Charger Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had my Charger detailed about a year ago and at the time I bought some sealant and a clay bar. Well the weather was so nice today I decided to give the car a good wash and then I remembered I had the clay bar and thought how nice it would be to get it back to that smooth slick feeling it had when I got it detailed. So I go to get the clay bar that is in a sealed plastic bag and a zip lock bag and open it. It had a crust on it and I had to spend about ten minutes working it in the soapy water to get it smooth and plyable. I clay bar the car and put two coats of sealant on the car and it is slick. My neighbor has an SRT8 300 and we were sitting on the porch drinking some beer when I was telling him about how the clay managed to get dried out in two layers of plastic and then it dawned on me. I had put the used clay in a tupperware container and set it on the shelf but then I thought "WHY NOT PUT IT IN THE FREEZER?" That's what I did, can anyone think of a reason why this wouldn't be a good idea?

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
So I had my Charger detailed about a year ago and at the time I bought some sealant and a clay bar. Well the weather was so nice today I decided to give the car a good wash and then I remembered I had the clay bar and thought how nice it would be to get it back to that smooth slick feeling it had when I got it detailed. So I go to get the clay bar that is in a sealed plastic bag and a zip lock bag and open it. It had a crust on it and I had to spend about ten minutes working it in the soapy water to get it smooth and plyable. I clay bar the car and put two coats of sealant on the car and it is slick. My neighbor has an SRT8 300 and we were sitting on the porch drinking some beer when I was telling him about how the clay managed to get dried out in two layers of plastic and then it dawned on me. I had put the used clay in a tupperware container and set it on the shelf but then I thought "WHY NOT PUT IT IN THE FREEZER?" That's what I did, can anyone think of a reason why this wouldn't be a good idea?
That's odd about it drying out. I haven't had that problem with them in ziplock bags. When they get a bit hard and aren't as pliable, I've found that 20-25 secs in the microwave softens 'em right up and you can knead it much easier to get it ready for use.

What brand was it? I generally use Adams clay.

Best,

·
Registered
173 Posts
Spray some of the clay lubricator ( nothing but soapy water) into the zip lock before you seal it for storage - never had a problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like I said it was double bagged and still dried out and was crusty. Putting some water in it and leaving it for 6 months doesn't seem realistic to me in expecting it not to seep out. But freezing it seems like it will preserve it indefinately. Just a thought, we will find out next spring when I pull it out of the freezer.

I don't know who ever thought about rubbing their car with a hunk of clay but they are a genius. I love how smooth it makes it after the sealant is reapplied.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I don't know who ever thought about rubbing their car with a hunk of clay but they are a genius. I love how smooth it makes it after the sealant is reapplied.
I keep a ratty one around just for doing the glass. Clay is fantastic for getting the windshield squeaky clean.

I'll be curious to see how the freezing works out. I've yet to have one dry out on me so I just leave 'em bagged in my garage.

Best,

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
I keep a ratty one around just for doing the glass. Clay is fantastic for getting the windshield squeaky clean.
I've yet to have one dry out on me so I just leave 'em bagged in my garage.

Best,
Yeah that's odd. I have one in a plastic jar with a screw on lid from Zaino sitting in the garage. I've had it since the first of the year and used it once right after I received it. I clayed my car today with a bar from Mother's and was looking in the garage for a container to store it and found the jar. I forgot I had the used one from Zaino but it's still tacky.

I do my windows also. Can't beat it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts