Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Guy's,

What can be used to clean up the ugly engine aluminum, and then maybe treat it to stay clean longer.

You can have a great looking engine bay and then see that crapy engine aluminum, it's just not right.:sad:

·
Premium Member
4,351 Posts
There was a thread on this a while back. Can't remember exactly what was used but seem to recall it was a simple process. Try a search for it.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Ok Guy's,

What can be used to clean up the ugly engine aluminum, and then maybe treat it to stay clean longer.

You can have a great looking engine bay and then see that crapy engine aluminum, it's just not right.:sad:
Do a search on the user RandysWay (at least I think that's his ID). He seems to have it down to a science. A woman could use his engine as a make-up mirror. :)

Best,

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guy's,

Will do the search to see what I can find ........

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Do a search on the user RandysWay (at least I think that's his ID). He seems to have it down to a science. A woman could use his engine as a make-up mirror. :)

Best,
X2..... randy's car is unreal !
Probably one of the nicest R/t's anywhere.
Check out his intake.... best one I've seen.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have used castrol degreaser on my trans in my 3000gt and it shines right up. Just spray it on take a tooth brush to it and spray it off with water. It has never caused a problem with my stuff.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Subliminal Hemi,

When you clean the Aluminum are you doing it with the motor warm or cold ?

Also, have you had any trouble with leaveing a film behind on your plastic or rubber parts ?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Subliminal Hemi,

When you clean the Aluminum are you doing it with the motor warm or cold ?

Also, have you had any trouble with leaveing a film behind on your plastic or rubber parts ?
I believe i have done it warm and cold. I know before I put my transmission in my 3000gt I cleaned it all with CASTROL degreaser it's in a purple container. I have also done it while the transmission was on the car. No film is really left behind and the aluminum shines right up. The stuff works really good for a lot of things in the garage.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Subliminal Hemi,

Thanks for the information, may have to give it a try. :lol:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got the 3.5 in my Charger. Looking to clean the valve covers and front timming chain cover. When you open the hood it's stands out like a sore thumb.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I got the 3.5 in my Charger. Looking to clean the valve covers and front timming chain cover. When you open the hood it's stands out like a sore thumb.
I would soak a rag really good in water ring it out and then just spray the degreaser on the rag. It will probably leave streaks on your valve cover if you put it on while the engine is warm. I would do it while its cold and use the rag method, I wouldnt spray it directly on the valve covers. So goes for the timing chain cover. You could also probably hit it with a metal polish and it shine quite nice. I would have to see a pic of a v6 motor. I havent seen many any person. Cant really visualize how the covers look.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
With the engine WARM (but not very hot), spray the area down with some Simple Green. Scrub with a brush if you want or just let it soak for 2-3 mins. Then rinse it off. That works wonders for removing dirt/grime. It also removes wax, so don't get it on your exterior finish. Sorry, my previous post assumed you wanted to polish things, not just clean them up.

Best,

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RitzRT,

What I really want is to get that white powder off that seems to form on the unfinished aluminum. I have used Simple Geen and it does clean it up ok but still leaves a little of the white scaly stuff behind.

But that was with just spraying it on and takeing the hose to wash it off. Guess I will need to try a small brush.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts