Charger Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to ask my fellow Charger owners if anyone out there has put on a Frankintake or any CAI and the chilly air mod? Does the chilly air mod make a noticeable difference? Also I've been reading about the 180 T-Stat and am still confused on if it wears the engine down quicker, or is it an overall good mod? I'm stationed on the coast of North Carolina, so the weather stays pretty warm year round if that has any bearing. Any input would be great.

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
you won't be able to do the same chilly air mod on the srt that you can do on the 5.7... the 6.1 fascia is different than the 5.7... you could remove the brake cooling duct though on the drivers side... I guess that would serve the same purpose

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
180° stat won't wear down the engine quicker. Higher temperature is for emissions.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you won't be able to do the same chilly air mod on the srt that you can do on the 5.7... the 6.1 fascia is different than the 5.7... you could remove the brake cooling duct though on the drivers side... I guess that would serve the same purpose
Thanks for the info. In that case I probably won't remove anything, unless someone has already removed the cooling duct with positive results? I'm not too anxious about removing or drilling anything just yet, except for the Frankintake.

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
Thanks for the info. In that case I probably won't remove anything, unless someone has already removed the cooling duct with positive results? I'm not too anxious about removing or drilling anything just yet, except for the Frankintake.
I've seen a few members across the different forums that have removed the brake cooling duct... I would keep it there for it's purpose though

you could always remove the master cylinder cover to let additional hot air out of the engine compartment... here's a pic of it and a lot of lx owners have done this

thread on it...http://www.lelandwest.com/auto-tech/heat-shield-removal-intake-tests.cfm

pic of it...

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I'd just get a GSM, BWoody or RDP?

·
Registered
5,160 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd just get a GSM, BWoody or RDP?
Those are T-State brands I'm assuming? And I'd have to ask, would the dealer or an inspection site notice the difference for the state inspections I must endure.

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
Those are T-State brands I'm assuming? And I'd have to ask, would the dealer or an inspection site notice the difference for the state inspections I must endure.
no... he was referring to cold air intakes...:beerchug:

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
You can do the chilly air mod on the SRT, it is a bit harder to do but it can be done. I had the 06 R/T w R/T and got an 08 SRT a little over a year ago. I took out the same piece of plastic that deflects air toward the radiator and turned it around so air will go toward the intake... It is more difficult because the brake duct makes it harder to get to.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will keep the chilly air mod in mind when I put my cold air intake on, hopefully someone has pictures posted or instructions for the SRT. I've already got the Frankintake waiting on me for when I get home, but thanks for the other suggestions. I won't be on here too much for a week or two as I will be in transit back to the states from Iraq, then the modding begins!

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Adam,
Not sure if there are pictures on the link to the "Chilly air mod" found in this list. Computer I am on won't let me look at the link... The procedure is pretty much the same for R/T and SRT. Good luck and welcome!! Lived down there in LA for six years 2000-2006...

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67858&highlight=chilly

Here is another discussion about removing that flap or not...

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73432&highlight=radiator+deflector

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
You can do the chilly air mod on the SRT, it is a bit harder to do but it can be done. I had the 06 R/T w R/T and got an 08 SRT a little over a year ago. I took out the same piece of plastic that deflects air toward the radiator and turned it around so air will go toward the intake... It is more difficult because the brake duct makes it harder to get to.
I did not know this... I kept hearing it couldn't be done... I will check your links on the other post:bigthumb:

can you do it without removing fascia or jacking car up?

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
You can do it without removing the whole facia. I did it in the driveway, just had to take some of the screws out to loosen the plastic piece under the brake duct where this piece meets the facia, this will allow you access to the two push in fasteners. As mentioned you can just pull the center pin out of those then pull the main part of that fastener out. There are two of them that hold the deflector in place. you can see it from the facia opening near where the brake duct and fog light are. Good luck. I am sure there are some pictures on here or on the LX fourm.

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
You can do it without removing the whole facia. I did it in the driveway, just had to take some of the screws out to loosen the plastic piece under the brake duct where this piece meets the facia, this will allow you access to the two push in fasteners. As mentioned you can just pull the center pin out of those then pull the main part of that fastener out. There are two of them that hold the deflector in place. you can see it from the facia opening near where the brake duct and fog light are. Good luck. I am sure there are some pictures on here or on the LX fourm.
thanks again! This is how I got it done on my SRT :banana:

I only removed the baffle piece though. I went in thru the lower grille with a flat head and removed the two push pins then scooped out the piece with a telescopic magnetic pick-up tool and duck tape on the end so it would stick to the baffle flap... here's a couple of pics...

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks again! This is how I got it done on my SRT :banana:

I only removed the baffle piece though. I went in thru the lower grille with a flat head and removed the two push pins then scooped out the piece with a telescopic magnetic pick-up tool and duck tape on the end so it would stick to the baffle flap... here's a couple of pics...

So you took the entire baffle out? I have seen that on other they reposition this piece but I am not sure if they take it out completely. Did you notice any difference in engine temp? Or did it really help the intake?

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
So you took the entire baffle out? I have seen that on other they reposition this piece but I am not sure if they take it out completely. Did you notice any difference in engine temp? Or did it really help the intake?
I just took the lower baffle piece out that you see in the pic... you can do it either way... remove it or use it as a scoop to direct air further towards the air filter

i haven't datalogged but from everything i've read on the other forums, it's a plus either way

1 - 17 of 17 Posts