with winter fuels and wet ground. Bad time was with winter fuels and dry ground, and warmed tires.

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
You are right about the winter fuel, it did reduce my mpgs, but after the switch, it is now a drastic drop. I am getting 9mpgs tops according to evic, 13mpgs to and from work. Spectre was still giving me 16-18 on a regular basis. With winter fuels of course.
Dayum! I average about 24mpgs myself, though this winter it's more like 19-20mpg.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts