Charger Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 2015 awd Pursuit the other week. Only been able to drive it around a few times. The couple of times I have, I’ve noticed the trans or transfer case is very clunky and noisy. Is that typical of a 162k unit?

·
Registered
62 Posts
My '15 AWD 5.7 Pursuit with 132K miles does the same.

I need to update a couple threads with the full list of needed repairs, but the short answer on mine:
  • front diff
  • both front half shafts
  • rear diff
  • both driveshafts

The front diff seems to be the primary clunk you describe, crawl under and try twisting the front driveshaft by hand, mine has lots of play at the diff input. When driving, step on gas (clunk), let off gas (clunk), repeat as desired. Clunk. Clunk. Clunk.

My rear diff makes lots of noise when backing up a hill.

I'm still working on my refit plan.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My '15 AWD 5.7 Pursuit with 132K miles does the same.

I need to update a couple threads with the full list of needed repairs, but the short answer on mine:
  • front diff
  • both front half shafts
  • rear diff
  • both driveshafts

The front diff seems to be the primary clunk you describe, crawl under and try twisting the front driveshaft by hand, mine has lots of play at the diff input. When driving, step on gas (clunk), let off gas (clunk), repeat as desired. Clunk. Clunk. Clunk.

My rear diff makes lots of noise when backing up a hill.

I'm still working on my refit plan.
Oof, sounds like the idea of trading for a RWD sounds like a good idea for me. Lol. Turned many a wrenches on them, never tinkered with an AWD model.

·
Registered
62 Posts
On a strict financial basis, my refit does not make sense. For the cost of my retired Pursuit plus the cost of repairs (assuming I had the dealer do everything), I could buy a better consumer version of a Charger.

My goal is to build a 4-season daily driver. And around here, having AWD makes sense a few days each year.

While I am taking a chance on the engine and transmission (they seem good, even the dealer "blessed" them verbally), mine is a reasonably good foundation. Since I am building to go 100,000 miles, having a new driveline is not a bad thing.

I am committed to AWD on my car, but looking at everything I am already going to replace, I am now thinking about the LSD conversion a few have successfully completed. It would make the car just that little bit better in the snow. I'm not sure what this project required, but have heard of a couple successes.

But first, I need working headlights!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On a strict financial basis, my refit does not make sense. For the cost of my retired Pursuit plus the cost of repairs (assuming I had the dealer do everything), I could buy a better consumer version of a Charger.

My goal is to build a 4-season daily driver. And around here, having AWD makes sense a few days each year.

While I am taking a chance on the engine and transmission (they seem good, even the dealer "blessed" them verbally), mine is a reasonably good foundation. Since I am building to go 100,000 miles, having a new driveline is not a bad thing.

I am committed to AWD on my car, but looking at everything I am already going to replace, I am now thinking about the LSD conversion a few have successfully completed. It would make the car just that little bit better in the snow. I'm not sure what this project required, but have heard of a couple successes.

But first, I need working headlights!
The amount of money I want to sink into mine is staggering, when I’d rather spend that on the mustang in the garage. Needs a front and rear bumper due to lights being removed, drivers fender painted due to paint being ruined during decal removal, drivers rear door needs repainted due to decal removal, need to plan for cam and lifters, 162k mile front seats suck, needs a console, needs a few creature comforts…I hate projects sometimes.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Check where noise is coming from. My 14 has less mileage but the first time driving it there were a bunch of strange noises which were all because of a partially seized u joint in the sriveshsft.
I've got the holes in the bumpers, a friend of mine patched and painted the fenders for me and I changed the seats and added carpet and console for the same reasons.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The amount of money I want to sink into mine is staggering, when I’d rather spend that on the mustang in the garage. Needs a front and rear bumper due to lights being removed, drivers fender painted due to paint being ruined during decal removal, drivers rear door needs repainted due to decal removal, need to plan for cam and lifters, 162k mile front seats suck, needs a console, needs a few creature comforts…I hate projects sometimes.
My paint is good, at least good enough; have some chips and dings. And I have a full original interior including Pursuit console. I'll have to get a pic of it. Previous owner changed the wheels (TPMS issues), tinted the windows, and cut out the mufflers and resonators.

I was happy to see mine had HID lights, did not see they are a $50 conversion from Amazon. And they have failed. And a LED marker is out, that part is several hundred to $1,000. Assuming I can get the part (backorder, no ETA)

Cam and lifters? That is part of me punting. Trusting the engine and transmission to keep going and going.

And will have to replace my driver's side seat track (backorder, no ETA. sooner rather than later. Plus brakes (aftermarket only per dealer) and better tires (not yet spec'ed).

My hurdle is all the spinny parts between the transmission and the wheels.

How about some pics of your's? Here is one of mine:

Car Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle

No spotlight.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My paint is good, at least good enough; have some chips and dings. And I have a full original interior including Pursuit console. I'll have to get a pic of it. Previous owner changed the wheels (TPMS issues), tinted the windows, and cut out the mufflers and resonators.

I was happy to see mine had HID lights, did not see they are a $50 conversion from Amazon. And they have failed. And a LED marker is out, that part is several hundred to $1,000. Assuming I can get the part (backorder, no ETA)

Cam and lifters? That is part of me punting. Trusting the engine and transmission to keep going and going.

And will have to replace my driver's side seat track (backorder, no ETA. sooner rather than later. Plus brakes (aftermarket only per dealer) and better tires (not yet spec'ed).

My hurdle is all the spinny parts between the transmission and the wheels.

How about some pics of your's? Here is one of mine:

View attachment 308153

No spotlight.

Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

The only photo I have so far. Need to take more. I’m hoping to have some time this week to spend a fair bit of time compounding and detailing this thing to save what I can.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The only photo I have so far.
Nice! Another without a spotlight. Silver looks good too. I threw mine into a detail shop for a little love, it helped a lot inside and out.

I would find some convenient plugs for the bumper holes (with a rattle-can paint match). Unless you want to put a pushbar back on it.

If you get a chance to find out, are your wheels original? My originals were replaced with "standard" 20" R/T wheels; original steel 18s are long gone. I need to make some decisions on tires (which may also mean wheels) in the next month or so. Your wheels look fine to me, are they 18s?

My 20" tires need 32 PSI, stock 18s run at 35... TPMS errors on the dash...

I'll try to grab an interior post-detail pic later tomorrow. Curious what you have?

And have you tried your dome light? The on-switch works in two directions. Eye-saving red light for night use in one direction.

Today, I ripped out the $50 (as priced on Amazon) HID kit and installed stock replacement headlamp bulbs! Yeh! My lady and I can finally drive at night.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice! Another without a spotlight. Silver looks good too. I threw mine into a detail shop for a little love, it helped a lot inside and out.

I would find some convenient plugs for the bumper holes (with a rattle-can paint match). Unless you want to put a pushbar back on it.
I’m strongly considering putting the kit I had in my 14 back in this one. Previous owner still has the push bumper that was on it, I’ll be picking it up this week. Probably shove a couple Federal Signal hideaway’s or another brand into the other holes.

If you get a chance to find out, are your wheels original? My originals were replaced with "standard" 20" R/T wheels; original steel 18s are long gone. I need to make some decisions on tires (which may also mean wheels) in the next month or so. Your wheels look fine to me, are they 18s?

My 20" tires need 32 PSI, stock 18s run at 35... TPMS errors on the dash...
They are the original 18” steelies. I’m going to repaint the wheels and paint the caps black.

I'll try to grab an interior post-detail pic later tomorrow. Curious what you have?
No console and a set of horrific front seats. Rear seat is brand new, it lived it’s entire life under a plastic cover. Need to replace the rear seat belt latches…they don’t work for some reason.

And have you tried your dome light? The on-switch works in two directions. Eye-saving red light for night use in one direction.
I love the dome light. Had a 14 pursuit, and I loved it in that one. Gonna replace all the other interior lights with LED’s.

Today, I ripped out the $50 (as priced on Amazon) HID kit and installed stock replacement headlamp bulbs! Yeh! My lady and I can finally drive at night.
I need to get better bulbs for mine. The stock halogens are god awful. Gonna replace with LED or HID. The housings need to be replaced as well. Tons of age on them.

Reactions: John Kloehr

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My interior:

View attachment 308221

Needs a vacuum.
Those are the seats I have and they are god awful. I’m looking for a set of cheap bucket seats. Did yours come factory with carpet? I know that’s one thing I wish mine had. Not the biggest fan of the rubber flooring.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have carpet. It cleaned up well in detailing.I think it is original.

I like my seats, but I carry and these seats grip well without interfering with my holster.

Sport buckets should bolt right in. If you want really fancy, check out a complete 300C interior. Think it is mostly a bolt-in.

A consumer version center console will fit, but air ducts and wiring will be challenges; as is converting from column to floor shift. I have no clue if the back seats, even if swapped, can be made to fold.

What have you found out about your driveline clunk?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have carpet. It cleaned up well in detailing.I think it is original.

I like my seats, but I carry and these seats grip well without interfering with my holster.

Sport buckets should bolt right in. If you want really fancy, check out a complete 300C interior. Think it is mostly a bolt-in.

A consumer version center console will fit, but air ducts and wiring will be challenges; as is converting from column to floor shift. I have no clue if the back seats, even if swapped, can be made to fold.

What have you found out about your driveline clunk?
Haven’t had a chance to crawl underneath it to check. I’ll have some more time next week to look. Part of me wonders if it’s the trans mount. I’ll find out.

Picking up a set of front seats tomorrow. The nice houndstooth sport seats. The stock patrol seats in mine are toast.

Picked up a set of 9005 LED’s, they worked for about 30 seconds, then shut off, stuck the halogens back in. Send these over priced sylvanias back to the store and get a set of the Auxito’s everyone talks about. Also found out that my car is missing an air filter. No wonder it has so much intake noise.

Still trying to decide what I want to do for a console. Part of me wants and civilian console, another part of me would be fine with the basic insert, another wants a JottoDesk or Havis and jam all of my gear back in.

Wish I could find a bright silver parts car and just yank stuff off of it. Really just want to clean this car up and enjoy it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts