Charger Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I've been having an ongoing problem with my 2006 3.5L Charger for quite awhile now. I will try to be as detailed as I can in my description, so please pardon the length of this post.

The Problem:

When I'm accelerating from a dead stop, there is a single "click" or knock sound that seems to be coming from either the engine or underneath the car. The sound only occurs while in low gear (1st or 2nd) between 1500 and 1750 RPM and only when I step on the gas pedal. Occasionally there will be two clicks instead of one but it is definitely not continuous. The sound becomes very faint to non-existent once the engine reaches operating temperature and is definitely louder on a cold start.

I can reproduce this sound by allowing the RPM's to drop below this range and pressing on the accelerator again. The sound will not occur in park or neutral and has never happened in reverse either. I've also tried revving the engine in gear with the brake held down and the noise is also not present.

This is a very intermittent issue and when it occurs I can definitely notice a difference in power and acceleration. The car is sluggish and the throttle response is significantly reduced. Then there are other occasions where the problem will not occur at all and the car drives like it were brand new. No noise at all and great throttle response. I would say 1 in every 10 starts it is completely fine or if the car is driven again immediately after it has already been warmed up to operating temp.

I've read just about every thread I could find on this problem and have come up with several theories as to what this issue could be, but I am still at a loss.

Theories and Attempts To Repair:

I first thought the brakes could be sticking so I disassembled and greased all 4 brake assemblies. No luck. I also inspected the suspension components and everything appeared to be alright.

The next suspicion that I had was that it was a rocker arm / lifter. I was somewhat doubtful of this because the sound was not a continuous clicking. I read threads that noted the possibility of the shafts knocking against the valve cover due to a sheared off dowel pin, so I replaced both rocker arm assemblies with the stronger Mopar models. This did not fix the problem either.

I use full synthetic oil with a high quality filter and change it regularly. I always use 89 octane gasoline and I've even tried 92 to try to rule out a faulty knock sensor. This really didn't seem to make any difference either. I've changed the differential fluid and coolant as regular maintenance and the power steering and brake fluid are topped off. The only fluid I haven't touched is the trans. I bought the car used at about 35,000 miles (~50,000 now), and plan to have the dealer service it soon.

The last remaining thought that I have is that it might be an issue with either the Manifold Tuning Valve (MTV) or Short Runner Valve (SRV) on the upper intake manifold. I've taken the SRV solenoid off and sprayed the inside of the plenum with PB Blaster to free it if it were stuck but the problem still persists. I've read that some dealerships have replaced the entire upper intake plenum for people with a problem very similar to mine, but I'd really hate to have to do this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Is your Charger AWD? It could be a busted axle in the front.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Tranny mount.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Do you happen to have autostick?
I noted something like this once, i was sittin in my driveway, and i guess it has some good acoustics, i putthe autostick mode on in 1st(heard a click) before i went to take off so i didnt take off, changed to 2nd(cuz the car will allow a 2nd gear takeoff) and heard a click as it changed, tried it a few more times to confirm and sure enuff it did it, only did it on the drive gear changes, not the neutral/reverse/park shifts.
The soft click didnt sound loud enough to be heard with my noisy muffler but it was there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you happen to have autostick?
I noted something like this once, i was sittin in my driveway, and i guess it has some good acoustics, i putthe autostick mode on in 1st(heard a click) before i went to take off so i didnt take off, changed to 2nd(cuz the car will allow a 2nd gear takeoff) and heard a click as it changed, tried it a few more times to confirm and sure enuff it did it, only did it on the drive gear changes, not the neutral/reverse/park shifts.
The soft click didnt sound loud enough to be heard with my noisy muffler but it was there.
Yes, it does have autostick, though I rarely use it. It could very well be making the tick while changing from first to second and I think I'll try to replicate what you did here to see if I can get the same thing.

The noise is similar to the popping sound the cats make when the car is cooling down.

@RT_HEMICHARGED
Nope, no AWD for mine. I don't think it is a problem with the axle due to how intermittent it is. It definitely seems to engine-related as it only occurs when I step on the gas pedal.

@Ddaddy
I will look into the tranny mount, I've never considered it before but you could be right. The car will also shudder at rest sometimes. I wonder if there is a correlation.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
99 Posts
Check the engine mounts as well, try revving the car in park short burst to see if you can get the same noise when tranny is not engaged.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts