Charger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a car show yesterday and was impressed by how well some people had taken care of their cars over the last 40 years. Now I generally take really good care of the exterior and interior, but I confess I don't do much in the engine area. Why?? Because like a lot of other people I am a bit intimidated that I may ruin something by squirting chemicals and water in there.

So, let's have it. What is the proper way to clean the engine and the compartment. What do I use. What do I cover? (pictures please). Please give me and the others in here a really good "how to" on this.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I always clean my engine compartment after every wash. I usually use a rag with water and a little bit of soap. Then for the painted areas and my engine cover (which is also custom painted) I use ice quick detailer spray. I never get any water around the electrical wires thats why I use the rag to prevent this from happening, and on the black plastic or rubber areas in the enigine i get a rag spray a bit of armor all on it and wipe it, not to much though, and wahla, great detailed and clean engine. but dont forget to wipe under the hood as well. :rockon:

·
Registered
285 Posts
I use good 'ol Armor All wipes. The key is to NOT let the engine compartment get all greasy and filthy and you'll never have a hard time keeping it looking clean. My Daytona has 11,000 miles on her and I always get compliments on how clean my engine looks. Here are some pics, judge for yourself.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
I've never cleaned my engine. I see people in the car wash do it all the time, but my whole life I've been "skerred" to do it. I was just thinking about this a couple of weeks ago. I want to keep my baby clean everywhere, so I guess I need to start doing something to her engine compartment. Since my hood struts are on the way, I guess that could be my incentive. *sigh*

·
Registered
430 Posts
I always wait 'till my engine is cooled off. Then I'll lightly spray water over it. I then get my wash rag with just a tad-bit of soap and clean what I can see, then I dry it as much as I can w/a small, soft cloth. Once it's dry, I detail it with the waxing spray (on the painted parts) and some of that forever black stuff (on the dried out rubbery trim parts. Then, I don't drive it for a few hours to make sure that everything has had time to soak in and dry and all that good stuff. Been using the same technique forever on every car I've had and have never had problems. I ONLY do it for shows, though, because I'm not 100% sure how good it is for your engine or what damage can be done if I were to do it on a regular basis or every week when I wash it. Every time I wax it, I do, however, clean and wax the painted engine cover, but nothing else.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up wrapping the CAI in a plastic bag then hosing the rest of it down real good. I then wiped everything I could get to with a rag. I still have a lot of nooks and crannies with some dirt in them, but overall it looks a lot better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts