Charger Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

CHELSEA, Mich. — The Chrysler Group will not tie in any marketing of its 2006 Dodge Charger with the upcoming movie, The Dukes of Hazzard, because it is afraid the display of the Confederate flag on the movie's vintage Charger will offend some viewers.

Full Story Here

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Not surprising, and not bad, either.

Can you blame them? The Confederate Flag (face it, it's the truth) is a symbol of hate and defiance. The T.V. show, I understand, has a good bit of fans and history, but with Chrysler having such tremendous success with the 300C and the Charger, and that success is due (many will say) to black rap artists, it's easy to see why Chrysler would resist biting the proverbial feeding hand.

The question at hand is whether or not you think marketing the Charger alongside and in conjunction with the new film will help bolster sales or hurt them?

I honestly don't know. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
1) I dont care what black rap artists buy
2) The General Lee is not the General Lee without it... no matter what you think of the flag.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I have to say that I would agree with this decision by DCX. I think people unfortunately get offended by too many things and they are just playing it safe/smart.

Can't say as I blame them.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Re: Not surprising, and not bad, either.

epoch said:
Can you blame them? The Confederate Flag (face it, it's the truth) is a symbol of hate and defiance. The T.V. show, I understand, has a good bit of fans and history, but with Chrysler having such tremendous success with the 300C and the Charger, and that success is due (many will say) to black rap artists, it's easy to see why Chrysler would resist biting the proverbial feeding hand.

The question at hand is whether or not you think marketing the Charger alongside and in conjunction with the new film will help bolster sales or hurt them?

I honestly don't know. What do you think?
Sorry I have to disagree with you on this issue. The flag means different things to different people. There are groups of people that use this flag as a form of hate and defiance, but that is not it's only use, or it's primary meaning.

As for flags that have profound meaning, the US flag is believed to have both negitive and positive meanings. It's just a mater of which side your on. I would almost believe that the genicidal attacks on native Americans though the use of troops and even smallpox infested blankets can be seen as a flag of hate.

Anyway, Chrysler can promote whoever they want for what ever reason they want, it's their company to do so. I still plan to get a Charger, no matter what they believe about the Flag.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts

Dysentery Bob said:
Sorry I have to disagree with you on this issue. The flag means different things to different people. There are groups of people that use this flag as a form of hate and defiance, but that is not it's only use, or it's primary meaning.

As for flags that have profound meaning, the US flag is believed to have both negitive and positive meanings. It's just a mater of which side your on. I would almost believe that the genicidal attacks on native Americans though the use of troops and even smallpox infested blankets can be seen as a flag of hate.

Anyway, Chrysler can promote whoever they want for what ever reason they want, it's their company to do so. I still plan to get a Charger, no matter what they believe about the Flag.
Well said, and I respect your opinion, but the U.S. flag is the flag our nation, whereas the Confederate flag stood for dissentation against progressive thinking and the abolishment of slavery.

Conceptions of the US flag as being a symbol of hate are largely overseas and in gross minority within our own borders. The two [flags] do not equivocate.

·
Registered
769 Posts

epoch said:
Well said, and I respect your opinion, but the U.S. flag is the flag our nation, whereas the Confederate flag stood for dissentation against progressive thinking and the abolishment of slavery.

Conceptions of the US flag as being a symbol of hate are largely overseas and in gross minority within our own borders. The two [flags] do not equivocate.
It is the rights of the States to desent against the federal government and even separate themselves if their citizens backed the State's governing body. The war of Northern Agression (Civil War) was really about State Rights and not the Abolishment of slavery.

Then again I am only shouting into the wind with this statement, because everyone knows that the winning side is the one that ends up writing the history of the events.

As far as I know, my family fought and died in defense of Charleston South Carolina. They never owned slaves being opposed of the practice. This stems from being Irish. They fought for the South because they believed that the States had rights that the Federal government did not have authority to control. To make matter even worse, their graves as well as others have been desecrated by these progressive thinkers.

If you’re telling me that it is wrong for people and/or States to protest Federal Government actions then advised me where it says I can't do this and I'll tell you where it says I can. Furthermore, being a Georgia LEO, I have watched protesters march against the Federal Government during the 2004 G8 Summit. Does this mean that I could have shot at them, burned and looted their homes, raped their women for not being progressive thinkers.
Remember Georgia was torched; its women and children were either raped or killed during Sherman's march to the sea through Georgia.

To make matters even worse, the Federal government then saddled the South with the reconstruction era, where again the South was again looted.

I respect your opinion, but this is a Dodge Charger Forum. Please let’s just leave it with that and leave the political, racial, or other topics with other forums. Again, if Chrysler wishes not to advertise with the movie, then fine. I'll will still get the vehicle that has captured my attention. For me this topic is closed.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts

Dysentery Bob said:
It is the rights of the States to desent against the federal government and even separate themselves if their citizens backed the State's governing body. The war of Northern Agression (Civil War) was really about State Rights and not the Abolishment of slavery.

Then again I am only shouting into the wind with this statement, because everyone knows that the winning side is the one that ends up writing the history of the events.

As far as I know, my family fought and died in defense of Charleston South Carolina. They never owned slaves being opposed of the practice. This stems from being Irish. They fought for the South because they believed that the States had rights that the Federal government did not have authority to control. To make matter even worse, their graves as well as others have been desecrated by these progressive thinkers.

If you’re telling me that it is wrong for people and/or States to protest Federal Government actions then advised me where it says I can't do this and I'll tell you where it says I can. Furthermore, being a Georgia LEO, I have watched protesters march against the Federal Government during the 2004 G8 Summit. Does this mean that I could have shot at them, burned and looted their homes, raped their women for not being progressive thinkers.
Remember Georgia was torched; its women and children were either raped or killed during Sherman's march to the sea through Georgia.

To make matters even worse, the Federal government then saddled the South with the reconstruction era, where again the South was again looted.

I respect your opinion, but this is a Dodge Charger Forum. Please let’s just leave it with that and leave the political, racial, or other topics with other forums. Again, if Chrysler wishes not to advertise with the movie, then fine. I'll will still get the vehicle that has captured my attention. For me this topic is closed.

There's no need to end the discussion. That is what this is, after all, a discussion. Not an argument.

You've done an excellent job articulating a silent majority's viewpoint of the civil war, and I applaud you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Erm, you know recently, as of like, the last 50 years, that flag has become more associated with 'southern pride' than anything to do with the civil war. Sure there are a few who really embody the negative line of thinking, but the way it was used in Dukes of Hazzard is definitely the former.

Times change, and it seems the connotation of this flag,at least for the most part, has changed also.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hemilicious said:
Erm, you know recently, as of like, the last 50 years, that flag has become more associated with 'southern pride' than anything to do with the civil war. Sure there are a few who really embody the negative line of thinking, but the way it was used in Dukes of Hazzard is definitely the former.

Times change, and it seems the connotation of this flag,at least for the most part, has changed also.

You know that the AMERICAN flag is a symbol of hate and defiance for the
entire rest of the world... what about that? Do we quit using that? Eh... I can
go either way on the issue. I just think that a small few set their sights on a
particular item they disapprove of, start a campaign against said item, spread
the word on how bad it is, then let the media, political correctness and a
human being's innate desire not to offend take over...

·
Banned
99 Posts
The real reason is that buyers may remember the original Charger and what it was. Then try to compare the new Charger. The new Charger is a Family sedan. The old one was a sports coupe. Big difference.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
castrol said:
You know that the AMERICAN flag is a symbol of hate and defiance for the
entire rest of the world... what about that? Do we quit using that? Eh... I can
go either way on the issue. I just think that a small few set their sights on a
particular item they disapprove of, start a campaign against said item, spread
the word on how bad it is, then let the media, political correctness and a
human being's innate desire not to offend take over...
D Bob already said that. It's all a matter of your exposure to it. My only exposure to it, being from Ohio, is that the ******** in my school used to fly a large one from the back of their pickup truck.

These are the same "good ol' boys" that beat the only black kid in school out in the parking lot and the entire administration covered the thing up, and every teacher denied it (unless you talked to them outside of school). They also routinely spoke of going "****** beating".

Southern pride, it might be, but just because your proud of something doesn't mean it has any valor or worth whatsoever.

·
Registered
98 Posts
epoch said:
D Bob already said that. It's all a matter of your exposure to it. My only exposure to it, being from Ohio, is that the ******** in my school used to fly a large one from the back of their pickup truck.

These are the same "good ol' boys" that beat the only black kid in school out in the parking lot and the entire administration covered the thing up, and every teacher denied it (unless you talked to them outside of school). They also routinely spoke of going "****** beating".

Southern pride, it might be, but just because your proud of something doesn't mean it has any valor or worth whatsoever.

Oh give me a break, And as a white boy who took the Colman Young's bussing plan to the inner city Detroit schools , the same Attitude exsisted toward me. The same Attitude exsits all over the world, in every country, in every remote place, and they dont blame it on a flag.

Hey i dont agree with racism, and i judge people on there actions. But wisdom comes with age, people who may have been a ass in high school could have grown up and changed his/ her ways.

Epoch: what nationality are you, hope thers not some german, or italian, or russsion , or mexican, or ect.

Pick one oh,,,, lets say Polish and proud - I have a mastercard with the polish flag on it. Well lets go back in history and find Polish rulers, who had slaves, tortured people, ect.

Zulu Nation - had slaves , tortured people , wiped out entire tribes.
Egyption - had slaves , tortured people

( but just because your proud of something doesn't mean it has any valor or worth whatsoever) /////**** why be proud at all, of anything.

Pride had value to the owner.

Fault can be found with any Person of any Race if you search history.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Lunger said:
Oh give me a break, And as a white boy who took the Colman Young's bussing plan to the inner city Detroit schools , the same Attitude exsisted toward me. The same Attitude exsits all over the world, in every country, in every remote place, and they dont blame it on a flag.

Hey i dont agree with racism, and i judge people on there actions. But wisdom comes with age, people who may have been a ass in high school could have grown up and changed his/ her ways.

Epoch: what nationality are you, hope thers not some german, or italian, or russsion , or mexican, or ect.

Pick one oh,,,, lets say Polish and proud - I have a mastercard with the polish flag on it. Well lets go back in history and find Polish rulers, who had slaves, tortured people, ect.

Zulu Nation - had slaves , tortured people , wiped out entire tribes.
Egyption - had slaves , tortured people

( but just because your proud of something doesn't mean it has any valor or worth whatsoever) /////**** why be proud at all, of anything.

Pride had value to the owner.

Fault can be found with any Person of any Race if you search history.
Whoa, take it easy man. If you go back to the beginning of this post, you'll see that I took what D Bob said to heart, and I believe it. I'm not blaming anything on the flag. I'm not taking a position on this issue, I'm just telling you what my side of the coin is, and what my sole experience with it has been.

By the way, I'm German, Polish, Irish, Romanian, Russian, and Iroqois Native American. I'd be proud if I could be, but I'm everything. It sort of gives me a stained-glass view of the world, I guess.

Anyway, I haven't argued any points made, but I'm sensing a lot of anger from South of the ol' Mason Dixon...

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Heh... I love how these turn.

I do agree with DCX though. Would have been a huge, political stink raised that they
really don't need. Would have brought nothing but bad publicity... even though any
publicity is supposed to be good publicity.

Not going to be a lot of these on cinder blocks in the front yard for quite a number of years.

;)

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
castrol said:
Would have been a huge, political stink raised ...
Naw, you think? I mean, look, we discussed it without getting into a political argument.

I'M NOT BEING SARCASTIC. NO, REALLY.

honest.

not really.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Dysentery Bob said:

Although a well written 'argument' the war of "Nothern Agression" was not about states rights but as all wars, about $$$. Anyone who is a true study of history(as you seem to be) knows the US gov't could care less for captured and kidnapped peoples of Africa.

The taxation laws as well as the 3/5 rule allowed southern states a political edge in congress that the north did not have. The 'shared' cost of slavery was seen as unfair by the north and to 'share' the cost the north wanted more monies flowing from southern states..

Although to the victor goes the spoils, at least there were more in the north that wanted the abolishment of slavery, for that I am glad the north won. Although it was not the war that 'freed' the slaves but the 13th Amend.

As for Georgia burning, there were many slave women and men who were beat, raped, killed and torn from there families the middle passage alone took more lives than many wars combined.

Jim Crow Laws and the voters rights act was many years after slavery and shows how our country has a torrid past.

I just hope that we all can learn from our past and not repeat the mistakes of our forefathers.

Oh yeah, did I mention that I can't wait to see the SRT8 charger!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Fo sho Tekhen. Juneteenth I believe it is. Anyway, glad to know that we can voice our opinions and show respect here agree or disagree. I love grown ups :happy: Still in all DCX made smart move to leave it alone, and just let the car sell through word of mouth and the strength on the rest of their lineup.

·
Registered
1 Posts

ya know what i am a huge fan of the dues and their car and the flag i think that you are over your head saying that it is a flag of hate it is a flag of prid ethat many men died for some people are offended cuz the cross was burn in black peoples yard dose this mean we take down our crosses??? i would love to see a show with the new charger as the general..
Gary

·
Banned
27 Posts
But the thing is, who is Hollywood afraid they will offend? I think the people going to see the new movie are people who watched the show for the most part. I don't think this movie will appeal to black rap artists. Look at all they put in movies these days, violence, rape, without a second thought, and they are afraid of a little old flag.

I really don't care about the flag at all. I think people who claim it's for pride are almost as moronic as the people who are offended by it no matter in what context they see it. But I'll tell you this, if I pay for a ticket to that movie and there is no flag on that car, I am walking out.

That show is SOOOO innocent, I can't believe people make such a stink about that flag.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.