Charger Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home last night when all of sudden the check engine light came on. I have a 07 Torred SRT8 charger with a cat-back, AFE CAI, 170stat with about 10,000 miles on it. What do you guys think. It did that once b4 when i installed the cai, so all i did was disconnect the battery and it whent away, that was about a month ago. So today it came back again. Should i go to the dealer or do you guys have any tips. thanks

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
your thermostat is what kicked it off, I think. Willing to bet if you get the code checked it will be P0128. Take it to Autozone, and have them read the code and see if that is the code that came up. With the cooler weather we are having now, that stat is keeping the vehicle from completely warming up.

·
Registered
731 Posts
So far the 170 thermostats seem to be kicking the code on in cooler weather. The 183's seem to be doing fine. I have the 183 and it was 35 degrees the past few days and no codes. Knock on wood........

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok so i went the dealer today, they said they have to flush the coolant system because of the ammomia collecting on the bottom, the code was TSB, anybody else had to do this?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Yep I did

I had to go have it done also, had milky sh_t in the coolant also, replaced coolant tank, flushed system and added some additive to new coolant to prevent it form coming back, free of charge.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Same here???

Well I had the same thing tonight. I have a 2007 SRT8 Torred Charger with a Mopar CAI and 180 t-stat. It was 50* outside and it ran ok but the light came on going down the road?? What do you guys think?? I can't get it to the dealer till Monday and I don't know what dealer close to me that I trust.

·
Registered
740 Posts
most likely the t-stat is triggering your CEL. on startup, the computer is looking for the engine to "hit" a certain temperature w/in a certain period of time. run in autostick, get the temp up to 190, and you won't see those lights. yes, some people have switched from the 176 to the 180 to avoid this.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I had the same thing tonight. I have a 2007 SRT8 Torred Charger with a Mopar CAI and 180 t-stat. It was 50* outside and it ran ok but the light came on going down the road?? What do you guys think?? I can't get it to the dealer till Monday and I don't know what dealer close to me that I trust.

Its not really a trustworthy thing all they do is hook up the computer to your car and tells them what the check light means, any dealer can do that. You probably have the same exact problem as i did, its prolly your coolant. I dont think your thermostat has anything to do with this like the other guys posted, but I maybe wrong

·
Registered
36 Posts
most likely the t-stat is triggering your CEL. on startup, the computer is looking for the engine to "hit" a certain temperature w/in a certain period of time. run in autostick, get the temp up to 190, and you won't see those lights. yes, some people have switched from the 176 to the 180 to avoid this.

I have the 180 but you know I was playing with the auto-stick a little before it was real warm, will it reset itself or do I need the dealer to do this?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also when the check engine light is on but not blinking your probably ok for a couple of days, when the light begins to blink thats when theres a serious problem

·
Registered
36 Posts
Also when the check engine light is on but not blinking your probably ok for a couple of days, when the light begins to blink thats when theres a serious problem
The car only has 1780 miles and about 8 weeks old. The coolant looks like new still, light just stays on, not blinking.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have the 180 but you know I was playing with the auto-stick a little before it was real warm, will it reset itself or do I need the dealer to do this?
i pulled a fuse to reset, forgot which one it was.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts