Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its for my truck , but you all have the same engine so Ill ask you all to
so driving today found the truck, vibrating and hesitating ever so slightly,at idle, codes are
p0301
p2308
p2320

first one is cylinder 1 misfire
second is insufficiant ionization #3 coil
and the third I couldnt find
cleared the codes but still running funny in the driveway

any suggestions, Im going to go check the connections but I don tknow which is cylinder 1 and coil3??
thanks guys

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
These are as you are in front, looking at the motor:

Right side is as follows from front to back: 1-3-5-7
Left side is as follows from front to back: 2-4-6-8

Not sure on the code Eli. Good Luck.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i found out 2320 is #7 coil, I cleared them all again this morning, only getting misfire in #1 used some gas treatment and Im going to check the plug and look for damage or fouling marks thanks

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well this is not good, both plugs are bent!!no piston mark or debris mark which is good, replaced the plugs runs fine so far but what owuld do this, Im going on the hunch a bad tank of gas, I in denial about advanced timing curve detonating on tdc, so check out the pic

Attachments

·
Registered
746 Posts
PM Eric Hemi31, he seems the most knowledgeable on this stuff. Perhaps do a compression test on the cylinders if your thinking pooped piston. Good Luck.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I changed the plugs and it is running fine, I will try to use a scope on the cylinder and look for debris, getting alot of different theories on this, dam it sucks, but its drivable now, hopefully I dont find anything I would hate to pull the engine for one piston :(

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Hey Eli,

I don't want to b.e the bearer of bad news but check this out. Nhdave had the same thing happen. Compression showed fine. What probably happened is you have a busted ringland. The rings are actually still seated so more then likely there will be no noticeable compresssion drop. Erik, hemi31 is busy this weekend and will be in Ohio. He might see this and respond. Hope I am wrong.

Gary

·
Registered
746 Posts
True, I guess the rings would still seal. At least until any pieces of the piston gets caught. Id look in there with a scope, and maybe pull the head anyways. Not that hard to do, plus better to be sure and only have to replace a piston. Then have more damage happen. Hopefully everything works out.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it seems the best explanation (someone else with the exact same symptoms) that it was a piston ring land broke of a piece because of early detonation (sct tune) and octane and smashed in the plug ends :( I have to look inside to see if I must pull the piston or if I can live with it , or it was something else. It drives fine right know with 89 octane and 2 new plugs, I reaaalllllllly dont want to pull it to replace 1 piston, but I will if I have to, and maybe throw a cam in, the wife wont know its not a replacement part :)

·
Registered
746 Posts
Better to repair now if it is broken then to wait and have more expensive repairs later. Unless your hoping for a 426 Stroker perhaps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts