Charger Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm an idiot and got lazy so I put some scratches into my chrome clads and now they are driving me INSANE! I need to know what I can use to get rid of them? Will Adam's S&H Remover do the job? ScratchX will cover them in but I want to get rid of them and I'm not sure what I can use to do that on the chrome clads? Please Junkman, HELP!

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
So I'm an idiot and got lazy so I put some scratches into my chrome clads and now they are driving me INSANE! I need to know what I can use to get rid of them? Will Adam's S&H Remover do the job? ScratchX will cover them in but I want to get rid of them and I'm not sure what I can use to do that on the chrome clads? Please Junkman, HELP!
Do you have some up close and detailed pictures? I don't know what "chrome clads" are. :confused:

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Do you have some up close and detailed pictures? I don't know what "chrome clads" are. :confused:
R/T with Road and Track package (and Daytona) has a wheel that is cosmetically similar to the SRT wheel. BUT, it's plastic with simulated chrome finish, glued on to an unfinished wheel. The surface scratches pretty easy.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
R/T with Road and Track package (and Daytona) has a wheel that is cosmetically similar to the SRT wheel. BUT, it's plastic with simulated chrome finish, glued on to an unfinished wheel. The surface scratches pretty easy.
Keep in mind that I drive a Vette and you totally lost me with that description. I don't know one new Chrysler from another. Now the 70's models are a different story... :D

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keep in mind that I drive a Vette and you totally lost me with that description. I don't know one new Chrysler from another. Now the 70's models are a different story... :D
Sorry! I'll get some pictures up tonight after work. But essentially they are plastic chrome covers that are adhered to some of the wheels for the different packages to make them look similar to the SRT wheels. Did that help?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Here's a pic of the clad's

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Nope, the entire wheel. Granted it's all made from the same plastic.
I would want to suggest something but I'm very timid about that material. The wrong stuff will stain or etch that wheel so I would have to refrain until I can actually feel it myself.

·
Registered
298 Posts
how deep are they, i had just a few very small ones and i got a power cone and some metal polish and it buffed them out.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They seem to just be surface scratches, sort of like swirls in the paint from washing. I was thinking about buffing them, but like Junkman said, I'm affraid due to the material.

·
Registered
298 Posts
i have been using black magic polish for mine with a power cone, and it works great!

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
junkman, it is a very similar material to like an A-Pillar chrome piece. Pretty soft, and too easily scratched.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Chrome polish and a light hand.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
junkman, it is a very similar material to like an A-Pillar chrome piece. Pretty soft, and too easily scratched.
Oooh yea... That's a tricky piece of material. The buffer could easily scratch it up more and there's no going back after using the wrong thing. Yea, I would have to experiment with that before I could suggest something. I messed up some clear coated wheels once trying different solutions. Luckily, they were track wheels and I didn't care about them.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oooh yea... That's a tricky piece of material. The buffer could easily scratch it up more and there's no going back after using the wrong thing. Yea, I would have to experiment with that before I could suggest something. I messed up some clear coated wheels once trying different solutions. Luckily, they were track wheels and I didn't care about them.
Yeah, I was kind of affraid of that. Maybe I'll give the chrome polish and a light hand a try. Thanks Inferno!

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I have used the Turtle wax chrome polish on my chrome clads with no problem. Not sure how effective it will be on the scratches, but it should make them less noticeable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts