Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw this on Fox News. Chevrolet will be discontinuing the Camaro once again after the 2023 model year.

I find it weird how the Camaro lagged that far behind both the Mustang and Challenger in sales, especially when that for the most part the Challenger looks the same as it did 12 model years ago.

I never got a Camaro due to a family and the practicality of the Charger, but I remember how excited I was when it was reintroduced in 2010. That car was/is badass. I remember driving one back around 2012 or so, but at the time was unable to afford it.

I'll admit the 2019 front end is ugly. They really dropped the ball there. But with them killing it off in 4 years that'll leave only the Mustang, Challenger, and Charger as classic rear-wheel drive American muscle cars. I'm beginning to wonder when we will get a glimpse or some new info on the 2021 Chargers.

Not to branch off, but I know everything is becoming turbo 4 or 6 cylinders, or all electric, which I understand, but I still thought there was a niche market for the American V8's. I'll just repeat myself once again and say that I have no issue with it, but it'll be a reason I hand onto my 392.

Anyway, what a shame. I always loved the Camaro.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to list the average numbers for 2018 sales.

Mustang - 75,842
Challenger - 66,716
Camaro - 50,963
Charger - 80,226

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
This story has taken off on the forums and a lot are seeing this as Chevy concentrating on the new Corvette, trucks and SUV's. If sales do not pick up dramatically, the Camaro is probably history.

I have heard that Dodge has no plans to change the Charger or Challenger in 2021. Maybe out in 2022/2023, but my guess is what you see is what you will get until the Charger leaves like the Camaro, followed by the Challenger. Depends on sales, as long as Dodge can keep mixing up the performance and cosmetic options with positive results they have no incentive to change the platform. Jeep and Ram will get all the attention.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This story has taken off on the forums and a lot are seeing this as Chevy concentrating on the new Corvette, trucks and SUV's. If sales do not pick up dramatically, the Camaro is probably history.

I have heard that Dodge has no plans to change the Charger or Challenger in 2021. Maybe out in 2022/2023, but my guess is what you see is what you will get until the Charger leaves like the Camaro, followed by the Challenger. Depends on sales, as long as Dodge can keep mixing up the performance and cosmetic options with positive results they have no incentive to change the platform. Jeep and Ram will get all the attention.
I remember reading late last year and early this year that 2021 or 2022 would be the introduction of the all new Charger and Challengers, but that's about all I've seen. Nothing more than reports.

You do have a point. If FCA can keep solid numbers with the current models, then why change for such a small market. Considering that almost a million Ford F-150s and 600,000 RAM 1500s were sold in 2018, the Mustang/Charger/Challenger market is very small.

I just find it odd that unless they keep the same body but refresh it's looks entirely that they'd go beyond 7 model years, which would be 2021, with the same look. Then again, the Durango has also looked relatively the same since 2011.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Dodge just teased the new 2020 Charger. Looks like it will be the Widebody, available on the Hellcat and also the Scat Pack. If this sells like I think it will, no need to fix something that is not broke. The old platform is reliable at least.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Doesn't surprise me at all that GM is killing the Camaro...after reading last week that the EU outlawed it's sale next year...I know...many members have said the sales in EU are so low it doesn;t matter...Well..maybe it does to the thoughts of the public....Remember the Oldsmobile..! If so, it's a shame that Gov'ts can dictate car models that we are allowed to buy...!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts