1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
Huh. Model-year buildout was in May, so it'll impact pretty much all of them, I'd think.

I've had some minor wonky stuff with my ignition recently, but not quite what's described. Also, I had my Wireless Ignition Node replaced twice, back when I first got the car, for not releasing the key.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I'm assuming that the 08 and prior cars were the ones that had real metal keys as opposed to the plastic fob that they ripped off from Mercedes?

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
I'm assuming that the 08 and prior cars were the ones that had real metal keys as opposed to the plastic fob that they ripped off from Mercedes?
Yep. The USB style fob is the issue. It doesn't sit far enough into the lock mechanism to be held securely by the cylinder like the old key was and the connection mechanism is too shallow to deal with the lateral rotational forces.

I remember thinking that design was a bad idea when I first saw it. :(

·
Registered
909 Posts
Yep. The USB style fob is the issue. It doesn't sit far enough into the lock mechanism to be held securely by the cylinder like the old key was and the connection mechanism is too shallow to deal with the lateral rotational forces.

That's interesting. I never heard of any problems with these. Was 2008 the only year effected by this?

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
That's interesting. I never heard of any problems with these. Was 2008 the only year effected by this?
Chrysler has announced a recall covering 349,442 vehicles due to ignition switches that can either become stuck or move without warning. All of the affected vehicles are from the 2008 model year, and were built before May 12, 2008.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Oh phew, i misread it elsewhere as pre08, and thought they wanted to get rid of the key trick...

·
Registered
635 Posts
Has anyone seen this yet?

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/25/chrysler-dodge-jeep-350k-ignition-switch-recall/

Interestingly enough, my car was built in March of 08, so according to the article, it is affected.
Never had that issue so far or heard of that recall before, first time... and I have a 2008 built in march 2008, too. :surprise:

Hi DDaddy, my favorite photoshopper!! I don't know if what Chrysler say about it is the issue, maybe is the same result of having the ignition key with a bunch of other keys adding weight to the ignition switch. It happened to any car, that's my experience with older cars. For that reason, I always had the ignition key in a separate key holder to avoid the weight added to the switch by the other keys (house keys, remotes, etc). Also, they recommended the same:

"In addition, as a "supplementary precaution," Chrysler is urging customers to detach their ignition keys from the rest of their keys and key rings."

That is what we call common sense. :nerd2::grin2:

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
Hmm, I saw this earlier, I have no clue the exact month my car was built. I tried using a vin decoder but all they would give me is the obvious year. I'm pretty certain my car was built around fall though.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Seems like a reasonable excuse to wander around the sales department. :D

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hmm, I saw this earlier, I have no clue the exact month my car was built. I tried using a vin decoder but all they would give me is the obvious year. I'm pretty certain my car was built around fall though.
Hi Steve, you can read the built date on the label located on the driver's front door... you'll see month/year on numbers.

Reactions: Stumblin Steve

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Mine was built May 9, 2008 so it is affected. Has anyone gotten anything in the mail for this yet?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just ran across it while looking at the highlight tiles on my phone. Didn't even know about it until yesterday, and that is what is on the article as well, as far as the date the statement was published.

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
Hi Steve, you can read the built date on the label located on the driver's front door... you'll see month/year on numbers.
Word! Appreciate the head's up :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
Seems like a reasonable excuse to wander around the sales department. :D
You know what's funny? The dealership just called me because they want me to come in and look at the new 2015 Challengers, unfortunately they're V6s and if I upgrade I'm getting at least an R/T :driving: They also want to talk to me about the new Chargers which I'm actually leaning towards more now. After I went to the mountains with my girlfriend, I couldn't imagine carrying all of our crap and drive to the mountains in a Challenger, just not enough room for road trips.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
@Stumblin Steve Next year I want a new Charger or Challenger. I am digging the Scat Pack Challenger and the Thunder Cats edition Charger. All depends on finances at the time. I wouldn't mind talking to the guy who I bought my wife's Durango from again while I get my stuff fixed on the recall.

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
@Stumblin Steve Next year I want a new Charger or Challenger. I am digging the Scat Pack Challenger and the Thunder Cats edition Charger. All depends on finances at the time. I wouldn't mind talking to the guy who I bought my wife's Durango from again while I get my stuff fixed on the recall.
Same here, I'm looking at the R/T+ or the Scat Pack. Unfortunately I wont be able to get the Hellcat unless I keep my current car...which I'm not against, but I'll also be broke lol

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
@Stumblin Steve Haha. All of the research I have done shows that hellcat is probably more drivable in a variety of situations than my current car is. It also gets a couple mpg better and is safer. I don't really see a lot of downside if I can make the price work. I do really like the Scat Pack though and that price is a no brainer.

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
@Gladiator, I didn't realize we could do the "at" thing instead of quoting...COOL! What you said is true, screw it I should sell my car and get the Hellcat, I friggin' love that front end on the Charger.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
@Stumblin Steve It's one of the positive additions to our much maligned forum update. The fact that I have had about 15 different White Charger Scat Pack pics rotating as my desktop probably doesn't help. :D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts