Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend of mine will never drive a car off a dealers lot unless he first retorques all the wheels. I'm beginning to understand why!

Painted the calipers this weekend, and was shocked at the varying amount of torque. Went from barely finger tight, to socket breaking tight. Yes, I actually broke a 1/2 socket attached to a 24" breaker bar. I have no idea what the torque was, but one hand was at the pivot and the other at the end of the breaker bar. It was WAY OVER the specified 90 ftlb requirement.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to check mine since the dealer has done an alignment on it a few months ago.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
WHEN YOU PUT NEW WHEELS ON ANY CAR YOU SHOULD ALWAYS TORQUE THEM TO SPEC and a 100 miles or so retorque them. i have custom wheels on my ride and damm it they have come loose twice. be dumb chance i checked them for the 2nd time in 600 miles and they were loose again

·
Registered
439 Posts
Friend of mine will never drive a car off a dealers lot unless he first retorques all the wheels. I'm beginning to understand why!

Painted the calipers this weekend, and was shocked at the varying amount of torque. Went from barely finger tight, to socket breaking tight. Yes, I actually broke a 1/2 socket attached to a 24" breaker bar. I have no idea what the torque was, but one hand was at the pivot and the other at the end of the breaker bar. It was WAY OVER the specified 90 ftlb requirement.
I thought I read some where it's 110 ft.lbs. ? Maybe it depends on which wheels you have?

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought I read some where it's 110 ft.lbs. ? Maybe it depends on which wheels you have?
I could have sworn it was 90, but will check the manual again.

·
Registered
63 Posts
when I had aftermarket wheels put on, the shop hand torqued them to 85ft-lbs. That's what I'm going with.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Found the page in the LX service manual for lug nut torque, says 110 ft.lbs.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts