Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have to replace my driver side air bag and i was wondering if i need to replace the "clockspring" i keep hearing about located behind the wheel

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
Why is the airbag being replaced? It should not be necessary to replace the clockspring just because you're replacing the airbag but if the airbag was deployed and the clockspring was damaged as a result, it should be replaced.

The clockspring includes a rotary switch mechanism that allows the electrical switches on the steering wheel (audio control buttons, horn, and airbags) to rotate while maintaining electrical contact. Do you know if it was damaged?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my car was damaged and the air bag was deployed i haven't taken the air bag off to inspect the clockspring as of yet but all of my steering wheel controls are still fully functional

·
Registered
626 Posts
Direct from the 2006 LX Service Manual:

SERVICE AFTER AN AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT

DRIVER AIRBAG

After a Driver Airbag has been deployed due to a collision, the following MUST be replaced:
- Driver Airbag
- Clockspring Assembly
- Steering Wheel
- Complete Steering Column Assembly w/Lower Steering Column Coupler
All other airbag and vehicle components should be closely inspected following any airbag deployment, and should be replaced when visible damage is incurred.

SEAT BELTS AND TENSIONERS

After a frontal impact where an airbag has been deployed due to a collision, the following MUST be replaced:
- Front Seat Belt and Retractor (driver and passenger) with integral Tensioners.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts