Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the dealer today to let them know I was not 100% happy with my deal. So they gave me a cat-back incentive to keep me happy. They outsource so so I have a choice of the following.

Flowmaster Turbo
Magna Flow
Cherry Bomb Turbo
Thrush

I want the best performance and I'd like to keep the drone to a minimum. And not really looking for ear blasting sound. Just a nice enhanced sound would be awesome.

Could I please get a bit of help with understanding the differences between these systems.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
hmm i'm never heard of thrush before... but out of those choices i'd go with the magna flow.

u can hear the exhausts at lxsoundclips.com

·
Registered
622 Posts
Ha!

Did not know Thrush was still around! Has a purple woodpecker head for a logo, made decent free flow mufflers in the late 70's

No idea what sort of product they have now.

I'd go Magnaflow out of that list (though I have Corsa myself and love it).

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
magnaflow on that list.

tell em you want borla's since theyre mopar certified and see what tehy say :)
thats like a 900 dollar system :D

(or if your in an srt, the Corsa is the mopar cert.)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
magnaflow on that list.

tell em you want borla's since theyre mopar certified and see what tehy say :)
thats like a 900 dollar system :D

They told me that they can't get mopar since chrysler is on strike.?.?.? The Borla is what I really wanted.

Thanks for the input so far. :)

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
They told me that they can't get mopar since chrysler is on strike.?.?.? The Borla is what I really wanted.

Thanks for the input so far. :)
....... what? is it a chrysler jeep dodge dealership?

oh, and to add to what has been mentioned... magnaflow, in my opinion, is the highest quality of those listed, and out of most in general. they are known for the performance gains(not that theyre huge, but compared to anything in the same "modification", they are near the top).

i can tell you however, that it wont be the most aggressive system out there. magnaflow gears their stuff more for performance increase with added sound. its not gonna wake up the neighbors when you roll down the street, but people are gonna know you have some nice exhaust when you get onto it.

all in all, magnaflow makes a great product performance wise as long as you arent looking for something to raise hell with when it comes to noise :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you go with the cherry bomb, don't get the turbo mufflers, they will probably be too quiet.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
....... what? is it a chrysler jeep dodge dealership?

oh, and to add to what has been mentioned... magnaflow, in my opinion, is the highest quality of those listed, and out of most in general. they are known for the performance gains(not that theyre huge, but compared to anything in the same "modification", they are near the top).

i can tell you however, that it wont be the most aggressive system out there. magnaflow gears their stuff more for performance increase with added sound. its not gonna wake up the neighbors when you roll down the street, but people are gonna know you have some nice exhaust when you get onto it.

all in all, magnaflow makes a great product performance wise as long as you arent looking for something to raise hell with when it comes to noise :D
Yep it is my dodge dealer telling me they can't get mopar stuff right now...who knows if it is true. <shrug>

and thanks for the info on the magnaflow...that is closer the answer I am looking for.

My biggest desires is for better MPG and least amount of drone when cruising.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
that wont make a difference(daytona vs r/t) when it comes to exhaustn note if your replacing it. maybe a TINY bit since the daytona airbox is slightly more free flowing, but its still enclosed. the difference in the exhaust is in the "suitcase" muffler. the daytona's is a lil more free flowing, and just a hair louder stock... but only a hair.

that said... magna flow is supposed to be amongst the tamest systems on the market. i dont think they garuntee a resonance free ride, like the super expensive corsa/zoomers do. however, out of the options you have listed. i can garuntee that it will DEFINATELY be the tamest.

the cylinder deactivation from MDS effectively changes our car from a big roaring v8.. I4 honda civic ehxuast note. this is the complaint people have because most exhaust systems are not designed around this noise.

the rear resonators, those things that your ehxuast tips are welded to, are designed by dodge to cancel that "drone" from MDS. removing them can cause it to be noticeable.

some dont care, some dont notice, some expect a luxury ride with aftermarket exhaust and it drives them up a wall.

my best advice, if your really worried, is to hook up with some guys local to you and see if some one can take you for a spin and show you what the cabin noise is like inside.

perosnally i have one of the more aggressive systems on the market, headers, high flow cats and cat back and the "drone" drone doesnt bother me a bit.

an install on a cat-back exhaust(what your gonna get..) is not gonna take any savvy tech more than 1 hour.. maybe 2 to complete. it all just fits together. and there isnt much to it.

maybe you can talk to your service manager who is hooking you up. perhaps he will let you try it for a week or 2 and if you dont love, replace the stock stuff for you.

shrug, its really hard to judge how each person will react to different exhaust. and i wish some magnaflow guys would chime in here...

here is a diagram i drew up in CAD at work one day. hope it helps you with some terminology:

best wishes,
miles

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks very, very much. dudeiwin86
That is exactly what I needed to hear.

So is it possible to add the stock resonators back on with a magna flow system or is that just a ridiculous thought?

I may try to get the borla first but would like to know my options for the resonators before going back to the dealer.

Thanks again very much.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
im not sure, however i want to say that the full cat-back system from magnaflow includers mid mufflers to replace your suitcase(uses 2 separate ones insteaed of one big one) as well as 2 rear resonators.

it isnt toooo likely, but almost wouldnt suprise me, if the dealer is going to chop out your suitcase, and weld in a muffler on each pipe, without actually instally the full system

these things run... something like 75 bucks a pop i want to say. so like 150 + install.

if thats the case, your resos will stay on, and drone wont be an issue. those are the most sound suppressive things in the world.

i cant say for certain what all exactly will be goin on
, but to answer question, yes it is possible to put your old resos back on if tehy do infact give u a full catback. you could just put them in place of the magna flow rear resos.

lil cuttin and weldin. no problemo.
you c an even cut off the tips that come on your stock resos and have an exhaust shop weld on some nice lookin tips.

also, borla makes 2 kits for the 5.7 . the 125's and the 112's. they are the same except that
the 125's do not have rear resonators and they have huge 5" tips(for looks) which are a sign of their sound. very aggressive and will give cabin resonance.
the 112's are quite a bit tamer, but not even as much as the magnaflows i dont think. and the 112's do have rear resos with like.. 3.5" tips on them or something. less aggressive look, and sound by a lot.

i cant remember if it was mentioned, but check out www.lxsoundclips.com there are a lot of different videos and sound clips of people recording their exhaust. on the right side of the page you will see a long list of different exhaust names. check those out. video will rarely give a truly accurate display of sound without high quality equip, but considering they are virutally all taken with the same level of cameras it still allows for good comparison between them

im still curious on this chrysler strike issue, some one else chime in come on!

good luck, keep us posted!

·
Registered
928 Posts
hahahah that diagram is so much better than your previous attempts ;) i see you have been practicing

the strike was resolved "tentatively" already

·
Registered
252 Posts
Magnaflows man out of those choices its a landslide

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sidblackbox x2. Get Cherry Bomb Vortex mufflers though, not Turbos

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So this is what I am going to shoot for before choosing one from the list they originally gave me.

Sent the email this afternoon, hopefully I will have an answer before the end of the day.

Corsa - Part Number: 14177 Dual Rear Exit Exit, Stainless Steel

Borla - Part Number: 140112
Split Rear Exit Cat-Back System With Single Round Angle Cut Tips

Zoomer - Part Number: API-1003
Short Barrel Dual Exhaust & 3" Polished Stainless Pipes w/Dual Cannon Tips

1 - 20 of 43 Posts