Charger Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so without getting too technical whats the difference between a Class D amp and a Class AB?? For example I am looking at the alpine MRP-F250 and F450. The F450 is a class D amp, the F250 is a class AB. Besides that flat out power rating, whats the differnce???

Marc

·
Registered
458 Posts
Class D's are workhorse amps
They are made specifcally to take the dumps of subs.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Not exactly right folks. The bandwidth (i.e. how much of a frequency range they could play) of the amps was directly related to the switching frequency of the outputs. In effect, the class D sub amps were designed to drive subs by virtue of the design, not a limitation of the class D topology.

There are a number of manufacturers making full-range Class D amps including the Alpine PDX, Eclipse XA series, Kenwood's new Excelon amps, etc. I've used the PDX amps, and they're not only very strong amps, they sound great!! In fact, many of the audiophiles on the dedicated car audio forums are really liking the PDX amps, especially considering the footprint for the power available. They are the way of the future as they offer great power density and sound quality when designed correctly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts