1) a chrome ring around the shifter
2) matte black dash and center console
3) tan lowers and roof
4) matte silver guage bezels
5) sublime radio cover, and stiching
6) gloss silver steering wheel inserts
7) Some kind of flesh colored rubber ring around the sunroof
8) gloss black door halves

Does anybody else think a little less paint... or dye as the case may be, might have made everybodys lives easier? Sheesh.

I'm actually not complaining, but looking for some help. I think it would be pretty slick to swap out the matte silver dash gauge bezels to chrome. This would match the shifter surround, and I could replace the shifter to a nice chrome job to pull together a few colors.

I can't seem to find anyone selling a chrome gauge kit without replacing the entire gauge itself... which I'd prefer not to do. Anybody have any leads?

Also has anybody done anything interesting in chrome with the steering wheel?

Thanks!

--J

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
yeah I painted the gauge rings and steering wheel inserts and got a leather shifer surround.. All the different finishes were bothering me alot

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Painting seems like it would be a good option. First thought that jumps to mind is it might be a bit much... but then I am driving a sublime:) Really would love some more chrome to add a bit more classic muscle car feel.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
re: black is the new chrome

hah! Good point. Although some nice black chrome would be pretty sweet too.
Saw a kit once where you could basically "paint" on chrome with an electrode... wonder if I could cover these in some metallic-ish paint and use something like that to pull it off.

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
i went with red ...personally i think all chrome would look really tacky

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tacky chrome

If it was regular chrome plastic I'd agree. I've got in mind the dash of a pre-70's car where there is mostly metal and very little plastic. The extra metal just makes it feel more muscle machine than car. Like the soul of the machine can't help but slip through. Honestly, I might be stretching too far back to the classic feel of those cars... a material more menacing and new, like billet might fit better in these cars.

I agree with you that it could look tacky because there is something about chrome painted plastic that catches the eye all wrong and gives it away.

So, Instead of that process, I found a couple places that coat the pieces in copper, and then actually chrome them. Not only are they chromed, but they are supposedly more durable as well. Actually wouldn't mind doing some of the underhood stuff in this process.

http://classiccars.about.com/b/2008/02/18/now-you-can-chrome-your-plastic-parts.htm

The regular process to do this, called vacuum metalizing which requires a vacuum chamber and atomized aluminum. I believe thats the one you see chrome toys or those cheesy caps made from.

Wish I had some mock-ups, but I think just doing the matte silver rings around the gauges in real chrome will look pretty slick, and if I don't like it I can always grind it a bit and paint it. Of course if someone had those in billet I'd like to see that too. It just seems like a neglected detail.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts