Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a clunk or hesitation when going from reverse to drive. My RT didn't do this. On my SRT I have to pause for a second or so after going in reverse before giving it gas after getting into drive. My RT was ready to go.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So is this reverse to drive hesitation/clunk something everyone else have or do I need to have this looked at under warranty?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I'm wondering if it's normal for us. My RT was ready to go as soon as I switched to drive. With my SRT I find myself waiting to punch it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well, you're "supposed" to come to a complete stop before you shift gears. But, I have noticed that when you DO put it in gear, you have to wait a second for it to respond so you can actually move. I've noticed it to, and I'd be hesitant to say it was normal, but it seems everyone has that issue, so it may not even be an issue at all.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thats one way to get your car in the shop. Come to a complete stop before switching from R to D and you will be good to go. I was guilty of doing the same thing in all my cars until a buddy of mine (works in a transmission shop) told me it's hell on the tranny.

·
Registered
575 Posts
So is this reverse to drive hesitation/clunk something everyone else have or do I need to have this looked at under warranty?
I seem to remember something about this coming up in one of the monthly Team SRT chat sessions. There is what you might call a a short delay or hesitation when shifting from Reverse to Drive and I think vice versa. From what I understand, it's intended to protect the transmission from damage.

·
Registered
628 Posts
This is actually completely normal. However, there is one way to get around it, hit neutral for about 1/2 a second and then drive, and your car will react like those crappy trannies that don't protect themselves.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Yeah I notice that every darn morning. I pull into work, then go into reverse to back into my parking spot. Since there is a slight decline in the surface it seems to take a moment to get into reverse. Strange...but i have gotten used to it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Mine shudders from reverse to drive unless I wait a full second at a full stop.
I also often get a shudder when switching from reverse to drive. Doesn't happen all of the time.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I think it's normal for these trans, anyone driven a Mercedes E-class to verify? Like anything else with these transmissions, it has a ton of over-engineering/failsafe features to protect itself. So long as you are not applying the throttle between shifts I doubt it is being damaged. I just hold the brake for a second until know it engages, I maybe feel it delay the shift like 25% of the time.

Eric

1 - 12 of 12 Posts