Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, before I post pictures of my 2007 Dodge Charger SRT8 Plum Crazy, I want to give it a good cleaning/waxing. After doing a lot of research/comments I think I am going to clean/wax my car in this order, please make any kind of comments if you believe there is a better way that it could be done, any kind of suggest would be great. Keep in mind this has never been waxed before.

1. Use a “showerhead” to clean off the car with the “hose”.

2. Clean the car with “Meguiar’s NXT Generation Car Wash” with my “Lamb’s Wool Mitt” wipe off with “Mirage Drying Towel”

3. Clean with the “Meguiar’s Deep Crystal System Paint Cleaner” and wipe off with “Mirage Drying Towel”

4. Clean the Rims with “No More Dust Wheel Cleaner” to remove the Break Dust, and dry off with “Microfiber Towels” (80% Plolyester, 20% Polyamide)

5. Clean the Windows with “Stoner Invisible Glass” wipe off with “News Papers”

6. Last but not least use “Meguiar’s NXT Generation Tech Wax”

Now with the car being purple I figured this would be going the right route, I don’t think I want to make the car darker by any means, but I could be wrong. I could be going at this all wrong or just over worried but I want to make sure I do this right the first time. Now I just need it to stop raining so I can do it, so I have plenty of time for tips/input. THANKS

·
Registered
723 Posts
That sounds like alot, but I bet the results are awesome. I used a regular hose with a spray nozle, not set to high.
I cant remember the soap the hubby used, but, it was automotive soap. Then we used a shami (chamise sp?) cloth to dry it off. Then we took a clay bar to it, and OMG what a difference. Then we wiped off again. Then he took Mequires wax on it, and buffed it. Cant remember the name of the tire spray, but it makes them look very clean but not "wet". We then used a automotive window cleaner with white paper towels, and a micro fiber cloth afterwards.

The car looks brilliant now. We just havent had any perfect opprotunities to take pics to show it off yet.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the consumer grade Meguiars products. Depending on the results you want to achieve, you really DO get what you pay for with polishes and waxes. For what it's worth, here's what I do:

Wash with (ok, I use one of their products...heh) Meguiars car wash.
Use a microfiber covered sponge. Use 2 buckets (one to soak up the soap and one for rinsing before soaking up more soap).

Claybar the car with Adams claybar + Adams detail spray for lubricant.

Rinse and dry with microfiber towel.

Apply Menzerna Po106ff nano polish with PorterCable 7424 (5500rpm) and Edge2000 "light cut" pad.

Buff with microfiber towel.

Apply Menzerna FMJ paint sealant with PorterCable 7424 (2000rpm) and Edge2000 finishing pad.

Buff with microfiber towel.

For extra deep shine, you can layer another FMJ coat on after 24 hours or apply a coat of high quality carnuba wax on top. The stoners window cleaner is great. Instead of newspaper, use a microfiber towel to wipe the windows clean. On rubber/plastic surfaces, I use 303 Aerospace Protectant. It's got a nice matte finish without silicone and has UV protection.

Good luck!

Best,

·
Registered
723 Posts
Just so I dont get yelled at for not taking the pics.. Here are some from tonight.. About 24 hours after the bath, and a drive to my barn.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it sounds like one thing I am missing is the ClayBar and Meguiars is a consumer grade? For me price doesn’t really matter so if there is something better I have no issue paying for it. Jeez, nice looking car TwistedCherry...VERY NICE! I guess I am also messing around with is to use a "Wax" or "Sealant", not really too sure with my color.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
To me that sounds like too much for a first wash. It sounds like a decent routine overall. I wouldn't use newspaper to wipe the windows. Also I would use microfiber instead of lambswool (well good quality microfiber anyway). Also, claybar is a must before any wax is applied. The actual brand products you use is entirely up to you. You could pick any number of products and someone on here has gotten good results with it. Try a few things and stick to what works for you. Can't wait to see those pics!
-J

·
Registered
10,655 Posts
Someone wanna come do mine? lol
I need a serious interior detail. Been too much rain followed by too much dust here this summer.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Overall sounds pretty good. Don't worry about the newspaper or any other towel for that matter. Use microfiber for everything! And all I've used for the past several years is Meguiars. And for the past 2 or 3 the NXT Generation line. ABSOLUTELY IN LOVE WITH ALL OF IT. The wax, the speed detailer, the spray wax, the wash, everything. The only thing I would say to throw on before the wax, is a good coat of Meguiars polish. Truly gives it a wet look and sparkle that I have yet to see matched! I always skipped this step, until about a month ago. And WOW!! Bigger difference than I could have expected! Good luck!
Chase

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Overall sounds pretty good. Don't worry about the newspaper or any other towel for that matter. Use microfiber for everything! And all I've used for the past several years is Meguiars. And for the past 2 or 3 the NXT Generation line. ABSOLUTELY IN LOVE WITH ALL OF IT. The wax, the speed detailer, the spray wax, the wash, everything. The only thing I would say to throw on before the wax, is a good coat of Meguiars polish. Truly gives it a wet look and sparkle that I have yet to see matched! I always skipped this step, until about a month ago. And WOW!! Bigger difference than I could have expected! Good luck!
Chase
Is this the correct Polish you are talking about?

·
Registered
723 Posts
:lol: You live in a barn?
Goober!

I work on a ranch. I work in an office, but its built on a ranch. The driveway from the main road is a 1/2 mile dirt and gravel road....

I go very slow

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hehe, why do I feel like I'm poking a tiger with a stick.

·
Registered
723 Posts
LOL, I grabed the wrong pic on the web site LOL, I replaced it with the correct one, is that right? Thanks
Hes been watching CSI again. He gets all "know it all" on ya when he does..

Just ignore him..lol

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Man, I don’t know what I would do without you guys, my car would of probably been through a regular car wash, use regular rags to dry it off with and use turtle wax lol. Thanks again guys, major help in my handicap car knowledge; this is why I am just a computer engineer.:grin:

·
Registered
10,655 Posts
For drying, I love The Absorber. Safe for the paint, takes far more water off than a chamois, and never goes bad or gets smelly. Comes with a plastic tube for storage. Store it damp.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts