Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this problem when I'm driving that when I go over any uneven surface or potholes, it does this loud clunking noise when the tires go thru them... I thought it was the brakes but supposedly that wasn't it..

I've been told it's the lower control arm or aka "tension strut" and it's possibly because the ball joint is waisted. Has anybody has had this problem or know what it really is?

Would be much appreciated

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
lower ball joints...tie rods or tension strut....replace them all with moog greasable parts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lower ball joints...tie rods or tension strut....replace them all with moog greasable parts
Ive only got the tension strut so Idk if just to change that and it will go away.. but of course I know changing all is the best/smart way...

Any specific one of the 3 u think it's really coming from tho? Or just it's the combination of all 3 then

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Ive only got the tension strut so Idk if just to change that and it will go away.. but of course I know changing all is the best/smart way...

Any specific one of the 3 u think it's really coming from tho? Or just it's the combination of all 3 then

Its hard to say without grabbing the suspension and hitting it to see where the noise is coming from.

The reason I say to replace them all is once you have the tension strut off the rest are just that close, and they are known to fail. See I replaced everything last spring but the lower ball joints....guess whats making noise now....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its hard to say without grabbing the suspension and hitting it to see where the noise is coming from.

The reason I say to replace them all is once you have the tension strut off the rest are just that close, and they are known to fail. See I replaced everything last spring but the lower ball joints....guess whats making noise now....
damn that sucks homie.. u know what then I'll go ahead and replace all of them now that you've mentioned that. I really appreciate it, it will be done this Friday for sure now

·
Registered
850 Posts
Chances are its a combination lf all of it and it all needs to be replaced. Its not all that expensive and all these parts are easy to do so might as well do it all. Mine never went away until i did the bushings but it got better as i did the other stuff.

Replace the upper and lower joints And both tie rods with moog parts

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have the same clunk noise going on in my front left suspension. I want to get this fixed as it's been going on for a while and I don't want it to cause other problems.

So is this something I can replace myself or should I take it to my mechanic to do it? What would you guys rate this 1-10 for difficulty with 10 being difficult and saying for instance installing a CAI is a 4.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
Yeah do the sway bar bushing first. I spent almost $800 to solve the clunk. And it wasn't the problem. Then to find out it was the bushing the whole time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have the same clunk noise going on in my front left suspension. I want to get this fixed as it's been going on for a while and I don't want it to cause other problems.

So is this something I can replace myself or should I take it to my mechanic to do it? What would you guys rate this 1-10 for difficulty with 10 being difficult and saying for instance installing a CAI is a 4.

Thanks

If a CAI is a 4, then 5-6. Its not hard

1 - 11 of 11 Posts