Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the car a few weeks ago, with Magnaflow cat back exhaust already on the car ... a couple of weeks of driving and the check engine light came on ... Code says O2 sensor ... Dealer says aftermarket exhaust is problem and won't fix light ... They reset light ... couple of days pass ... Light comes back on ...

Tons of people have cat-back exhausts on their cars ... Are they to expect me to believe all of them are running around with check engine lights on ???

I don't by it...

Thinking of going to a different dealer... :cry:

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
The dealer does have the right to refuse it. Someone else has modified the vehicle from what it was factory wise and 99% of the time i promise you its the fault of the aftermarket part or installation. They have the right to refuse it because it is not the way it was stock. They cant even get into diagnosing it cause who's gonna pay that tech his time if its due to your exhaust?? You dont pay the dealer cause you expect it to be warranty, warranty doesn t pay because its not their fault so in the long run it makes more sence not to touch the car from the dealers stand point. If you knew how the warranty tech pay system works in dealers you would fully understand. I'm not defending them in any way but this is the case.
Who put the kit on? A small leak will set an o2 code on every car out there. Nothing else,(unless the mechanic damaged o2 sensor, which is common) would cause it based on the cat back. Check for leaks. If you did the install yourself, put stock back on and see if the code goes away. If it does youprobably have a leak. If it doesnt you most likely have a crap o2 that whoever installed it first time damaged. There are other possiblities too but other things would have set other codes in conjunction with this one

·
Registered
519 Posts
The dealer does have the right to refuse it. Someone else has modified the vehicle from what it was factory wise and 99% of the time i promise you its the fault of the aftermarket part or installation. They have the right to refuse it because it is not the way it was stock. They cant even get into diagnosing it cause who's gonna pay that tech his time if its due to your exhaust?? You dont pay the dealer cause you expect it to be warranty, warranty doesn t pay because its not their fault so in the long run it makes more sence not to touch the car from the dealers stand point. (snip)
Good feedback! It illustrates one of the downfalls, should something go wrong with an aftermarket exhaust system.

As far as I am concerned, it makes me think twice whether I want to go ahead and install the new Magnaflow mufflers, with the pipes etc...

Initially I thought it might be nice, and went and got a quote; but considering the pros and cons, and possible consequences such as warranty issues, maintenance, and perhaps a citation (for amplifying the muffler sound beyond factory settings) have made me think twice. At this time I am more or less in "wait and see" mode".

Momma said: "Spend that $$$ on a kick-butt audio system instead."

·
Banned
8,603 Posts
You shouldnt get a CEL with Magnaflow catbacks but Magnaflow Mids with Hi-flow cats cause a CEL on some cars......If your mid pipes are 3" instead of 2.5" you have them. (mid pipes are the section of pipes that connect to the headers and have the cats on them...in case you didnt know)...

If you want the CEL out just pull fuse 11 for a few minutes...otherwise the light should go out after a few days....though it will probably come on again for a while....You can ignore it as nothing is damaging the car...unless it starts blinking..then you need to stop the engine ASAP..

This is just a thought as a lot here that have catbacks have bought the mids.....the CEL can be caused by other issues as mentioned in the above posts..

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback ... Like I said ... the magnaflows were there when I bought the car... so ... I guess I'll deal with it a bit ... O2 sensors are not terribly expensive ... Maybe I'll have the one that's flashing the code replaced and see if it work s.....

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
dont just replace the sensor. There are 4 o2 sensors and each code is specific to each one. Swap the one bad one with drivers/ passenger side of other sensor. Ex. if its passenger upstream switch with drivers upstream, but dont switch upstream and down stream. Reset the light. If you get the same code again you have a problem on that side. If the code changes then it is the sensor you just moved.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
The dealer does have the right to refuse it. Someone else has modified the vehicle from what it was factory wise and 99% of the time i promise you its the fault of the aftermarket part or installation. They have the right to refuse it because it is not the way it was stock. They cant even get into diagnosing it cause who's gonna pay that tech his time if its due to your exhaust?? You dont pay the dealer cause you expect it to be warranty, warranty doesn t pay because its not their fault so in the long run it makes more sence not to touch the car from the dealers stand point. If you knew how the warranty tech pay system works in dealers you would fully understand. I'm not defending them in any way but this is the case.
Who put the kit on? A small leak will set an o2 code on every car out there. Nothing else,(unless the mechanic damaged o2 sensor, which is common) would cause it based on the cat back. Check for leaks. If you did the install yourself, put stock back on and see if the code goes away. If it does youprobably have a leak. If it doesnt you most likely have a crap o2 that whoever installed it first time damaged. There are other possiblities too but other things would have set other codes in conjunction with this one
Do they have a right to refuse, was it a certified car? I dont think they could refuse if it was as they sold it with the exhaust on it......

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
dont just replace the sensor. There are 4 o2 sensors and each code is specific to each one. Swap the one bad one with drivers/ passenger side of other sensor. Ex. if its passenger upstream switch with drivers upstream, but dont switch upstream and down stream. Reset the light. If you get the same code again you have a problem on that side. If the code changes then it is the sensor you just moved.
Would new O2 sensors change the "Cat Efficiency" code CEL I'm getting w/ the hi-flos? If not, is my only choice to wait for the Diablo Tuner?

With the Diablo, will it still pass emissions once warmed up?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good call ... swap the sensors ... see if it's a sensor or a specific problem ... I'll do that this weekend...

·
Registered
82 Posts
To the thread starter:

As long as you have our cat-back ONLY the dealership can not void your warranty on the 02 sensors, any emissions component, or anything else aside from the actual Magnaflow part. Below is a very helpful link in you situation and is good info for all to be aware of.

http://www.magnaflow.com/07techtips/faq/question20.asp

1 - 11 of 11 Posts