Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just washed my '07 Charger R/T (Road and Track Perf. Pack.) for the first time. I was a little disappointed to find the 20" wheels have chrome covers on them and the wheels themselves are not chrome. I looked at my Window Sticker and sure enough it says, "20 inch Chrome Cald Aluminum Wheels". Has anyone taken the covers off? How do the wheels look underneath?

·
Registered
686 Posts
the chrome covers are bonded to the rim , dont even bother trying to remove them . You will destroy your rims.

·
Super Moderator
11,622 Posts
I just washed my '07 Charger R/T (Road and Track Perf. Pack.) for the first time. I was a little disappointed to find the 20" wheels have chrome covers on them and the wheels themselves are not chrome. I looked at my Window Sticker and sure enough it says, "20 inch Chrome Cald Aluminum Wheels". Has anyone taken the covers off? How do the wheels look underneath?
Oh boy. I feel your pain. Same thing happened to me earlier this year when I bought mine. I was so PI$$3D OFF I sent a scathing e-mail to the Dealer Principle. I basically told him I felt like I was duped.

But it's been about 3 months now, and I am learning to like them. They are shiney as heck, and a breeze to keep clean.

Check out this thread that I started a while back: http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48777

-=FLEX=-

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
They are shiney as heck, and a breeze to keep clean.

-=FLEX=-

x2, it takes me 5 min to clean all 4 rims with a microfiber and amonia free windex mixed with water. They come out like mirrors, like any other top grade tripple chromed rim Ive ever owned.

Ive wondered with all the talk on these wheels, if people are upset with the actual wheel, or more so at the dealer b/c they feel the dealer tried to "pull a fast one"

I HAVE noticed however, they do get more of a oxidation build up in the corners of the spokes quicker then other wheels Ive owned, but a little never dull takes that off in no time. I spend a whopping 10 min a week on the wheels and they will always look brand new

·
Super Moderator
11,622 Posts
the dealer tried to "pull a fast one"
For me this was the primary issue: I felt liked I got screwed.

The salesperson also told me the seats were leather, and we all know the Daytona/R&T seats are vinyl and "Performance Suede". It's near impossible to tell the difference, but still...she lied to us. And that's what I don't like. She acted shocked when I told her after we bought the car that the seats weren't leather. Well, guess what? You're selling them! YOU SHOULD KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!

·
Super Moderator
11,622 Posts
Thanks for that link.

These types of wheel are becoming ubiquitous. A friend of a friend just bought a new Ford Escape. I noticed right away the 'chrome-clad' wheels (you can tell instantly if you look where the valve stem is). So I said "Nice vehicle (just being polite. I mean, a grown man driving an escape??? BLECH), I see you got the plasti-chrome wheels too". He was defiant "Nope, they're Chrome. I paid $800 for them" I said "come with me" and we went around to the front of the house and I said "give them a flick with your finger". BOY WAS HE SHOCKED. LOL.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts

The salesperson also told me the seats were leather, and we all know the Daytona/R&T seats are vinyl and "Performance Suede". It's near impossible to tell the difference, but still...she lied to us. And that's what I don't like. She acted shocked when I told her after we bought the car that the seats weren't leather. Well, guess what? You're selling them! YOU SHOULD KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!
Yea, I deff feel you on that. The service people at my dealership are awesome, but the sales staff is outright re-tarded. One salesperson was telling me they made a 4 cylender charger ( I know he was thinking MDS), but he thought they made a 4 cylender charger. The wholesale manager that overlooked the transaction on my first R/T told me to use 93 only and add "racing fuel additive" from time to time from the autoparts store, when I asked what gas to run lol

·
Registered
386 Posts

Maybe, just maybe, you should have read the window sticker or done just a little bit of research yourself instead of taking the salesperson's word. It's been my experience that they aren't very knowledgeable about any of the cars they sell.

·
Super Moderator
11,622 Posts
Maybe, just maybe, you should have read the window sticker or done just a little bit of research yourself instead of taking the salesperson's word. It's been my experience that they aren't very knowledgeable about any of the cars they sell.
OMFG. I did. But when manufacturer's use vague and MISLEADING terms like "CHROME CLAD" and "PERFORMANCE SUEDE" we can't be expected to undertsand all the underlying BS.

At the end of the day, I really wanted the car (R/T R&T) , and didn't want the SRT, which had real aluminum wheels and leather.

So let's summarize: The "plain jane" R/T has real leather and aluminum wheels. So why would I expect that if I "UPGRADE" to the R&T package I would get fake leather and plastic wheels? Especially when the salesperson tells me so. It makes no sense.

But you're right; CAVEAT EMPTOR (buyer beware) rules. All the more reason I felt duped.

-=FLEX=-

·
Super Moderator
11,622 Posts
ALSO, I had a nice car (2006 Impala SS) but it got destroyed because of some d|c|<h34d so I kinda got rushed into the Charger thing. I have no regrets; I love this car.

Furthermore, the salesperson was a personal friend of my boss, so i had no reason to thnk that she would lie or mislead me in any way.

But again: CAVEAT EMPTOR (buyer beware). I learned my lesson.

-=FLEX=-

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have a base R/T with aluminum rims and I also own an '05 Durango HEMI LTD with "Chrome Clad" rims. The "Chrome Clad" is actually chromed plastic and there are all kinds of stains, pitting and spots on them that nothing seems to work on. If the clad rims on the Charger are plastic like the ones on my Durango, I would be very careful not to let dirt, road grime and brake dust sit on them for a long period of time. I bought the Durango used and the previous owner either was very negligent or carwash solvents really did a number on the plastic chrome hubcaps. I suspect that some of the more aggressive "spray on hose off" wheel cleaning products could also be too abrassive and cause the hub caps to become dull or stained. Just thought I would post this FYI in case they use similar or identical hub caps. Enjoy the rest of the Holiday Weekend!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts