Charger Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm driving home in a monsoon yesterday and my check engine light came on. I didn't think much of it initially because I though the rain might have something to do with it. However it's still on today and it'a a perfect sunny day. I have 3400 miles on it and the car is running great.... should I wait it out another day, pull the negative for a bit, or run right to the stealer....

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
to check the codes turn the car to acc,on,acc,on,acc,on then the codes will flash they will start with a ----- then display the code then say DONE when all finished. DO NOT START THE CAR during this test, it is completly done with the engine off.

When you have a code, look it up under the search function in chargerforums.

I hate going to the dealer for a loose or wet wire that I can fix myself in 3 minutes.

My bet is that it will throw a code for misfire because a coil pack got wet. Clear code and problem solved.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had you filled up shortly before the light came on? That happened to me. If you don't get the gas cap on tight enough, it can cause the light to come on.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Had you filled up shortly before the light came on? That happened to me. If you don't get the gas cap on tight enough, it can cause the light to come on.
Evap leak

but chances are it's something else most of the time...

If your dealer is worth anything, you can just show up and have somebody walk out with starscan...I do it all the time for customers, to see if it's even worth their time to stay.

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
X2

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys!

I pulled the negative cable, code has cleared (so far). Go Man, thanks for the info on checking the codes, I'm sure that will be helpful since I'm not a fan of going to the dealer for every little thing as well.

BTW:
Just to be sure all is well I ran 0-60 this morning and turned a 4.44.... gotta love cool New England Weather! Now that the weather is cool and I can launch consistantly I'll be heading to New England Dragway on Wed or Fri night to see how she runs the 1/4. I'll post my slips shortly

·
Registered
628 Posts
Thanks guys!

I pulled the negative cable, code has cleared (so far). Go Man, thanks for the info on checking the codes, I'm sure that will be helpful since I'm not a fan of going to the dealer for every little thing as well.

BTW:
Just to be sure all is well I ran 0-60 this morning and turned a 4.44.... gotta love cool New England Weather! Now that the weather is cool and I can launch consistantly I'll be heading to New England Dragway on Wed or Fri night to see how she runs the 1/4. I'll post my slips shortly
Doing that still leaves the code in the system, I'd suggest having somebody with starscan erase the DTC for you.

·
Registered
410 Posts
to check the codes turn the car to acc,on,acc,on,acc,on then the codes will flash they will start with a ----- then display the code then say DONE when all finished. DO NOT START THE CAR during this test, it is completly done with the engine off.

When you have a code, look it up under the search function in chargerforums.

I hate going to the dealer for a loose or wet wire that I can fix myself in 3 minutes.

My bet is that it will throw a code for misfire because a coil pack got wet. Clear code and problem solved.
Tried this on my 06 ... only 6 beeps after last on... Is this an 07 function only?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Tried this on my 06 ... only 6 beeps after last on... Is this an 07 function only?
It works on my 06 Magnum. If you still have a CEL at our M&G coming up. I will show you how to check the code.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Funny thing ... I did it and then no check engine light ... weird...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts