Charger Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey good people,

I was at the drag strip the other day and had something happen that I've not yet experienced. The first run of the day, I went to do the burnout and the transmission almost immediately disengaged and left me without any gears. After turning the car off and re-starting, it was fine, so I went for a another shot at it and the same thing happened. It ran down the track fine, but with the engine light on. I tried a couple of passes without a burnout but my launches just weren't great so I gave it one more try at the burnout and sure enough, same thing. After that I packed it up and took it to a transmission shop. At the shop they were able to pull the code (InTune wouldn't read the code). They also dropped the pan and changed the filter and fluid, both of which looked good.

Any ideas on what might be causing this? I have shift points at stock, and I've done burnouts with the current tune without any problem. Am I looking at a failing sensor of some sort (speed sensor maybe?) or am I looking at something starting to give in the transmission? Any advice on what to look for first would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It's an '08 Charger R/T, by the way. I don't remember if my sig says that or not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i had the same probleme on my 2006 sxt it's the idle sensor in the transmission that gave up, when it does the transmission switch to a safe mode and stops shifting, my advice start looking at the sensors first

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
DTC P0219 Engine Overspeed Condition

Possible causes

- Wheel slippage (water, ice, mud, and snow)
- Excessive engine RPM in NEUTRAL or operated in the wrong transmission gear.
- Mechanical engine problems
- Mechanical transmission problem
- Powertrain control module
- Transmission control problem

Possible symptoms

- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)

P0219 Dodge Description

Indicates the vehicle has been operated in a manner which caused the engine speed to exceed a calibrated limit. The engine RPM is continuously monitored and evaluated by the PCM. The DTC is set when the RPM exceeds the calibrated limit set within the PCM. For additional information on the engine RPM limiter, refer to Section 1, Electronic Engine Control (EC) System Powertrain Control Software.

The simple answer is that you over-revved the engine. Try keeping your burnouts to a lower RPM. Don't bounce off the rev limiter.

It's either that or you have a mechanical failure that you need to chase.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
I agree with Ddaddy on this one. Over revved and the TCM and PCM don't like that. Try doing your burnouts in firsts gear and finish in second gear. I have had this happen, now I just do the burnouts in drive and not autostick

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. The thing that troubles me is that I do my burnouts in Drive, never autostick, and have never had this issue before until this one day where it happened 3 times. I feel like that has to be a sensor gone bad. I'm going to try some burnouts while data-logging, I imagine if I'm not actually over-revving, that would point to a bad sensor (or worst case scenario, a part failure?)?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts